Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award travel blackout dates

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2010, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Award travel blackout dates

It is often asked on FT, what are the blackout dates for award travel booked using SkyMiles. Delta, of course, does disclose it anywhere obvious online (we all know that Delta believes that honesty and transparency is it's arch nemesis).

However, it is disclosed in one place - and one place only (I believe) - that a customer can see: in the BLACKOUT DATES section of the award travel rules (that one sees just before completing a ticket purchase online).

For everyone's reference (as this question is asked often), it reads:

GENERAL RULES TEXT IF THE FARE COMPONENT IS ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY KE FLIGHT OR IF THE FARE COMPONENT IS ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY KE FLIGHT IN COMBINATION WITH ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY 9W FLIGHT ANY AF FLIGHT ANY AM FLIGHT ANY AS FLIGHT ANY AV FLIGHT ANY AZ FLIGHT ANY CI FLIGHT ANY CZ FLIGHT ANY DL FLIGHT ANY HA FLIGHT ANY IT FLIGHT ANY KE FLIGHT ANY KL FLIGHT ANY KQ FLIGHT ANY MH FLIGHT ANY MU FLIGHT ANY OK FLIGHT ANY SU FLIGHT ANY TN FLIGHT ANY UX FLIGHT ANY VA FLIGHT ANY RO FLIGHT ANY VN FLIGHT TRAVEL IS NOT PERMITTED 11DEC 10 THROUGH 31DEC 10 OR 01JAN 11 THROUGH 09JAN 11 OR 01FEB 11 THROUGH 07FEB 11 OR 26FEB 11 THROUGH 01MAR 11 OR 05MAY 11 THROUGH 10MAY 11 OR 20MAY 11 THROUGH 03JUL 11 OR 16JUL 11 THROUGH 28AUG 11 OR 10SEP 11 THROUGH 14SEP 11 OR 01OCT 11 THROUGH 03OCT 11 OR 09DEC 11 THROUGH 31DEC 11.

IF THE FARE COMPONENT IS ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY CI FLIGHT OR IF THE FARE COMPONENT IS ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY CI FLIGHT IN COMBINATION WITH ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY 9W FLIGHT ANY AF FLIGHT ANY AM FLIGHT ANY AS FLIGHT ANY AV FLIGHT ANY AZ FLIGHT ANY CI FLIGHT ANY CZ FLIGHT ANY DL FLIGHT ANY HA FLIGHT ANY IT FLIGHT ANY KE FLIGHT ANY KL FLIGHT ANY KQ FLIGHT ANY MH FLIGHT ANY MU FLIGHT ANY OK FLIGHT ANY SU FLIGHT ANY TN FLIGHT ANY UX FLIGHT ANY VA FLIGHT ANY RO FLIGHT ANY VN FLIGHT TRAVEL IS NOT PERMITTED 10DEC 10 THROUGH 31DEC 10 OR 01JAN 11 THROUGH 04JAN 11 OR 27JAN 11 THROUGH 06FEB 11 OR 01JUN 11 THROUGH 31AUG 11 OR 10DEC 11 THROUGH 31DEC 11 OR 01JAN 12 THROUGH 04JAN 12.

IF THE FARE COMPONENT IS ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY MU FLIGHT OR IF THE FARE COMPONENT IS ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY MU FLIGHT IN COMBINATION WITH ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY 9W FLIGHT ANY AF FLIGHT ANY AM FLIGHT ANY AS FLIGHT ANY AV FLIGHT ANY AZ FLIGHT ANY CI FLIGHT ANY CZ FLIGHT ANY DL FLIGHT ANY HA FLIGHT ANY IT FLIGHT ANY KE FLIGHT ANY KL FLIGHT ANY KQ FLIGHT ANY MH FLIGHT ANY MU FLIGHT ANY OK FLIGHT ANY SU FLIGHT ANY TN FLIGHT ANY UX FLIGHT ANY VA FLIGHT ANY RO FLIGHT ANY VN FLIGHT TRAVEL IS NOT PERMITTED 04OCT 10 THROUGH 15OCT 10 OR ON 20NOV 10 OR ON 06DEC 10 OR 10DEC 10 THROUGH 24DEC 10 OR 01JAN 11 THROUGH 02JAN 11 OR ON 25JAN 11 OR 01FEB 11 THROUGH 04FEB 11 OR 06FEB 11 THROUGH 07FEB 11 OR ON 10FEB 11 OR ON 16FEB 11 OR ON 29APR 11 OR ON 03MAY 11 OR 10SEP 11 THROUGH 11SEP 11 OR ON 13SEP 11 OR ON 15SEP 11 OR ON 26SEP 11 OR 29SEP 11 THROUGH 04OCT 11 OR 06OCT 11 THROUGH 08OCT 11.

Note: reformatted and bolded by me for clarity.

Question for someone wiser than me: is this all? What about Avianca (that I had agents told me also has blackout dates)? How come those are not listed here?

Last edited by RealHJ; Nov 6, 2010 at 1:45 am
Old Nov 6, 2010, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
RealHJ, thanks a ton for posting these. DL blackout rules have ALWAYS been a mystery (as seen in many many partner threads) and even more so to agents.

I already knew KE had the strictest, and MU also had some, but it's good to get the full info. However, is it possible this info is still not accurate (not that you got it wrong, but the data itself is wrong). In the sense that some of these blackouts only apply to certain flights (i.e. originating in the US). I know MU has some funky rules on their award blackouts.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mnredfox
RealHJ, thanks a ton for posting these. DL blackout rules have ALWAYS been a mystery (as seen in many many partner threads) and even more so to agents.

I already knew KE had the strictest, and MU also had some, but it's good to get the full info. However, is it possible this info is still not accurate (not that you got it wrong, but the data itself is wrong). In the sense that some of these blackouts only apply to certain flights (i.e. originating in the US). I know MU has some funky rules on their award blackouts.
KE higher mileage (not blackout, there is no blackout with KE) dates are origin and destination specific. See:
http://www.koreanair.com/local/kr/gd...sp_rm_ka03.jsp
(scroll down to the "Notes" section)

However, Delta does not honour the specific direction and origin/destination of the blackout date. It simply imposes system-wide blackout dates on all KE flights whenever KE has any of the higher mileage dates, even though KE itself may have its higher mileage (not blackout, just higher mileage) in place for Korea domestic flights only at the time, for example.

Case in point, I tried to book an __ (EU, I think I tried FRA, but as that was N/A was going to go with PRG or CDG instead) via ICN to HNL flight on KE for June next year. That does not fall in higher mileage of Europe to North America (that starts July 16) with Korean Air. However, during that very same time, there is a higher mileage time for North America to Korea. Delta just applies that system wide to all KE flights. I had it confirmed, on three separate phone calls, by no less than five agents. That Delta applies a total blackout to all KE flights regardless of what origin/destination KE has the higher mileage for; even when it's just domestic Korea higher mileage, Delta will not let you book any (international) KE flight.

I think that so is true with all carriers, not just KE (i.e. also MU, CI, etc.). Delta always takes just the carrier "blackout" dates, but ignores the actual specifics (the specific flights they apply to) and just applies it system wide to all flights. (DL may blame it on its severely limited 1960's IT, but really of course it's an intentional move to limit award travel booking possibilities for its customers.)
Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Working on a potential redemption to Oz, possibly involving KE, so I thought I'd double check the blackout dates. Saw that the 2012 dates are now in the fare rules, so I figured I'd update the thread. Note that DL does not appear to be blacking out MU redemptions in 2012 at the moment. Of course, I couldn't find any availability on MU anyway. (CZ, on the other hand, looks like it might have a ton of availability and no blackout dates.)

IF THE FARE COMPONENT IS ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY KE FLIGHT OR IF THE FARE COMPONENT IS ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY KE FLIGHT IN COMBINATION WITH ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY 9W FLIGHT ANY AF FLIGHT ANY AM FLIGHT ANY AS FLIGHT ANY AV FLIGHT ANY AZ FLIGHT ANY CI FLIGHT ANY CZ FLIGHT ANY DL FLIGHT ANY HA FLIGHT ANY IT FLIGHT ANY KE FLIGHT ANY KL FLIGHT ANY KQ FLIGHT ANY MH FLIGHT ANY MU FLIGHT ANY OK FLIGHT ANY SU FLIGHT ANY TN FLIGHT ANY UX FLIGHT ANY VA FLIGHT ANY RO FLIGHT ANY VN FLIGHT ANY G3 FLIGHT TRAVEL IS NOT PERMITTED 05MAY 11 THROUGH 10MAY 11 OR 20MAY 11 THROUGH 03JUL 11 OR 16JUL 11 THROUGH 28AUG 11 OR 10SEP 11 THROUGH 14SEP 11 OR 01OCT 11 THROUGH 03OCT 11 OR 09DEC 11 THROUGH 31DEC 11 OR 01JAN 12 THROUGH 08JAN 12 OR 20JAN 12 THROUGH 25JAN 12 OR 01MAR 12 THROUGH 04MAR 12 OR 04MAY 12 THROUGH 06MAY 12 OR 18MAY 12 THROUGH 01JUL 12 OR 14JUL 12 THROUGH 26AUG 12 OR 28SEP 12 THROUGH 03OCT 12 OR 07DEC 12 THROUGH 31DEC 12.

IF THE FARE COMPONENT IS ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY CI FLIGHT OR IF THE FARE COMPONENT IS ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY CI FLIGHT IN COMBINATION WITH ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY 9W FLIGHT ANY AF FLIGHT ANY AM FLIGHT ANY AS FLIGHT ANY AV FLIGHT ANY AZ FLIGHT ANY CI FLIGHT ANY CZ FLIGHT ANY DL FLIGHT ANY HA FLIGHT ANY IT FLIGHT ANY KE FLIGHT ANY KL FLIGHT ANY KQ FLIGHT ANY MH FLIGHT ANY MU FLIGHT ANY OK FLIGHT ANY SU FLIGHT ANY TN FLIGHT ANY UX FLIGHT ANY VA FLIGHT ANY RO FLIGHT ANY VN FLIGHT ANY G3 FLIGHT TRAVEL IS NOT PERMITTED 01JUN 11 THROUGH 31AUG 11 OR 10DEC 11 THROUGH 31DEC 11 OR 01JAN 12 THROUGH 04JAN 12 OR 16JAN 12 THROUGH 26JAN 12 OR 01JUN 12 THROUGH 31AUG 12 OR 10DEC 12 THROUGH 31DEC 12 OR 01JAN 13 THROUGH 04JAN 13.

IF THE FARE COMPONENT IS ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY MU FLIGHT OR IF THE FARE COMPONENT IS ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY MU FLIGHT IN COMBINATION WITH ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY 9W FLIGHT ANY AF FLIGHT ANY AM FLIGHT ANY AS FLIGHT ANY AV FLIGHT ANY AZ FLIGHT ANY CI FLIGHT ANY CZ FLIGHT ANY DL FLIGHT ANY HA FLIGHT ANY IT FLIGHT ANY KE FLIGHT ANY KL FLIGHT ANY KQ FLIGHT ANY MH FLIGHT ANY MU FLIGHT ANY OK FLIGHT ANY SU FLIGHT ANY TN FLIGHT ANY UX FLIGHT ANY VA FLIGHT ANY RO FLIGHT ANY VN FLIGHT ANY G3 FLIGHT TRAVEL IS NOT PERMITTED ON 29APR 11 OR ON 03MAY 11 OR 10SEP 11 THROUGH 11SEP 11 OR ON 13SEP 11 OR ON 15SEP 11 OR ON 26SEP 11 OR 29SEP 11 THROUGH 04OCT 11 OR 06OCT 11 THROUGH 08OCT 11.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.