FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   "What's in a name? A restaurant's success can hinge on the right words" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1509825-whats-name-restaurants-success-can-hinge-right-words.html)

Polomarc Oct 8, 2013 9:31 am

"What's in a name? A restaurant's success can hinge on the right words"

Interesting article, ok I will start with a boring one:)

Plane Food

VivoPerLei Oct 8, 2013 10:53 am

I think a good name for a 7-11 style convenience store would be "Pass'n gas" but apparently I'm a party of one.

BuildingMyBento Oct 8, 2013 11:57 am

I'm fascinated by Chinese restaurant names. Abundance, auspicious, benefit, lucky, profit, dragon, and wealth all are welcome. No beating around the bush there.

Japan has some real winners too. Take a guess as to what this means... Also, there used to be a place called "Pampkin Cook Katsura" specializing in pumpkin dishes.

There are plenty more, but let's see what else is mentioned first.

gobluetwo Oct 8, 2013 12:11 pm

What the Pho (real place!)

And do you know just how many Pho #1 / No. 1 restaurants there are in the world? Must be hundreds...

lhrsfo Oct 8, 2013 2:21 pm

One of the great Chinese restaurants in China Town used to be Lee Ho Fook. Needless to say, a competitor opened with the same words but the first two transposed (read it.....). Fortunately it did not survive long.

Polomarc Oct 8, 2013 2:52 pm

Some good examples in the Guardian comment field such as:
Jason Donervan
Restaurant
Edinburger
Thai-Tanic (Belfast)

BuildingMyBento Oct 8, 2013 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo (Post 21574390)

And do you know just how many Pho #1 / No. 1 restaurants there are in the world? Must be hundreds...

There's quite a lot of Taj Mahals and Arirangs out there too!

Also, it's been a while since I was last in Siem Reap, but how many Pyongyang restaurants do they have now, three?

uk1 Oct 8, 2013 3:30 pm

We have a local restaurant called Mumbai Thai.

gobluetwo Oct 9, 2013 5:03 pm

The worst is a place called Mt Fuji, with a sign hanging underneath that says "Chinese buffet"... :confused:

Also, you know it's bad news when you try to order agedashi tofu and the waitress says, "oh, you mean age tofu" (like my age is 37) instead of "ah-geh". DOH. :eek:

uszkanni Oct 9, 2013 5:39 pm

Not a restaurant name but a menu item, "Spicy Crab Clauu."

Someone evidently spelled it out, "C-L-A-double u" :)

weather Oct 9, 2013 5:54 pm

That would be hundreds of thousands

pseudoswede Oct 9, 2013 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by lancebanyon (Post 21573960)
I think a good name for a 7-11 style convenience store would be "Pass'n gas" but apparently I'm a party of one.

Kum & Go

tentseller Oct 10, 2013 9:40 am

iPho in Santa Clara

tentseller Oct 10, 2013 9:43 am

Originally Posted by uszkanni (Post 21582542)
Not a restaurant name but a menu item, "Spicy Crab Clauu."

Someone evidently spelled it out, "C-L-A-double u" :)

There is a restuarant in China called "Translate Server Error".

Sine this is FT where it did not happen if there is not photo:
http://revealingerrors.com/translation_systems

BuildingMyBento Oct 10, 2013 10:01 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo (Post 21582370)
The worst is a place called Mt Fuji, with a sign hanging underneath that says "Chinese buffet"... :confused:

Also, you know it's bad news when you try to order agedashi tofu and the waitress says, "oh, you mean age tofu" (like my age is 37) instead of "ah-geh". DOH. :eek:

Are the majority of Japanese restaurants outside of Japan managed/staffed by Japanese people? Highly doubt it.

In other news, there's a restaurant in Manhattan called Jack's Sliders and Sushi (sliders are small hamburgers/sandwiches), which has the same level of appeal to me as a middle seat with Spirit Airlines.