Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Travelling on AA with a Segway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:05 am
Original Poster

I am cross-posting this at the suggestion of an FT member from the AA forum:

Ok, so I'm going from DCA to LAS in a few weeks, and intend on travelling with my Segway HT. There are several ways for me to do so, including gate checking, checking the entire Segway intact at the counter, or packing it in pieces. My preference would be to counter-check it intact.

According to AA:
http://www.aa.com/content/travelInf...Allowance.jhtml

"Mobility Devices Wheelchairs/scooters, braces or other assistive devices are accepted free of charge as checked baggage and are in addition to the normal checked baggage allowance. There are special handling procedures for motorized equipment. Please contact an American Airlines representative at 1-800-433-7300 for detailed information."

Now, the language does not specifically require the passenger travelling with the "mobility device" to be disabled, although it would be possible for the travelling passenger to be taking a mobility device to a friend/family member at the destination city.

So, with all this pre-text, does anyone have any experience travelling with a Segway on AA?

Thanks,
John
Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:25 pm

No experience with checking a Segway, sorry.

Here's a description of someone taking a Segway on Air France: http://www.noehill.com/travel/amseg/amseg02.asp.

I'm slightly horrified at the idea of a non-disabled person pulling a disabled card in order to get some his baggage accepted free of charge, though.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:24 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Excuse me?

Does this mean you think I can check my mountain bike under the disability rules rather than pay the $75 baggage fee?

Last edited by lili; Dec 29, 2004 at 10:26 pm
Old Dec 30, 2004, 7:31 am

Programs: United MP
If someone was taking the device to someone, but didn't need it himself, I don't think he can transport it under rules for those with disabilities. If you're looking for a loophole, consider how difficult you will make it for those with legitimate needs. This is probably why everything for the disable requires doctors notes.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 3:53 pm

Programs: Ex UA PremEx
Since when is a segway a mobility device?

I am not sure if the airlines will even consider it as a mobility device..and I would hope not.

My advice is leave the segway at home and use your legs..while you still can and be greatfeul that you are able to

Phoebe
Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:36 pm

[QUOTE=DeafFlyer]If someone was taking the device to someone, but didn't need it himself, I don't think he can transport it under rules for those with disabilities. [QUOTE]

Interesting question, though. I know I've had service animals on my flight who were not traveling with their companion. One traveling to meet their new owner, and other's own was recently desisted. We didn’t charge in either case.

Also, I don’t think you have to have a doctor’s note. As witnessed by anyone who’s flown into FLL with 12 people needing wheelchairs to get on, and only 2 needing them to get off.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:20 pm

Programs: United MP
The doctor's note comment was referring to the having to prove I'm disabled for all kinds of things. Someone abusing the rules makes things harder for the rest of us. So, of course you generally don't need a doctor's note to fly. (Although SAS and LH did require me to get one in 2001.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.