FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Soft Drinks From Around The World (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1249787-soft-drinks-around-world.html)

tlhanger Sep 3, 2011 3:58 pm

Hands down, my favorite

Originally Posted by luxury (Post 17002451)
My sister enjoyed Ting in Antigua -- said it was very refreshing. I couldn't partake as the citrus they use is grapefruit and would interact badly with my medications.....

Has a grapefruit base. I don't drink soft drinks unless it is this one. Even had my Publix in Roswell Ga get it. So I do drink it quite a bit.;)

fredandgingermad Sep 3, 2011 4:26 pm

I'm a big fan of Rivella (Switzerland), i remember in Hong Kong drinking Sprite Ice but i dont believe thats made anymore?
I also found in Germany fizzy apple juice but i can't remember the brand..
Love Mountain Dew (US version), i also prefer Dr Pepper in the US to the UK
Guarana also, although i find it amusing that the stock the Brazilian cafe at home sells is from Portugal, apparently its not quite the same

Canarsie Sep 3, 2011 4:36 pm

When I was at the place in Milwaukee years ago that was the model and inspiration for the drive-in on the television show Happy Days, I sampled this bright green soda that is local to the Milwaukee area, but I forgot what it is called.

http://www.dggpro.com/thesodadepot/i...greenRiver.jpg

Perhaps it was Green River?

If I remember correctly, it was rather sweet...

Robt760 Sep 3, 2011 4:58 pm

I gave advice on where to get interesting beverages, but didn't post those that I like:

Bundaberg Ginger Beer (Austrailia)
L & P (New Zealand)
Red Ribbon Root Beer (USA)
Virgil's Root Beer (So Cal Local)

TravelLawyer Sep 3, 2011 6:43 pm

Favorite soda of all time:

Schweppes Cream Soda

It's like crack in a can. Whenever I think about traveling to Asia, it's the first thing that I think about. Drooling over it now. (Second is Dark Chocolate Maltesers, but that's a different thread altogether.)

gregomck23 Sep 3, 2011 7:36 pm

Big Red from Texas. I kind of like it. Bubble-gummy cream soda. I always find it in San Francisco when I am there every few months at a convenience store on Sutter near Hyde. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Red_(drink)

Babaduck Sep 4, 2011 3:46 pm

My sister enjoyed Ting in Antigua -- said it was very refreshing. I couldn't partake as the citrus they use is grapefruit and would interact badly with my medications.....

I found Ting in our local Tesco on Saturday - it makes an excellent mixer for vodka!!!

Our native Irish soft drinks are Tanora (tangerine flavoured & now being discontinued) and Red Lemonade

ShopAround Sep 5, 2011 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by stut (Post 16994906)
Schweppes Agrum' ("Citrus") is a nice, fairly dry fruit drink I'd like to see migrate over from France.

I love Agrum. Ever since I discovered it in the AF CDG lounges, I've brought home a can or two whenever I'm in France.

element7 Sep 5, 2011 10:48 pm

I love Guarana antarctica. Just had it at brazilian restaurant recently and it was awesome. Now to find where to buy it in my city.

BadgerBoi Sep 5, 2011 11:40 pm

Coke by Lagerfeld

Saw these in a Paris department store. I'm sure it tastes the same as any old coke, but...

http://www.sassisamblog.com/wp-conte..._Coke_2011.jpg

BadgerBoi Sep 5, 2011 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by ShopAround (Post 17058942)
I love Agrum. Ever since I discovered it in the AF CDG lounges, I've brought home a can or two whenever I'm in France.

we get that in the supermarkets in Sydney, have to say I'm not so keen on it.

Babaduck Sep 5, 2011 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi (Post 17061254)
we get that in the supermarkets in Sydney, have to say I'm not so keen on it.

Again, it's an excellent mixer (god, I really do sounds as if I have a problem :D) but I rarely drink soft drinks on their own, with the exception of Coke Zero... it's water the rest of the time. But come nightfall and it's vodka or gin & mixer for me!

Noelene Sep 6, 2011 12:56 am

They stopped selling Oasis in Australia- noncarbonated fruity drinks, very refreshing, sometimes more thirst quenching than bubbles

BadgerBoi Sep 6, 2011 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Babaduck (Post 17061304)
Again, it's an excellent mixer (god, I really do sounds as if I have a problem :D) but I rarely drink soft drinks on their own, with the exception of Coke Zero... it's water the rest of the time. But come nightfall and it's vodka or gin & mixer for me!

I see vodka as more of a breakfast drink so I generally mix it with juice, but I guess I can see your point :D

etali Sep 6, 2011 12:28 pm

I haven't tried any of the unusual flavours people have listed, but my favourite fizzy soft drink is Mezo Mix. I've only seen it on sale in Germany, but it seems really popular over there. It's like Fanta and Cola mixed together.

When I'm at home I don't really drink anything fizzy. I'm not a huge fan of drinks with a lot of sugar in them, and aspartame gives me migraines, so I stick to water, coffee, and the occasional fresh orange.

mkt Sep 6, 2011 8:33 pm

Any Malta... available across parts of the Caribbean and Latin America.

bkgourmet Sep 7, 2011 8:15 pm

i love dr. brown's "CEL-RAY" soda - very hard to find!! tastes like a mix of ginger ale and celery.

ajginyul Sep 7, 2011 8:36 pm

I've seen guarana tossed around on this thread, but want to add that not all guarana drinks are created equal. Having tried a few, Guaraná Antarctica from Brasil is the absolute best! They make it in Portugal too, but it's not quite the same.

http://www.sancarlosproducts.com/ima..._antartica.gif

I'm currently in Chile for an extended period of time and everywhere I go I see "Pap" and "Bilz" soft drinks. I have to admit I have yet to try them, probably because my husband didn't exactly give them glowing recommendations (apparently they are sickly-sweet and don't have a specific flavor)

http://riquisimasempanadas.com/web/i...%20y%20Pap.jpg

Finally, being a native of Michigan, I have to endorse any kind of Faygo soft drink (or as we call it, "pop"), especially their grape pop.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...mMkU3T3TPK8oug

ByrdluvsAWACO Sep 8, 2011 4:14 am

My sister enjoyed Ting in Antigua

I forgot all about Ting. Heading to BevMo tomorrow. Will pick some up when I replenish my ginger beer stash.

CMK10 Sep 8, 2011 11:02 am

Is Lucozade a "Soda"? I love that stuff.

emma69 Sep 8, 2011 12:12 pm

Ohhh lucozade, the old version in the glass bottle normally seen in hospitals - the original energy drink, nevermind that new fangled red bull stuff!

Babaduck Sep 8, 2011 1:46 pm

Lucozade... the worlds best hangover cure... although it was always intended as a drink for invalids when we were kids (you knew you were sick when a bottle of red cellophane wrapped Lucozade showed up):D

fredandgingermad Sep 8, 2011 5:00 pm

I remember being given lucozade after falling off a trampoline while at a sports centre on holiday as a kid :D

youreadyfreddie Sep 8, 2011 5:26 pm

I found Ting when I was in Jamaica and look for it when I'm in the Caribbean. To me, it tastes like Wink (the sassy one, from Canada Dry) that we used to have as a treat when I was a kid, and parents (mine and my friends') seemed to always have it on hand as a mixer.

My dad is from New England, so he grew up drinking Moxie. I can find it sometimes at Bev Mo in San Diego. I've tasted it and can only imagine that people drank it because it was The Depression, everything was expected to be awful, and everything was supposed to taste like dirt.

emma69 Sep 9, 2011 11:38 am

Originally Posted by fredandgingermad (Post 17078203)
I remember being given lucozade after falling off a trampoline while at a sports centre on holiday as a kid :D

A&E? Nah, some lucozade and they'll be right as rain, x-rays are for wusses!

In my case, our school nurse (yup, fully qualified sister no less, not the receptionist who had been on half day first aid course) was addicted to tubi grip and antiseptic - it could cure anything (and yes, she tried to send me back to class with a shattered knee cap after applying antiseptic (I wouldn't let her near me with tubigrip, it would have been agony!) I had to beg the nice secretary to let me call my mother (after hopping up 3 flights of stairs to get to the office) to come and take me to hospital because I was sure I knew something serious was up! )

obscure2k Sep 9, 2011 12:34 pm

I love Ting. It is made in Jamaica. It is definitely a grapefruit drink and very fizzy. I buy it at a boutique grocery in Los Angeles.

emma69 Sep 9, 2011 12:49 pm

How similar is Ting to something like Fresca?

Babaduck Sep 9, 2011 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by emma69 (Post 17082448)
How similar is Ting to something like Fresca?

A hundred million times nicer than Fresca! Can now also swear by Marks & Spencer Sicilian Lemonade as a mixer *hic* :D

braslvr Sep 9, 2011 4:29 pm

It's more similar to Squirt than Fresca.

SQLAX Sep 10, 2011 12:10 am

Thumbs Up only availiable in western India. Now owned by Coke. Also Duke's Lemonade. The best lemon soda drink around. Now owned by Pepsi and only avaliable in Western India

srt8-blue Sep 11, 2011 12:17 am

Chilsung cider in Korea. So clean!

bensyd Sep 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Babaduck (Post 17077117)
Lucozade... the worlds best hangover cure... although it was always intended as a drink for invalids when we were kids (you knew you were sick when a bottle of red cellophane wrapped Lucozade showed up):D

Ahh yes...My Mum learnt the hard way it was probably not a good idea to give a kid with a stomach bug a bright orange soft drink while he's lying on the new white lounge.

youreadyfreddie Sep 12, 2011 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by braslvr (Post 17083477)
It's more similar to Squirt than Fresca.

Absolutely! Maybe just a bit less sweet than Squirt. I'm not saying that Squirt is overly sweet. Squirt is another fave-o-mine.

braslvr Sep 13, 2011 12:34 am

Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie (Post 17099384)
Absolutely! Maybe just a bit less sweet than Squirt. I'm not saying that Squirt is overly sweet. Squirt is another fave-o-mine.

Yep, and you are lucky that you spend time in SAN. I have seen it in many hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurants there, and in Tijuana too.

Scots_Al Sep 14, 2011 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Babaduck (Post 17077117)
Lucozade... the worlds best hangover cure...

Oh no, that's GOT to be Irn Bru (washing down a roll and square sausage, with tattie scone on top)!

exbayern Sep 16, 2011 12:16 pm

I rarely drink sweet drinks and prefer carbonated water.

I did present a colleague with a bottle of Pocari Sweat once as a gift (didn't seem odd to me as I am very familar with the product but it made an impact on him)

I do like Beverly, which the WDW fan crowd seems to enjoy mocking. It is much more to my tastebuds.

I do like Pret a Manger gingerbeer, and elderflower drink, because they are not overly sweet. The sweetest I will go is the various Orangina products but they are variable and have changed since changing ownership.

WantToTravelMore Oct 14, 2011 4:02 am

Just tried watermelon cola and Nestea's Pear & Honey in Taiwan. Can't say I care for either of them. Jarritos Tamarindo is still a favorite of mine.

andreadbc Oct 14, 2011 4:34 am

I miss Peruvian gaseosas :(
I do love the Spanish version of Fanta (it has orange juice!)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...la-inglesa.jpg

Guaraná, Inca Kola and Kola Inglesa

(aren't they colorful?)

sparkchaser Oct 14, 2011 4:53 am

Conspicuously absent from this list are the "orange cola" drinks from Germany:

Mezzo Mix, Schwip Schwap, Spezi, and other brands. It is basically 80% Coke with 20% Fanta/Orange soda. It's pretty good.

Also missing is the Russian Kvass drink and also Tarragon lemonade.

Originally Posted by stut (Post 16980405)
Which leads me on to my country's "other national drink" - Irn Bru. There's nothing quite like it (unless you go to Peru and drink Inca Cola, which is actually quite similar, but much less orange). In its "native" state, it's banned in the US. However, it's incredibly Scottish, and often claimed to outsell all other soft drinks.

I love Irn Bru. When I am in Scotland, I divvy my drinking between tea, beer, Scotch, and Irn Bru.

I have purchased it in the U.S. at the Richmond Highland Games in 2009.

raph Oct 14, 2011 5:01 am

My favourite Soft Drinks are American Standards but not common in Europe:

- Mountain Dew (just "relaunched" in Germany and in UK as "Mountain Dew Energy", very expensive and somehow not as tasty here)

- Arizona Ice Tea (Green Tea+Honey) (available at select Restaurants at ridiculous prices, discovered that the German Drug Store "Rossmann" is now selling them for €1/can and always get strange looks when I carry out 48 cans at a time).

- Dr Pepper

Generally I feel that even Standard Drinks must be mixed differently in different countries. I love Mountain Dew in the US and UAE but not much in Europe.
Also whenever I am in UAE, I much prefer Pepsi over Coke, appears much more thirst quenching, where as it's the other way around in Europe.

At least Red Bull will come from the same factories in Austria, whereever you buy it in the world.

I am a bit of a "Soft drink nut" and used to fill up my luggage coming from the US with cans up to it's weight limit. I even once brought a whole suit case filled with nothing but Mountain Dew, Mountain Dew White Out, etc.

It upsets me that in the States you get like 12 cans for $4? That 12 cans may set you back $16 + $4 in "can deposit" in Germany...