FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Things You Order To Make The Server Say "huh?" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/878874-things-you-order-make-server-say-huh.html)

Marathon Man Dec 1, 2008 9:33 am

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike (Post 10545978)

I have one personal explanation that I need to make: I like to, on occasion, drink Water Moccasins. I've never come across a bartender who knows what it is.

schnapps, Crown Royal Canadian whisky, triple sec and sweet and sour mix

dartagnan Dec 1, 2008 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by graraps (Post 10837263)
To be fair to them, there are literally thousands of cocktails and cocktail names the world over, and even the supposedly "classic" ones have many different versions, so, unless it's in the menu, I never ask for a cocktail by name.

I ordered a club soda from a bartender the other night. She looked at me blankly, so I repeated the order.

She then asked me how to make a club soda.

::facepalm::

Macspreader Dec 1, 2008 1:27 pm

Still to find a USA establishment that can make a decent cup of tea .......

DJ Bitterbarn Dec 2, 2008 4:53 am

In the words of the late, great Mitch Hedberg:

“I went to a restaurant and I ordered a chicken sandwich, but I don’t think the waitress heard me ’cause she asked how I’d like my eggs. So I tried answering her anyways. ‘INCUBATED! Then hatched, then raised, then beheaded, then plucked, then cut up, then put onto a grill, then put onto a bun. Damn, it’s gonna take a while. I don’t have the time. Scrambled!’”

dchristiva Dec 2, 2008 8:23 am

One of my favorite winter drinks is a Snowball, with either lemon-lime soda or lemonade mixed with Advocaat. I've rarely found a bar that has Advocaat, so I generally have to enjoy them at home. Ordering one from a waitperson or bartender usually elicits "what's in that?" followed by a frown when I say "Advocaat".

graraps Dec 2, 2008 8:23 am

Originally Posted by dartagnan (Post 10838362)
I ordered a club soda from a bartender the other night. She looked at me blankly, so I repeated the order.

She then asked me how to make a club soda.

::facepalm::

Next time you should go in with Tuborg brochures explaining the process. :p

crabbing Dec 2, 2008 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by mlshanks (Post 10588633)
If you call in advance, my favorite Russian restaurant will have a bottle of your favorite Vodka frozen *in the middle* of a block of ice with nothing but the neck exposed, ready for pouring neat. Nastrovya!

gde eta restoran? is it in the LA area, or somewhere else?

CEB Dec 3, 2008 11:46 pm

How about a Martini?

More humorous than anything else, but it always tells me something about the bartender, waitress or establishment when I order a Martini and get the response, "Vodka?" Even more funny is when ordering my usual favorite, a Sapphire Martini, extra dry and getting the same response!:rolleyes:

maberlin Dec 4, 2008 3:40 am

The Classic "Off the Menu" Clip

Jack Nicholson from Five Easy Pieces

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElNpwX_8YpQ

YXU Dude Dec 5, 2008 2:28 am

two befuddled looks:

on the face of the server when visit my dad (who never eats breakfast outside his house) and take him out for brunch and he replies to "how would you like your eggs?" with "um, well done, i guess"

on my face when i make a rare foray into the USA and a server asks me how i'd like my burger cooked. (absolutely no choice offered in canada - thankfully) (i'll take a good medium or rare steak any day, but cook the mass-produced ground beef well please).

colonius Dec 9, 2008 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by cstead (Post 10561312)
One of my favorite drinks is the calimocho - equal parts cola and red wine with a few ice cubes tossed in. Most people have never heard of it or have any idea, and when I explain it, they usually cringe.

I believe that people have been shot for lesser sacrileges in France or Italy :rolleyes:

And now I will try to stop cringing....

colonius Dec 9, 2008 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by erasmus99 (Post 10562232)
I am Canadian. When I ask for vinegar for fries in the US, I've gotten blank stares too.

Funny. The first time I ever went to Canada (looooong ago) the server got a blank stare from me, when she asked if I wanted any vinegar for my fries... :D

Mongah Dec 9, 2008 11:16 pm

I am from Buffalo and we always had vinegar on our fries at Ted's.

astanley Dec 10, 2008 1:53 am

Originally Posted by colonius (Post 10885281)
I believe that people have been shot for lesser sacrileges in France or Italy :rolleyes:

And now I will try to stop cringing....

I doubt it. The number of wine based cocktails one can find at a simple bar in Paris, or anywhere in northern Italy, defies the point...

Cheers,

-Andrew
not a fan of wine based cocktails

colonius Dec 10, 2008 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by YXU Dude (Post 10859555)
on my face when i make a rare foray into the USA and a server asks me how i'd like my burger cooked. (absolutely no choice offered in canada - thankfully) (i'll take a good medium or rare steak any day, but cook the mass-produced ground beef well please).

Actually, undercooked hamburger is illegal by health code in most jurisdictions in Canada (not all, mind you). No chance in hell that you will get a "blue burger" on Vancouver Island, for example.