FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Andrew Zimmern fired for critiquing Chinese food (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1948142-andrew-zimmern-fired-critiquing-chinese-food.html)

Big_Foot Dec 30, 2018 1:30 am

Andrew Zimmern fired for critiquing Chinese food

The country is becoming a mental asylum :(
https://pagesix.com/2018/12/28/tv-ch...ese-food-diss/

"Filming has stopped on both shows midseason, sources tell us, and is not expected to continue further."

CPRich Dec 30, 2018 1:38 am

“The shows, along with other food content on Travel, will no longer air on prime time, but on Saturday mornings in rotation. This decision came before Andrew’s comments were made.”

It is believed Zimmern’s shows on the Cooking Channel and the Food Network will continue as scheduled.

Silver Fox Dec 30, 2018 1:39 am

We are entering the era of where, before you even open your mouth or put pen to paper, that you may as well start everything with "I apolgize if you find this offensive". The SJW are strong and the force is with them. There are pleny of "horses**t" restaurants of all ethnicities that are being called out on yelp, tripadvisor, etc., each and every day and I have no issue whatsoever with him describing it as such if that is his opinion.

travelinmanS Dec 30, 2018 6:21 am

Chinese food in much of the Midwest is horses**t, what is offensive about what this man said? By the way, although Chinese food in the Midwest is generally terrible, it is much better, and cheaper, than Chinese food in most of the EU.

fly2nrt Dec 30, 2018 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 30587179)
We are entering the era of where, before you even open your mouth or put pen to paper, that you may as well start everything with "I apolgize if you find this offensive".

Is that better or worse than opening your mouth about a subject/issue with which you have no idea about other than what you've read on some gossipy "Page Six" column?

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 30587598)
Chinese food in much of the Midwest is horses**t, what is offensive about what this man said?

Because "sh*tty .......ized American Chinese food" is delicious... that's why. It's its own, uniquely American phenomenon.

General Tso's isn't "Chinese" food (whatever that hell that is even supposed to mean) but it is delicious.

Instead, the blowhard comes along on the authenticity train throwing insults at the hundreds of thousands of hard working Chinese family owned restaurants and their patrons for being "uncultured"....

Meanwhile, his own "Chinese" restaurant turns out to be nothing more than en epic flop.

https://www.eater.com/2018/12/7/1813...troversy-visit

Vaucluse Dec 30, 2018 6:57 am

Chinese food in much of the Midwest is horses**t, what is offensive about what this man said? By the way, although Chinese food in the Midwest is generally terrible, it is much better, and cheaper, than Chinese food in most of the EU.

Lol, that’s because that ‘chinese food’ has been adapted to their customer’s palate.

fly2nrt Dec 30, 2018 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Vaucluse (Post 30587648)

Lol, that’s because that chinese food has been adapted to their customer’s palate.

NO WAY! Next thing you're gonna tell me spaghetti and meatballs isn't really Italian?

Silver Fox Dec 30, 2018 7:07 am

Originally Posted by fly2nrt (Post 30587635)
Is that better or worse than opening your mouth about a subject/issue with which you have no idea about other than what you've read on some gossipy "Page Six" column?

Much worse.

SJCFlyerLG Dec 30, 2018 7:16 am

Faux outrage and false thread titles. And how is this remotely political? It's about someone's opinion of Chinese restaurants in the Midwest.

And for what it's worth, "critiquing" is incorrect. One can offer a critique, or one can criticize.

Skyman65 Dec 30, 2018 7:43 am

Well...in my limited experience with eating Chinese food in the Midwest, I have to agree. There was this place in Kansas City...oh my. But yeah, the locals seemed to be enjoying it, so...

Anyway, living in Taiwan, you should see what passes for "Western food" in many places over here. Scary.

I once went into an "international cuisine" restaurant. Their menu had a page labeled "Mexican Food". The first item on the page was "Buffalo wings". Someone needs a geography lesson. :)

And hanging out in the food court at Costco over here can be quite entertaining. It is common to see folks cranking out piles of chopped onions, relish, mustard, ketchup, and sauerkraut onto...a slice of pizza. I'm tempted to let them know that they're doing it wrong, but it's too funny to watch. And then you have the old ladies pulling large plastic bags out of their purses, filling them up with chopped onions, then stuffing them back into their bags to take home. Taiwanese love their free stuff. For this reason, you never see self-serve condiment bars at McDonalds. It would be abused.

Badenoch Dec 30, 2018 8:25 am

In the small city where I grew up I got to know the owners of three local Chinese restaurants of the type Zimmerman insulted. They were new immigrants to Canada, living in an all-white environment that in that era was hardly tolerant or welcoming. They were among the hardest working, most decent people I've met. They made a better life for their children, many of whom went on to higher education, entered professions, while at least one or two stayed to run the restaurant.

So screw Zimmerman for insulting some of the best people I've known. I'd have fired him too.

uastarflyer Dec 30, 2018 9:14 am

A shame it was Bourdain that had to go.

Loren Pechtel Dec 30, 2018 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Skyman65 (Post 30587753)
Well...in my limited experience with eating Chinese food in the Midwest, I have to agree. There was this place in Kansas City...oh my. But yeah, the locals seemed to be enjoying it, so...

Anyway, living in Taiwan, you should see what passes for "Western food" in many places over here. Scary.

Yeah. A very telling incident many years ago. My wife (China-born) was along on a work outing in Los Angeles. Dinner was at a Chinese place. They had the usual dual-language menu, but there was a handwritten page in the front, all Chinese, no English. She was in both heaven and hell looking at that page--it was authentic Chinese food, not Americanized. Stuff she hadn't tasted in many years. Unfortunately, we were heading home in the morning, she was only going to get one meal, what to choose?!?!?! I've never seen her take as long to order as that day.

ysolde Dec 30, 2018 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel (Post 30588671)
Yeah. A very telling incident many years ago. My wife (China-born) was along on a work outing in Los Angeles. Dinner was at a Chinese place. They had the usual dual-language menu, but there was a handwritten page in the front, all Chinese, no English. She was in both heaven and hell looking at that page--it was authentic Chinese food, not Americanized. Stuff she hadn't tasted in many years. Unfortunately, we were heading home in the morning, she was only going to get one meal, what to choose?!?!?! I've never seen her take as long to order as that day.

Years ago, I was working on an out of town project with a team, in a small-ish town with a limited selection of restaurants. We went to lunch one day in a Chinese restaurant with a menu that left something to be desired, but had a short page, all in Chinese, just as you describe. One of my colleagues was first-generation, and I saw him ordering from that menu. I went over to him, and told him, "Shellfish allergy, chicken preferred." And got a really great lunch. I asked him later, and he said it was the kind of food you got at your grandmother's house on a special occasion.

gkbiiii Dec 30, 2018 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by fly2nrt (Post 30587646)
Because "sh*tty .......ized American Chinese food" is delicious... that's why. It's its own, uniquely American phenomenon.

General Tso's isn't "Chinese" food (whatever that hell that is even supposed to mean) but it is delicious.

Instead, the blowhard comes along on the authenticity train throwing insults at the hundreds of thousands of hard working Chinese family owned restaurants and their patrons for being "uncultured"....

Meanwhile, his own "Chinese" restaurant turns out to be nothing more than en epic flop.

I strongly disagree with this; as the dish was invented by a Chinese Mainland Native, who was the personal chef to,
The Father of the Republic of China, Generalissimo Chang Kai Chek.
Chef Peng Chang-kuei, who invented General Tso's Chicken: this was done for a VIP banquet in honor of the visiting Admiral of the US Pacific Fleet.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bb73b6b697.jpg

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/nation-now/2016/12/03/general-tsos-chicken-inventor-dies-98/94879708/

moondog Dec 30, 2018 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by fly2nrt (Post 30587646)

I believe it originated in Taiwan, which China claims as its own province.

gkbiiii Dec 30, 2018 3:55 pm

"General Tso's isn't "Chinese" food": then this statement is false!
The PRC can claim what it wants, but The Republic of China is a Sovereign nation!

milepig Dec 30, 2018 4:18 pm

Does anyone watch the Travel Channel? Whenever I surf past it they’re showing some old show with zero relationship to travel. It should be called the “We need to air something, let’s look in the bottom of the barrel” channel.

You can get good authentic Chinese in the Midwest. Come to Chicago and I’ll give you a tour.

moondog Dec 30, 2018 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by gkbiiii (Post 30589270)
"General Tso's isn't "Chinese" food": then this statement is false!
The PRC can claim what it wants, but The Republic of China is a Sovereign nation!

Even though the is the PR forum, I try my best to stay out discussions about the 两岸问题. Nevertheless, I think everybody agrees that Changsha (where Peng Chang-kuei was born) is part of the PRC.

gkbiiii Dec 30, 2018 5:22 pm

Yes the Executive Chef was born in Mainland China (same Provence with General Tso): but the dish was invented, at
The Presidential Palace, in The Republic of China, Taipei ,Taiwan.

MSPeconomist Dec 30, 2018 5:36 pm

Zimmerm is somewhat of a local celebrity, although he sometimes is sighted in my grocery store. Yet somehow this is the first time I've heard of his new "Chinese Tiki" restaurant or of the controversy and suspension (or whatever you want to call it) of his cable TV show. It's not making the local media for some reason.

Travel is one of the cable channels that I wish would return to their roots: Travel should be about travel, such as the Samantha Brown hotel series, and not ghosts. (Why not try for reruns of the reality series about Southwest Airlines? Or even the worst place to be a pilot miniseries? Or maybe Great Race reality contest previous seasons? There's lots of content available even it they're not creating much of their own.) Animal Planet should focus on animals and not the building of tree houses and fish tanks, or backwoods cop reality shows. History should be about the past rather than hillbillies and moonshine, etc. Just IMO.

Badenoch Dec 30, 2018 5:53 pm

This raises many questions:

Is a dish created by a Chinese chef that is similar to or a variation on dishes commonly served in China considered to be Chinese food if it is created outside of China? Or do the foodie snobs sniff that it is "not really Chinese food."

If a white Canadian moves to China, opens a restaurant offering his personal variations on Canadian recipes will foodie snobs in China sniff that it's "not really Canadian food?"

Is it appropriate for the British to declare chicken tikka masala a British dish just because it was created in Glasgow by a Pakistani chef who used his traditional cooking methods and spicing? Do English gourmands dismiss the dish as "not being authentic Indian/Pakistani food?"

Is the declaration that Chinese food served in middle America and Canada is "not really Chinese food" simply posturing by food pedants and other elitists who want to dismiss cuisine and the people who eat it as below their lofty standards?

pbiflyer Dec 30, 2018 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch (Post 30589570)

Is a dish created by a Chinese chef that is similar to or a variation on dishes commonly served in China considered to be Chinese food if it is created outside of China? Or do the foodie snobs sniff that it is "not really Chinese food."

If a white Canadian moves to China, opens a restaurant offering his personal variations on Canadian recipes will foodie snobs in China sniff that it's "not really Canadian food?"

Is it appropriate for the British to declare chicken tikka masala a British dish just because it was created in Glasgow by a Pakistani chef who used his traditional cooking methods and spicing? Do English gourmands dismiss the dish as "not being authentic Indian/Pakistani food?"

Is the declaration that Chinese food served in middle America and Canada is "not really Chinese food" simply posturing by food pedants and other elitists who want to dismiss cuisine and the people who eat it as below their lofty standards?

I think if you put the word traditional in front of those, it makes it a bit more clear.

gkbiiii Dec 30, 2018 10:22 pm

In reality many foods, such as American Italian are often better than in the home country. They are often dishes invented by immigrants, which have access to much better meat & produce, in in their native lands. My travels abroad aboard, including three MSC vessels (in bout Yacht club & Specialty Dining) has proven this to me, that American Italian is better than much of true Italy.

csufabel Dec 30, 2018 10:46 pm

Didn't that happen with the two Portland white women who basically peeked in the windows of the women of Puerto Nuevo and took the technique back to the US last year (2017)?

weero Dec 30, 2018 11:00 pm

..Chinese food in the Midwest is generally terrible, it is much better, and cheaper, than Chinese food in most of the EU.

Ain't that the truth! When I came to the US from Europe, I did enjoy their brand of Chinese food a lot. It was fresher and offered a much larger variety. But after living in Asia for a decade, I don't like either variety. At least the Chinese food in Switzerland is comically bad, so you can get a laugh out of it.

Skyman65 Dec 31, 2018 1:13 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 30589240)
I believe it originated in Taiwan, which China claims as its own province.

Yes, well Koreans claim that Confucius was Korean. So it must be true. ;)

(Sorry, but since I live on the receiving end of China's bellicose threats--and missiles, it's a sensitive topic for me. Leave Taiwan alone, China. We've got a nice little country here. Keep your greedy mitts off of it.)

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel (Post 30588671)

Heh, I've got a bit of a different take on the "secret menu" at Chinese restaurants. A couple years back, I took my (Taiwanese) in-laws on a road trip tour of the American West. By the time we reached West Yellowstone, MT, my sister-in-law was dying for Chinese food. She'd already had about ten straight days of American restaurant food, and she was fed up (no pun intended). I was surprised to find there was one Chinese restaurant in town, so we went there. When we sat down, the waiter (who heard us speaking Chinese) gave us Chinese-only menus. Out of curiosity, I asked if I could also see the English menu. He emphatically explained that the items on the Chinese menu were more suited to the Chinese palate and strongly encouraged us to order from the Chinese menu (where no prices were listed). Although red flags were waving in my head, my (wealthy) BIL was paying the bill, and I knew there was no way to talk his wife out of having an "authentic" Chinese meal. She grabbed the menu and started ordering dishes. The real scary thing to me was that within 3 minutes after ordering, they were already delivering plates to the table--as if everything was pre-made and just scooped onto serving plates. There was no way it was made-to-order. The food was mediocre at best by Asian standards, and I'm convinced it was the same food they serve from the English menu. But the real shock came with the bill. Everything was at least double the prices from the English menu. I remember the most ridiculous example was a plate of fried rice for $25. They have a real scam going there, knowing that any Chinese guests will be desperate for "Chinese" food, and since they're the only game in town, they will be willing to pay just about anything. Even my SIL admitted it was lousy food. It ended up being the most expensive meal of our trip--by far.

Sheikh Yerbooty Dec 31, 2018 3:12 am

I may be close to the only one here, but Chinese food does not sit well with me. It's just variations of a single theme, which is deep-fried fat. What's more, in my neck of the woods Chinese restaurants are consistently ranked lowest when it comes to hygiene. To anyone who's been to China that's hardly a surprise; they are, for lack of a better word, swine. It stinks, it tastes all the same and it's mainly saturated fats. Regardless of whether it's in China, Europe, the US or the Middle East (I've had the misfortune to be invited to Chinese restaurants in all of those places), it's just foul. Chinese food in China was, however, on it's own distinct level of disgusting - and that's before we even touch on the hygiene.

I fully appreciate the Chinese kitchen is considered one of the 5 great kitchens, and you're welcome to it if it tickles your tastebuds. Personally I prefer any of the other 5 (Italian, French, Mexican and Turkish), thank you very much. And while we're at it, Korean food hardly does anything for me either. Thai, on the other hand, can be very delicious if prepared properly and using quality ingredients. Here's my favourite, which holds a Michelin star: https://www.kiin.dk. If you're ever in CPH, make sure to have reserved a table well in advance.

kale73 Dec 31, 2018 6:47 am

I would answer “Yes”.

Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty (Post 30590657)
Personally I prefer any of the other 5 (Italian, French, Mexican and Turkish), thank you very much.

I prefer Cajun/Creole. I have yet to see a “Turkish” restaurant in the United States but I can tell you the location of several “Brazilian” meat orgy palaces.

SJCFlyerLG Dec 31, 2018 6:52 am

Since the Hong Kong diaspora, I have found the Chinese food quality in Toronto and Vancouver to be very authentic, depending on where you go. I try to find out where the HKG chefs are working. I"d call that Chinese food.

Badenoch Dec 31, 2018 6:58 am

Originally Posted by csufabel (Post 30590201)
Didn't that happen with the two Portland white women who basically peeked in the windows of the women of Puerto Nuevo and took the technique back to the US last year (2017)?

Those women were stupid because they bragged about it. Even Colonel Sanders understood the importance of a "secret recipe." ;)

Vaucluse Dec 31, 2018 7:10 am

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG (Post 30591078)
Since the Hong Kong diaspora, I have found the Chinese food quality in Toronto and Vancouver to be very authentic, depending on where you go. I try to find out where the HKG chefs are working. I"d call that Chinese food.

The best dimsum I had in North America is in Vancouver. I have no problem locating a good Chinese restaurant in most US & Canada major cities.

Maluku_Flyer Dec 31, 2018 7:20 am

Originally Posted by gkbiiii (Post 30590156)
In reality many foods, such as American Italian are often better than in the home country. They are often dishes invented by immigrants, which have access to much better meat & produce, in in their native lands. My travels abroad aboard, including three MSC vessels (in bout Yacht club & Specialty Dining) has proven this to me, that American Italian is better than much of true Italy.

Bwahahahaha. MSC, eh?

SJCFlyerLG Dec 31, 2018 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer (Post 30591159)
Bwahahahaha. MSC, eh?

That's pretty hysterical. American Italian food is often slathered in a sugary tomato sauces that is close to ketchup. Having spent a lot of time in Italy, there is a zero chance that American Italian is better. And cruise ship food is about as bad and bland as it can be,

Badenoch Dec 31, 2018 7:46 am

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG (Post 30591181)
That's pretty hysterical. American Italian food is often slathered in a sugary tomato sauces that is close to ketchup. Having spent a lot of time in Italy, there is a zero chance that American Italian is better. And cruise ship food is about as bad and bland as it can be,

It's a matter of perspective. If ones only exposure to Italian cuisine was Chef Boyardee then the floating equivalent of an Olive Garden on a cruise ship would be a quantum leap forward. LOL.

The neighbourhood I grew up in was about 50 per cent Italian immigrants. It is possible to get quality Italian food in North America. You just aren't likely to find it at a restaurant offering an all-you-can-eat pasta bar or unlimited bread sticks.

weero Dec 31, 2018 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Skyman65 (Post 30587753)
..Anyway, living in Taiwan, you should see what passes for "Western food" in many places over here. Scary..

In S'Pore it is mostly an indicator (or dog whistle to use proper /PR lingo)_ for Halal food in steak or burger form.

Originally Posted by Badenoch (Post 30587851)
..They were among the hardest working, most decent people I've met. They made a better life for their children..

Excellent crime stats too! And once the Chinese overcome their driving habits and traffic rule interpretation they brought along, they make for the perfect immigrants :cool: .

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 30587975)
A shame it was Bourdain that had to go.

AFAIK he volunteered - he wasn't asked or pushed to depart.

Bouncer Dec 31, 2018 8:35 am

Originally Posted by kale73 (Post 30591065)

I would answer “Yes”.

I prefer Cajun/Creole. I have yet to see a “Turkish” restaurant in the United States but I can tell you the location of several “Brazilian” meat orgy palaces.

I was wondering who came up with the "Five Great Kitchens" and how Turkish made the cut, but Greek didn't. Are they insane? I was in Crete the other week and my goodness, some of the best food I've ever had, and I am a fat boy who likes his foods!

Regards,
-Bouncer-

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG (Post 30591181)

Disagree, but it depends on the dish, where made, and by who. I love southern Italian, and I'm convinced the extra nitrogen in the soil from Vesuvius is what gives the tomatoes from that region (Campania) such a unique taste (and high fructose content). It's true that you can eat the lemons off the trees in Naples, and equally true that the tomatoes just taste more sweet, and since tomatoes make up the base of like 70% of the dishes, it changes the texture/taste of all of those dishes. Simply put, Spaghetti Fra Diavolo in southern Italy is probably the best there is, it's this spicy/sweet combo that makes your mouth water anytime you think of it. Add in that the pasta in the small restaurante is made by the Nonna in the kitchen with the hairy arms... Just the best. Having said that, I prefer Italian-American pizza and Italian-American lasagna over the Neopolitan versions of either.

Like most of us, I've eaten on most continents and many places. Many times taken there by locals, and I don't think you can simply make across the board declarations that there is zero chance any Italian-American is ever better than any Italian in Italy. There's some pretty ugh touristy/expensive restaurants in Roma I wouldn't put up against my local Italian place owned by Italian immigrants in my folks' town in Virginia. /shrug

Regards,
-Bouncer-

pinniped Dec 31, 2018 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Vaucluse (Post 30591125)
The best dimsum I had in North America is in Vancouver. I have no problem locating a good Chinese restaurant in most US & Canada major cities.

Same here. Most West Coast cities have reasonably authentic Chinese food.

That said, I don't know why people get so worked up about this. America has long riffed on cuisines from around the world and created their own styles and flavors. Even within the genre of "westernized Chinese food", I know a couple restaurants that do it consistently well and I know a few that are utterly terrible. Same with Mexican, Italian, Thai, Japanese, Indian, French, etc. We have American chefs doing creative things with each of these, and that's awesome. Some try to stay pretty true to the old country; others mashup with other cultures, ingredients, or techniques not really used at home. It's "authentic" to no one beyond that chef, and it's often great food. Typically, no such claim is made as to authenticity with anything else. (Except those silly Olive Garden commercials.)

LapLap Dec 31, 2018 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Bouncer (Post 30591361)
I was wondering who came up with the "Five Great Kitchens" and how Turkish made the cut, but Greek didn't.

Can’t answer that - and the post where it comes from is vile and undependable anyway.
But there is a widely held conviction that there are 3 “Grand Cuisines”.
Admittedly, I came across this in Japan which has a propensity for grouping best of any category into 3, so finding out what the world’s best 3 cuisines are there is hardly a surprise. But the idea is not limited to Japan.
Those “top 3” are French, Chinese and Turkish.

Don’t have cruise ship experience (not since I was 11) but I am a seasoned Economy class flyer. I’ve flown Alitalia, Air France, Air China and Turkish Airlines. Based on this, Turkish cuisine is most certainly the world’s greatest :D

lamphs Dec 31, 2018 10:36 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30589534)

Travel is one of the cable channels that I wish would return to their roots: Travel should be about travel, such as the Samantha Brown hotel series, and not ghosts. (Why not try for reruns of the reality series about Southwest Airlines? Or even the worst place to be a pilot miniseries? Or maybe Great Race reality contest previous seasons? There's lots of content available even it they're not creating much of their own.) Animal Planet should focus on animals and not the building of tree houses and fish tanks, or backwoods cop reality shows. History should be about the past rather than hillbillies and moonshine, etc. Just IMO.

I logged on to make a post to another thread, and noticed this thread. I completely agree with MSPeconomist. I enjoyed the 'old' Travel' channel, not so much anymore. In fact the only TC show that I look for on demand or DVR is Andrew Zimmern's.

I for one, have no issue with Andrew Zimmern's comments/critiques. Food is his area of expertise and I have actually used his show as a reference for at least two trips. I tire of the perception of a comment, made in a clear context, being offensive to some group of people, and then someone has to pay the price. The man doesn't care for 'Chinese' restaurants in the Midwest. So? Guess what, I don't care for many of the mom and pop 'Chinese' restaurants in the suburb county of WDC, where I live. And I don't see a WaPo or Washingtonian restaurants critic being crucified because the critic did not care for, insert ethnicity/region, food at a particular restaurant.

I look back at Adam Rich. He had great shows, but used the word 'thinspiration' regarding his own weight loss. I say good for him, regarding his weight loss. I seriously doubt if I asked any of my family, friends, coworkers, either before Adam's use of the term or today, that any of them would know or care that 'thinspiration' is 'offensive' to a group of people.

And by the way, if I unknowingly make an offensive statement, I won't apologize either; I will state 'I learned something new, and I'll try to be more considerate in the future'. End of discussion!

America - grow up!