Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Rolling One-Week Schedule Changes to Eliminate NW Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

NWA bookers beware, the end is nigh:

Delta to phase out flights under the NWA rubric
"There will be no big bang," [Therese] Wise said. In January and February, the airline will begin rolling out schedule changes, starting with flights in the fall, a slow time for the airlines.

Passengers already booked on Northwest flights next fall will find those flights automatically converted to Delta flights, with passengers keeping the same seats and meals. That rolling changeover of flights will move continually another week into the future "to minimize confusion for customers," Wise said. "Over time, there will be no more Northwest flights to sell."
Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:30 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I loved this quote, which I probably should also post on the other thread you started, made by Ed Bastion:
Delta is projecting a $1.1 billion net loss for 2009, but executives expect a stronger 2010. If a recovery in airline revenue doesn't occur next year, Delta President Ed Bastian cautioned further cuts could be made.
So "stronger 2010" could mean losing only $500 million ?

And obviously his quote shows he really knows nothing about accounting or running an airline. Increasing revenue should not be the goal, increasing profit should be.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 9:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fti
And obviously his quote shows he really knows nothing about accounting or running an airline. Increasing revenue should not be the goal, increasing profit should be.
Since a large portion of the airlines' costs are fixed, there are only so many additional reductions that can be made. If you're going to increase profits, the only other portion of the equation that you can work on is revenue.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:07 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxf24
Since a large portion of the airlines' costs are fixed, there are only so many additional reductions that can be made. If you're going to increase profits, the only other portion of the equation that you can work on is revenue.
I guess you failed to read his statement before you posted???

Originally Posted by fti
Delta is projecting a $1.1 billion net loss for 2009, but executives expect a stronger 2010. If a recovery in airline revenue doesn't occur next year, Delta President Ed Bastian cautioned further cuts could be made.
At least Bastion and I don't think the "only other portion of the equation that you can work in is revenue."
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fti
I guess you failed to read his statement before you posted???

At least Bastion and I don't think the "only other portion of the equation that you can work in is revenue."
I did. However, your statement that, "increasing revenue should not be the goal, increasing profit should be" was what I was responding to.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:23 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxf24
I did. However, your statement that, "increasing revenue should not be the goal, increasing profit should be" was what I was responding to.
I stand by my statement. Increasing revenue is a means to an end. Increasing profit is the goal. Increasing revenue is not the only way to do that, per Bastion and me. At least I agree with him on one point!
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:56 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Has a record just been set for going off topic in the shortest time?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:00 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
No. Seen in post#2 several times...

Back OT, are they eliminating flights or simply re-assigning a DL flight# and operating it as a DL flight? This has to happen at some point.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:13 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
All flights from now on should be booked as DL 006 tickets, as it will become more complicated to exchange NW 012 tickets for DL 006 tickets. Same for flights operated by KL.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Not really -- the article I linked in the base post did not stick to its own headlined subject & diverted mid-article to discussions of losses & cutbacks.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Did you read the article in full? Either way, it won't change the following: cutting costs in DL's case is most likely going to include more cuts in frequency and/or equipment, combining together for more schedule changes for more DL customers.

Nothing off-topic about fti's post.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
>>>>Passengers already booked on Northwest flights next fall will find those flights automatically converted to Delta flights, with passengers keeping the same seats and meals.

For flights in Fall there won't already be seat assignments - - though those seat assignments on the new DL metal would suddenly be available for booking when the conversion happens, wouldn't they? (Curious particularly since I already have three flights booked in Oct 2010).
Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:19 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JerryFF
All flights from now on should be booked as DL 006 tickets, as it will become more complicated to exchange NW 012 tickets for DL 006 tickets.
Can you tell us what you base that comment on? I needed to have an 012 ticket exchanged for an 006 ticket at the ATL airport a few months ago. Not sure why they had to do that, but I couldn't check in online or at the kiosk. It took all of 2-3 minutes for the agent at the counter to do the "exchange" and issue me a new ticket number and new boarding pass. Very easy actually. I assume it will only get easier as the systems migrate more fully to one system.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
I was under the impression it is actually a multi step process. It would be helpful if someone with more info could tell us what to specifically expect during the conversion process.

1) Starting Jan. 1, all mainline flights will be "Operated by Delta Air Lines" Flights with on legacy NW metal, will now be Delta. All flights booked with NW code will now be listed as "Operated by Delta Air Lines" on the reservations, tickets, etc. (Regional flights will continue to be operated by the respective carrier)

2) Starting the end of Jan. the NW code will begin to be phased out. This will include flipping the NW code to the DL code on flights, working from the future to current. Existing reservations will be updated with the new airline code. (Most likely will go from NW 2311 to DL 2311) Like today, DL flights can be booked on 006 or 012

3) At some point, 012 reservations will be converted to 006 reservations.

4) At some point, nwa.com will eventually be taken down and redirect to delta.com
Old Dec 16, 2009, 9:11 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DTWflyer
3) At some point, 012 reservations will be converted to 006 reservations.
I don't see any reason for this unless there is a rebooking of flights that requires the ticket to be reissued. As you stated, people already can use 012 tickets and fly 006 or vice versa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.