Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat cushion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2017, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Seat cushion

Good day all! I will be on a 14-hr flight late September. I am a high-level quadriplegic, so one of my main concerns is pressure relief from sitting for so long. On one of my previous flights, I've put my wheelchair cushion on top of the standard plane cushion, but at 6'4, this caused me to sit too high in the seat, which was very uncomfortable. I read somewhere of others having the airline remove the plane's seat cushion, using their personal cushion instead. Has anyone had experience with this? Are airlines willing to do this (after all, the seat cushions are floatation devices)? I will be flying JAL out of JFK. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:59 am

I think it would depend on the airlines technical department.All aircraft seat cushions and covers need to meet FAR fire regulations including the foam and covers which are all fire retardent.It could possible end up with you having to test your cushion or similar material to meet the specs.Having said that this would probably be the worst case scenario.
Suggest asking well in advance and if initial answer is no start talking about FAR 25 fire specs.
Good Luck.cheers
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:45 pm

What about a thinner cushion? Roho makes a sport cushion, as does Stimulite. I like the Stimulite cushion because then I don't have to worry about increased air pressure in the Roho.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
It's funny that as long as I've been flying I've never thought of removing the seat cushion. I use a 4 inch Roho cushion and have the same problem with my elbows way above the armrests and have endured many 14 hour and longer flights and my shoulders are always killing me at the end. I've got a flight Monday and I'm going to try taking out the standard seat cushion (which is only Velcroed on and are getting thinner and thinner) and just putting it under the seat and using my Roho on the seat base. Thanks for the idea and I will definitely report back!

As for the other suggestions I'm sure the cabin crew could care less about what FAR you're violating as long as you get seated before the herd comes charging down the aisle. I've also tried both the 2 inch Roho and the Stimulite cushion and unfortunately they just don't provide proper support for me after having sore issues in the past.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:33 am

I have done this on numerous international flights, to various destinations, with different airlines.

You will presumably be travelling with a companion. Just before they lift you into your seat ask your companion to remove the airline cushion and replace it with your wheelchair cushion. It's a simple process, the airline cushion is only held in place by Velcro and lifts out easily.

If you don't make a big deal out of it nobody will be any the wiser (no need for official requests, etc), and the aircraft staff will be a lot happier that you are comfortable.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rollthere
It's funny that as long as I've been flying I've never thought of removing the seat cushion. I use a 4 inch Roho cushion and have the same problem with my elbows way above the armrests and have endured many 14 hour and longer flights and my shoulders are always killing me at the end. I've got a flight Monday and I'm going to try taking out the standard seat cushion (which is only Velcroed on and are getting thinner and thinner) and just putting it under the seat and using my Roho on the seat base. Thanks for the idea and I will definitely report back!
I'm anxious to hear your report! I received this response from another forum, which is sadly what I expect...

I have requested to remove a seat to replace with my cushion and the airline (I believe it was United or American) said I could not remove the cushion due to FAA regulations. I don't know if they were just being unaccommodating or there is something with the crash testing of the aircraft that requires no changes to the passenger accommodations. It has been my experience that foreign flagged carriers (ANA or JAL if you are going to Tokyo) are much more willing to accommodate than US carriers. I am 6'2" so I'm in the same boat that I cannot sit on my cushion on top of the seat since it makes the seat back fit weird, so I just end up doing a 30-60 second weight shift every 1/2-1 hour. Good luck on your flight! I hope you have fun in Japan.

Last edited by Katja; Aug 17, 2017 at 4:01 pm Reason: fixed quoted selection
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by HiltonP
I have done this on numerous international flights, to various destinations, with different airlines.

You will presumably be travelling with a companion. Just before they lift you into your seat ask your companion to remove the airline cushion and replace it with your wheelchair cushion. It's a simple process, the airline cushion is only held in place by Velcro and lifts out easily.

If you don't make a big deal out of it nobody will be any the wiser (no need for official requests, etc), and the aircraft staff will be a lot happier that you are comfortable.
Does this work with the new slimline seats? If that is what they are called?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HiltonP

Hi, and where does one then put the airline cushion?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by duceno1
Hi, and where does one then put the airline cushion?
Under the seat?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Well unfortunately my first try at this approach didn't work out. I guess it didn't help that I was sitting in the very front row of first-class and the flight attendant immediately said no we couldn't do that for safety reasons. He could never tell me just what the safety reasons were only that he wished we could do it but "safety reasons" regarding the way seats recline on Airbus aircraft prevented us, but that we would be okay doing it on a Boeing aircraft. ...?. I think if you're flying in economy will be subject to less eyeballs and might be able to do it more easily. Or just wait until your aisle chair is right next to the seat and quickly rip off the airline seat cushion and throw in your wheelchair cushion quickly and have them lift you on the count of three. By that time you're sitting on your own cushion and it will be a lot more difficult to get the airline cushion back on the seat! Give it a try, at least someone else on the forum has had luck with that approach and I hope to try it again. For better or worse most of my traveling is in business class and the seat cushion is usually integrated into the leg rest and is very difficult to remove just the seat cushion.

As for where to put the seat cushion, they are so crappy these days that they will easily fold up and go under the seat in front of you or under your own seat, or even in the overhead bin.

Anyone here that has had recent experience or has any experience before the OP leaves in October please post it. I would also appreciate hearing others luck putting their own cushion on the airline seat base.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I bought a fairly comfortable cushion for my last flight. My biggest hurdle, is when leaving the plane, herding my kid, lots of carryon luggage and such, I always manage to leave something. This time, my brand new cushion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.