Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What knives to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigBopper
Their US distribution facility is about 40 min north of NYC in Elmsford, NY. Every 3 or 4 months they have a warehouse sale where they sell pretty much everything...returns, open boxes, individual pieces from a set that had one damaged piece, etc. The knives are literally pennies on the dollar. It might be worth a weekend day trip up the Hudson if anyone's looking for a deal on a knife.
That cheap? I can get $200 set for, say, $10-$20?

(And there are pennies literally sitting on dollar bills? Amazing! )
Old Mar 14, 2011, 7:48 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Search for Henckels, I know we have had this discussion once before, if not several times.

All of our knives are Henckels or Wusthof's higher end (they also have some not as good stuff from China).

We are lucky though, their warehouse store is like fifteen minutes away and twice a year they have some incredible sales so we can add to the collection for a fraction of retail cost.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by BigBopper
Sorry if I take this off topic but I thought this might be worthy for the Henkel fans.

Their US distribution facility is about 40 min north of NYC in Elmsford, NY. Every 3 or 4 months they have a warehouse sale where they sell pretty much everything...returns, open boxes, individual pieces from a set that had one damaged piece, etc. The knives are literally pennies on the dollar. It might be worth a weekend day trip up the Hudson if anyone's looking for a deal on a knife.

I'm not sure if they advertise on their website or not. I usually just see the sign when I drive by. If anyone's interested I'll post here the next time I see it.
I'm drooling over the thought of this! Please, if you see the sign that they're having one of their sales, PM me, at the least.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:46 pm
In Memoriam

Check the New England Forum in May or June, I have been posting the sales at their Norwalk Connecticut Warehouse or whatever it is (they just moved there a year and a half ago) when I hear about them.

Their six inch cleaver that lists for about $100, sells usually for $80? Five dollars at the December 09 sale. Guess what all our relatives and neighbors got for Christmas? Not everything is at that kind of discount, but we have never left without a bag full of stuff.

Last year the sales were June 3 to 5 and I believe the second weekend in December. They have a factory store that is open during the week, but not on weekends except for the sale. No clue how the regular store prices are.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli
Check the New England Forum in May or June, I have been posting the sales at their Norwalk Connecticut Warehouse or whatever it is (they just moved there a year and a half ago) when I hear about them.
If only you could also post a note in the DiningBuzz forum (no one visits the NE forum) since it would be helpful to both audiences.

Sadly, cross-posting is not allowed, even when it makes sense.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I find knives to be very personal, so I would see they feel in your hand first. For example, I like a heavier knife, so mine are mostly high-end Wusthofs. I also love my Deglon chef knife and serrated knife. A good friend of mine who is a serious home cook uses Sabatier because they are lighter.

I have too many knives in my kitchen because I'm a knife geek, but as others have said before, a good chef knife, serrated blade, boning knife and paring knife are really all you need. I do love my cleaver though!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 2:08 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
John Lewis own brand for me. There's undoubtedly better out there, but they work a treat and are very well balanced.

I use the chef's knife about 80% of the time, and the bread knife about 15%!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 7:26 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by nerd
If only you could also post a note in the DiningBuzz forum (no one visits the NE forum) since it would be helpful to both audiences.

Sadly, cross-posting is not allowed, even when it makes sense.
Well, it wouldn't be cross posting if it was only here

Pretty much anybody visiting the New England Forum unless they are new to it knows the big sales are June and December. When I get the mailing I'll mention it here.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 7:46 am

Programs: Skyteam
Cutco knife user for 15 years now.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:04 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Whatever. Just keep it sharp.

I have a Le Creuset chef's knife which I use 90% of the time, and the other 10% a teeny little 'Kitchen Devil' knife which was in the drawer at home when I lived at home, so must be 20+ years old... useful for small stuff. They both get sharpened weekly, just using a kitchen devil 'sharpener for idiots'.

Honestly, whatever feels comfortable in your hand, and keep it sharp. so it doesn't sting when you chop the top of your finger off, the first thing you notice is the blood everywhere
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
The best knife is the one that you feel is the most comfortable in your hand and can be sharpened an a regular basis.

I live near the Zwilling facility in Hawthorne, NY and each December they have a factory sale, so I've been able to get some good deals on some of their high-end products. To each his/her own, but they suit me fine and take regular honing and periodic sharpening very well.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:43 am

a Henckels DO?

Since I at least am drooling over the thought of going to a warehouse sale at the Henckels facility, and it seems like there are at least a few of you who live not too far away, what about having a DO when they have one of their sales?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by kipper
Since I at least am drooling over the thought of going to a warehouse sale at the Henckels facility, and it seems like there are at least a few of you who live not too far away, what about having a DO when they have one of their sales?
Sounds like a good plan. The Zwilling warehouse sale in Hawthorne is typically in early Dec.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Hyatt - Platinum
If you have a kitchen store near you that offers classes, I would try that first. I took a knife skills class at a local "Sur la Table" after I bought my knives and learned so much!!

I now have a set of Shun knives that I will never let go. I found the Japanese knives fit my hands better. There is a difference in the angle of the blade on a Japanese knife so if/when you have them sharpened, be sure the person knows the difference. Mine has a much more narrow angle than the German knives and holds it's edge longer.

I would recommend you start with one good Chef's knife to see how you like it before buying a set. I use that knife more than any other. Also take a class if you can, the one I took was invaluable. I also found out I had been holding my knife wrong all these years. It took a while to relearn the new grip, but I have much more control and am dicing onions like a professional chef now!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by dchristiva
Sounds like a good plan. The Zwilling warehouse sale in Hawthorne is typically in early Dec.
If that's the case, it looks like lots of people on my Christmas list may be receiving Zwilling knives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.