FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Tilapia sucks! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1967593-tilapia-sucks.html)

BamaVol May 1, 2019 8:15 am

Originally Posted by geminidreams (Post 31055971)
Maybe tofu of the lake?

Point taken, although I've seen them in brackish water south of here.

work2fly May 1, 2019 8:39 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 31055463)
Interesting. I've always found the fish in the Bay Area in CA to be very disappointing. Even the supposedly good stores (such as Whole Foods and its competitors) and the roadside fresh fish markets in fishing ports seem to sell fish that has seen better days. It's really not that hard - catch it and get it on sale later the same day or, in extremis, the following day.

I therefore avoid fish in the USA altogether now.

For what it's worth, Princeton Seafood near the docks at Pillar Point in Half Moon Bay is a reliable purveyor of fresh seafood. Occasionally, we'll also walk the docks to see what we can buy off the boats.

enviroian May 1, 2019 8:41 am

I"m surprised restaurants in the US don't source yellow perch or walleye more. It's far more delicious than Tilipia.

work2fly May 1, 2019 8:44 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31055979)
As I mentioned upthread, I think the entire West Coast lacks variety in the seafood area, but the quality is not bad. Boston, on the other hand, is honestly awesome.

I think I agree with this - it seems 1/2 the shelf space is salmon of one kind or another.

That said, in addition to the salmon, you can usually find local halibut, rock fish, petrale sole, albacore and striped bass. Not bad, but nowhere near the variety to be had on the other coast.

MSYtoJFKagain May 1, 2019 8:47 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31054076)
Perhaps I am spoiled, but one of the few benefits of being a Cape Cod native is that we can get amazing fish anytime we want.

My SO is a native of the Cape as well. She's got one of the highest bars for seafood I've ever come across.

I agree that tilapia isn't the best but I think you're also giving short shrift to the west coast. While is may seem like halibut/salmon are the only things on the menu, you need to pay attention to the seasonal fish they have on offer. Rockfish, sardines, squid, mackerel, albacore, ling cod, herring, and seabass are delicious and available in season up and down the coast.

work2fly May 1, 2019 8:48 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 31056183)
I"m surprised restaurants in the US don't source yellow perch or walleye more. It's far more delicious than Tilipia.

Your roots are showing :)

Growing up, we would fish on Lake Erie and you pretty much dropped a double hook thing into the water and would pull up 2 perch at a time - repeat as often as you needed.

moondog May 1, 2019 8:57 am

Originally Posted by work2fly (Post 31056194)
I think I agree with this - it seems 1/2 the shelf space is salmon of one kind or another.

That said, in addition to the salmon, you can usually find local halibut, rock fish, petrale sole, albacore and striped bass. Not bad, but nowhere near the variety to be had on the other coast.

When I lived in Portland, OR 10 years ago, Zupan's had pretty nice fish that wasn't super expensive.

But, when I was a student at Stanford 5 years before, I was pretty much limited to salmon from Safeway.

enviroian May 1, 2019 8:58 am

Originally Posted by work2fly (Post 31056209)
Your roots are showing :)

Growing up, we would fish on Lake Erie and you pretty much dropped a double hook thing into the water and would pull up 2 perch at a time - repeat as often as you needed.

I'm a native of Michigan ^

You could always find a local restaurant with fresh versions of either. YUM.

moondog May 1, 2019 9:09 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 31056238)
I'm a native of Michigan ^

You could always find a local restaurant with fresh versions of either. YUM.

I've never been to Michigan, aside from your main airport, but I've heard the fish is nice. However, I can't believe it can compare with Boston. :D

JBord May 1, 2019 9:10 am

Both long-time residents of a good Wisconsin Friday night fish fry!

Eastbay1K May 1, 2019 9:19 am

It isn't available as a cheap farmed commodity, readily commercially available, with stable pricing.

gfunkdave May 1, 2019 9:23 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31056000)
You bake the salad for 25 minutes too? Doesn't it just become slimy mush?

You really haven't lived until you've started baking your salads! And then you've earned your baked ice cream for dessert.

Eastbay1K May 1, 2019 9:28 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31056230)
When I lived in Portland, OR 10 years ago, Zupan's had pretty nice fish that wasn't super expensive.

But, when I was a student at Stanford 5 years before, I was pretty much limited to salmon from Safeway.

I am fortunate to live close to two very good fish markets. One is the purveyor for the best restaurants in the area. But you pay accordingly. Most fresh local sea product is $$$. And delicious. The other has a larger selection, including imported sashimi grade, high quality farmed, and whatever may be available locally. I nearly cry when I see the poor dead fishes in a supermarket case, likely frozen and defrosted at least a couple of times over. My loaves come from Acme and my fishes come from above. Don't hate. But if Tilapia is what is served in my local hole-in-the-wall's dish, I'll usually eat it.

MSYtoJFKagain May 1, 2019 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 31056364)
I nearly cry when I see the poor dead fishes in a supermarket case, likely frozen and defrosted at least a couple of times over.

My local supermarket in Brooklyn is pretty bad about this. I've asked for whole fish and larger portions ahead of time and they usually can accommodate but always with the proviso "It'll be frozen, that ok?" Absolutely! I'd prefer it that way. Seeing the limp salmon fillets with no color is depressing.

I'm up on the Cape quite a lot and their selection is fantastic but as discussed, very pricey. One of my favorite foods is Nantucket Bay Scallops and you better believe they are never cheap. I couldn't find them for less than $35 a lb this year. I've got a good relationship now with the guys and they give me a break on larger lobsters later in the summer. I'll never understand people's reticence to buy anything larger than a 1.5 lb lobster.

enviroian May 1, 2019 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 31056319)
It isn't available as a cheap farmed commodity, readily commercially available, with stable pricing.

agreed. That being said I wonder why these two species aren't farmed commercially. I would think there would be a market but what do I know.