Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

How to escalate useless response from Lufthansa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2010, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Gold

I used Lufthansa's web complaint form to relate an incident last month transiting Frankfurt:

Arriving at a hard stand as a "wheelchair, can do steps" traveler, I was given assistance onto the normal bus to get to the termianal.

At the terminal, there was no assistance waiting. Another passenger moved my manual chair off and the driver came around to help me down and into my chair.

I rolled inside and presented myself at the disabled assistance podium just inside the terminal. An agent there directed me to "take the elevator" to get to my connecting flight. I made the mistake of thinking it would be an easy roll, but it turned out to be a very long transit that included barriers deigned to prevent carts.

After a delay of several weeks, here is the key extract from their response:

"A review of our records verifies that wheelchair assistance was sent to greet our passengers arriving at the terminal on board LH455 on January 23, 2010. The wheelchair attendant was waiting for you and announced your name; however, no response was received. Rest assured that it is our intention to get customers needing wheelchair assistance to their gates in a timely manner. "

That is simply NOT what happened.

Suggestions on how to escalate this matter?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:01 pm

Programs: United MP
Not sure how to escalate it, but their response suggests that if I did not hear them then they would eave me there, which is unacceptable. Also, how many other people were there in wheelchairs at the same time as you? How hard could it be to check each one?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 6:28 pm

You might respond stating that Lufthansa did not comply with the new EU legislation concerning those flying with a mobility disability (these regulations went into effect in the summer of 2008). One of the stipulations is that the airport is responsible for supplying what is needed for you to safely deplane/board, ie, assistance deplaning. See if that gets a more useful response.

In future, I suggest that you do not leave the plane until whatever assistance you require is there. As long as you are on board the plane, a member of the flight crew must remain on board with you. Once you and your wheelchair are on the jetway/on the hardstand, they're free to leave. This gives the flight crew a strong incentive to help you get the assistance you need.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 4:19 am

Allthough Katja is spot, I would not hold my breath for LH nor FRA special care dep. to actually even recognize your complaint. Heck, for them even understanding it to begin with. They wont. You can go up the ladder, but still the effect will be the same; problem not being heard. I've wrestled with many a manager and higher with no result other than LH upgrading me to business, thinking that would magically make the problem disappear.

The only thing higher than LH is the EU. I'm doubtfull that they will act upon your complaint, which would be looked at as a relative 'minor' problem and a one time event. (they did look into my situation)

My advice? Stay clear from LH and FRA at all cost. Proceed with this only if you don't mind spending more energy with about a 99% shot of no result what so ever.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

I was only wheelchair pax?

I believe I was the only wheelchair passenger. On arrival, I thought I had plenty of time for my connection, so I was happy to comply with the cabin crew's suggestion to wait until the end. Then, when we were sent to a hard stand there was a further delay because the only stairs available were for smaller planes.

i had several conversations with the cabin crew about using the stairs vs. waiting for a lift truck. Since my next leg was on an ATR, I had been happy to be listed as "wheelchair, can do steps" - the few steps on the airstair into the ATR are OK for me.

When I saw that I would need to do the 747 stairs and that they then expected me to walk across the wet tarmac to the bus - I said I wanted the lift truck. Only then did they agree to bring my own chair from the hold to the bottom of the steps.

The "don't leave the plane" advice is always the ultimate answer, but in this case I had good assistance onto the shuttle bus. It was only getting off the bus at the far end that the serious problems started.

Meanwhile, a hard copy letter has arrived referencing an email that I have not seen; the letter included a modest gift card - not at all what I'm looking for. I'm interested in avoiding problems in the future!

In retrospect, I can only assume that someone met one of the first buses and did not wait for the last bus. That was the first problem. The lack of assistance once I presented myself inside the terminal remains inexplicable to me.

Bottom line - in my current condition I need an intermediate level of assistance for "can only do a few steps". Germany remains highly problematic for me - thinking of the time in Munich were my chair was tagged "deliver at aircraft", yet they expected me to walk up the lengthly jet way that did not even have handrails.

On the other hand, they've sometimes been extremely helpful there. What to do? Build in more time for connections and never assume...
Old Mar 4, 2010, 9:41 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
shyabrasive, I had somewhat similar problems at FRA (arriving on Qantas but I think the ground crew were LH) as documented in this thread here. My impression was that expressed above by flyingwheels - they really don't care. I have added FRA (and as much as possible, QF international) to my personal "No Fly List."

I was also advised to wait for the wheelchair before leaving the plane, but on at least one occasion, two different flight attendants apparently saw the one wheelchair and told two of us (in different parts of a 747) that there was a chair for us. I came out second best. When I got to the door and the wheelchair attendant was pushing the other person up the jetway, she called back to me "follow me, there's another chair at the end of the jetway." She didn't tell me that it was a LONG way there, and of course, there wasn't another chair there. But by then I was off the plane.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:53 am

Shy; one problem lies with the 'can do steps'. Airlines tend not to differentiate between some steps and 1000 steps. If you have a limited amount, do yourself the favor of filling in no steps. You'ld rather have a higher mobility than they reckoned than the other way round.

But more important; the problem with LH and FRA are of such a size even their own staff is complaining about it. I've had large part of the crew, including the pilot, very strongly ask me to please file a complaint as they experience major problems with special needs situations apparently more often than not. Says it all, imho.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Err on conservative side; problems are common

Indeed, going to "no steps" is the proper thing to do. I just wanted to keep the ATR ground crew from needing to haul out a ramp or lift truck.

The larger issue is that something is broken in Frankfurt. The Lufthansa employee who went out of her way to get me to the gate on time whispered in my ear that I needed to complain. That's why I think I need to do something outside of Lufthansa's system.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old May 17, 2010, 6:18 am
DWG

Originally Posted by flyingwheels
The only thing higher than LH is the EU.
That's not actually the case under EC 1107/2006 (the EU law covering air travel by 'persons with reduced mobility'). There are two things to clarify here: who you need to complain about and who you need to complain to.

'Complaining about' first: EC 1107/2006 transfers the responsibility for handling of PRMs to the airport; outbound from point of arrival at the airport all the way up to the door of the aircraft and inbound from the door of the aircraft all the way to leaving the airport. So in the case we're discussing here Frankfurt Airport is at fault rather than Lufthansa (though a decent airline should be proactive in forwarding customer complaints about service received, they're the ones actually being charged for the service by the airport).

'Complaining to': EC 1107/2006 mandates that each nation designate both a complaints and an enforcement body to deal with failures to implement the requirements of the law. The UK split the role with the Equalities and Human Rights Commission being the complaints body and the CAA the enforcement body. I'm not sure how Germany allocated the role, but the enforcement body is apparently the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Deutscher Verkehrsflughäfen,
Gertraudenstr. 20
10178 Berlin
Tel : 030 - -31 01 18-0
Fax : 030 – 31 01 18-90
who should be able to tell you how to register a complaint.

I'm not really up on how implementation is going in countries other than the UK, but the suggestion seems to be that the UK has been better at publicising the new passenger rights and more proactive in enforcing them than is typical. The EHRC have a bunch of information on the revised legal situation at http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/y...gs/air-travel/ And while this is UK focussed remember that the rights apply to any flight within, into or out of the EU regardless of carrier or airport, the only thing that changes by nationality of airline/airport is who you need to complain to.

EC 1107/2006 itself is actually surprisingly concise and readable and well worth a look if you want to understand your rights -- or to print off a copy to wave under someone's nose The officially published text can be found here: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...01:0009:EN:PDF

We don't have a complete solution yet, and enforcement apparently varies, but the law has shifted considerably in our favour.
Old May 21, 2010, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the detailed response!

I'll file that away for the future.

To update, LH customer service did a second response - weeks late - that was slightly better, but contradicted some of what they said the first time.

At this late date, I'm focused on a purely leisure trip in July to see this year's total solar eclipse on the 11th. The very same day as the World Cup final - quite the coincidence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.