Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the laws & DL policies on bumping?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
What are the laws & DL policies on bumping?

I was just reading a post on an invol bump which involved some confusion over the actual amounts required for compensation. I know the laws changed recently and doubled the cash amounts, but it looks like the airline gate agents are still routinely short-changing customers by not following the law.

And at the same time there is still confusion over voluntary bumps. Has DL updated policy at all to increase the amount they offer for voluntary bumps? If so, are the gate agents following the policy? Again, probably not.

So it is clear that ignorance of the law and of DL policy can be very costly for customers, so what I'm wondering is this:
Is there somewhere where I can print out the current laws and the current DL policies for voluntary and involuntary bumps? This would be handy to have as a quick reference when a bump looks likely, and to present to a gate agent when they try to screw you over.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
Not very specific, but from their website:

Notice of Overbooking of Flights
Airline flights may be overbooked, and there is a slight chance that a seat will not be available on a flight for which a person has a confirmed reservation. If the flight is overbooked, no one will be denied a seat until airline personnel first ask for volunteers willing to give up their reservation in exchange for a payment of the airline's choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, the airline will deny boarding to other persons in accordance with its particular boarding priority.

With few exceptions, persons denied boarding involuntarily are entitled to compensation. The complete rules for the payment of compensation and each airline's boarding priorities are available at all airport ticket counters and boarding locations. Some airlines do not apply these consumer protections to travel from some foreign countries, although other consumer protections may be available. Check with your airline or your travel agent.

http://www.delta.com/legal/index.jsp
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
Here is what the DOT has to say about it.

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/dot3501.htm

Also, this link show's you through 2007, that not very many are invlountary.

http://www.bts.gov/publications/nati...ble_01_58.html
Old Feb 4, 2009, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by srodr
I was just reading a post on an invol bump which involved some confusion over the actual amounts required for compensation. I know the laws changed recently and doubled the cash amounts, but it looks like the airline gate agents are still routinely short-changing customers by not following the law.
As has been brought up in that thread, it's not clear whether or not the initial offer made was for IDB or VDB.

If the initial offer described in the other thread was for VDB, there was nothing sneaky/underahdned/short-changing going on at all. If it was an IDB offer, yes, very bad. Again, it's not clear exactly what the situtation was in the other thread.

I don't believe there are any laws for VDBs. The key is it's voluntary. If DL offers a nickel to someone to take a later flight and they accept voluntarily, that's their issue.

As for IDBs, if you're being IDBd, you can ask any airline for a copy of the applicable rules, and they are required to give them to you. One carrier was recently fined for failing to follow through on this.

Last edited by clarence5ybr; Feb 4, 2009 at 4:28 pm
Old Feb 4, 2009, 3:03 pm

And at the same time there is still confusion over voluntary bumps. Has DL updated policy at all to increase the amount they offer for voluntary bumps? If so, are the gate agents following the policy? Again, probably not.

So it is clear that ignorance of the law and of DL policy can be very costly for customers, so what I'm wondering is this:
Is there somewhere where I can print out the current laws and the current DL policies for voluntary and involuntary bumps? This would be handy to have as a quick reference when a bump looks likely, and to present to a gate agent when they try to screw you over.
How about some specifics please.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
As for IDBs, if you're being IDBd, you can ask any airline for a copy of the applicable rules, and they are required to give them to you. One carrier was recently fined for failing to follow through on this.
Even IDB have a lot of room for interpetation. I checked in one time and they put me on a later flight. Tried to get on my original flight and could not since it was oversold by 8. It was only 45 minutes for the later flight, but since I was not kicked off the plane it was not an IDB. Getting the FAA involved they agreed with Delta, I found that strange but not surprising with how one sided the rules are written.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by amps
Here is what the DOT has to say about it.
http://www.dot.gov/affairs/dot3501.htm
the above is pretty old, but the DOT linked literature from the other thread seems right on point:

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/part%20250.pdf

i'm definitely printing out a copy of this (7pgs) and leaving it in my backpack for all future trips.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 6:16 am

so what I'm wondering is this:
you can print out a copy of the contract of carriage over at delta.com
Old Sep 8, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA
What exactly is the "airline's particular boarding priority"?

To be more specific, where does a ST Elite Plus stand with no seat assignment? The COC mentions Skymiles members with an elite EP status designation, but does this mean other SkyTeam elites are lumped into the general populace?

And yes, I searched high and low for this, using the FAQs, FT search, and Google
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PSU Mudder
What exactly is the "airline's particular boarding priority"?

To be more specific, where does a ST Elite Plus stand with no seat assignment? The COC mentions Skymiles members with an elite EP status designation, but does this mean other SkyTeam elites are lumped into the general populace?

And yes, I searched high and low for this, using the FAQs, FT search, and Google
All Sky team elite members are suppose to be treated as elite. Delta often has people with no seat assignment, it is not suppose to matter, but I have a hard time believing that.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by troyintn
Even IDB have a lot of room for interpetation. I checked in one time and they put me on a later flight. Tried to get on my original flight and could not since it was oversold by 8. It was only 45 minutes for the later flight, but since I was not kicked off the plane it was not an IDB. Getting the FAA involved they agreed with Delta, I found that strange but not surprising with how one sided the rules are written.
No compensation is usually due if they get you where you're supposed to be within 2 hours of your originally scheduled time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.