Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Size -- well, actually, ratio -- matters.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2010, 9:05 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Three foods where it is important to have the optimal ratios:

1. Butterfinger. The little mini ones (most prevalent at Halloween) are the perfect ratio of chocolate covering to inner candy. The tiny Butterfinger balls have too much chocolate, and a regular size candy bar (or certainly the giant size) has too much inner candy.

2. Onion Rings. Can be rendered noxious by having too much onion.

3. Hotdogs. "Jumbo" hotdogs have too much inner in proportion to surface area.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
First, I will admit I eat and enjoy Butterfingers occasionally but can not figure out why. There is not much chocolate, no nuts, fruit .... or any other decent ingredients. Just a concoction of ingredients and chemicals in edible form. They are good however.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 9:32 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Same reason that meat is often cut on a diagonal instead of straight across -- tastes better with the increase in surface area. There is a lot of science behind food and cooking. Every little kid knows pie are squared
Old Aug 7, 2010, 2:54 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

No, cornbread are square.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
No, cornbread are square.

Cornbread are wedge. That is included in the Bill of Rights.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

I just ate a Butterfinger mini, inspired by this thread.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 8:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This is why I prefer the mini Peanut Butter cups to the normal sized ones. I find they have a perfect peanut butter :: chocolate ratio and taste better frozen.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Can I include grown-up drinks? To me at least, too much vodka in a bloody mary just ruins it. And as much as I like spicy stuff, extra hot sauce does not work for me either. Mr. & Mrs. T Bold and Spicy is just right, but the regular kind will do.

Come to think of it, I've tried other mixes, but none come close, so it's T's or nothing for me.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:13 am

1. Butterfinger. The little mini ones (most prevalent at Halloween) are the perfect ratio of chocolate covering to inner candy. The tiny Butterfinger balls have too much chocolate, and a regular size candy bar (or certainly the giant size) has too much inner candy.

3. Hotdogs. "Jumbo" hotdogs have too much inner in proportion to surface area.
I have a solution for the jumbo hotdogs, which I use all the time. I simply make an incision down the middle, length wise, with a knife, making sure it doesn't actually cut all the way through. Now you've got alot more surface area for your toppings!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
It gets quite noxious going too far the other way too. While not onion rings, I despise the deep fried "blooming onion" type appetizers and those little onion "strings." Those are too much fry batter/breading, too much grease, and barely any onion!

Sometimes I fall into the trap. I go out with my friends, and they want to order these onion appetizers, and I forget how bad they were...until I start eating them. Then I keep eating because our entrees haven't arrived yet.

Last edited by stevechin; Aug 11, 2010 at 11:27 pm Reason: Fixed quote-code

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.