Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Autism and Behavioral Profiling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2006, 8:08 am
Original Poster

My son has autism and we are concerned that he might have problems with TSA behavioral profiling. He is flying home for the holidays in two weeks. He is high functioning, able to hold down a job and live independently. However, he has problems with eye contact and small talk, especially with people he doesn't know. What might TSA do if he doesn't make eye contact and is reluctant to do small talk? Will they let him on the plane without undergoing an extensive security search? Would it be best to carry a note from a doctor explaining the situation?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 8:17 am

I might just have him bring a note along that explains that he has autism... not necessarily from a doctor.

On the otherhand, if the MD will write one, he could always have it in reserve.

Start without any letter and see what they do. If he needs it, pull out the generic letter of explanation and if they refuse that, then pull out the MD letter.

Let the TSA ratchet up the necessary information, otherwise you'll never know what would be bare minimum.

Good luck. My sister's retarded and is apt to say things like "no guns in there". It's pretty obvious that she's retarded, but still a couple of times the TSAs have said, "WHAT?"

But then I accompany her when she travels so it's a different dynamic..

Rita
Old Dec 10, 2006, 8:26 am

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
Well, carrying a note can't help, but presumably he flew to where he is now or has flown in the past?

I would expect, based on my contacts with the TSA, that he'd very likely encouter mostly sympathetic people, but they certainly are (and should be) rigid in enforcing the rules.

So if he doesn't run afoul of the rules in other crowded or sometimes tense situations then all I'd do is get to the airport very very early in order to reduce stress and give him plenty of time in case there is an issue.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 8:46 am
Original Poster

We drove him out to where he lives now. Although he has flown before, this is the first time he will be flying by himself. He is independent, has his own apartment, can drive to work, so flying by himself should not be a problem.

However, He is flying out of Logan, where passengers are profiled by behavior. The reason for any concern is that a TSO might decide he's up to no good, because of poor eye contact and trouble answering questions.

Last edited by jennifer2456; Dec 10, 2006 at 9:13 am
Old Dec 10, 2006, 9:43 am

Programs: FB-Gold, SPG-Plat, Priority Club-Plat
Jennifer, I wish your son all good luck in his journey. Can you imagine what a confidence builder this would be for him - and your family upon the completion of his trip. Leave it to your better judgement concerning a note, but many of us will pray for him and wish him good luck and a happy trip.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:03 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
I understand completely as my son has Aspergers Syndrome.
I would talk to him about how he would feel about holding a note in reserve-his decision to make though. Real rite of passage this journey I know-and chances are tougher on you than on him !!
Good luck and please post how it went.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.