FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   PMU redemption when trip originates outside US (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/997249-pmu-redemption-when-trip-originates-outside-us.html)

bludgeon29 Sep 21, 2009 11:20 am

PMU redemption when trip originates outside US

I am flying HEL-AMS-EWR-AMS-HEL and I have the AMS-EWR portions already upgraded using PMUs - gave the agent my PMU nos. over the phone. I have never had any issues turning in my PMUs at US airports when my trip actually originated here; but this time my trip originates in Helsinki - any people have any experiences with such a scenario? Would it be safe to turn in my PMUs at my home airport (PHL)?

PMMMDL Sep 21, 2009 12:28 pm

If you already gave the agent the PMU numbers and the ticket shows being upgraded on Delta.com, then you might not need to ever turn in the paper PMUs. I have done this 2 times this year and not had the PMUs collected.

Make sure you have the paper PMUs with you while travelling just in case they ask, but otherwise, don't sweat it.

CurlyKrakow Sep 21, 2009 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by PMMMDL (Post 12414176)
If you already gave the agent the PMU numbers and the ticket shows being upgraded on Delta.com, then you might not need to ever turn in the paper PMUs. I have done this 2 times this year and not had the PMUs collected.

Make sure you have the paper PMUs with you while travelling just in case they ask, but otherwise, don't sweat it.

I concur, having had both experiences -- some are very aware of collecting them ("I've been waiting for you to check in so we could collect this!" in KWI) and others are not. As long as the upgrade shows online and you have the paper on-hand if they do ask for it, you'll be fine.

bludgeon29 Sep 22, 2009 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by CurlyKrakow (Post 12414340)
I concur, having had both experiences -- some are very aware of collecting them ("I've been waiting for you to check in so we could collect this!" in KWI) and others are not. As long as the upgrade shows online and you have the paper on-hand if they do ask for it, you'll be fine.

thanks for the replies guys...

odysseus9001 Sep 22, 2009 10:26 pm

follow-up question

What if you were proactive and stopped by the airport to hand in the PMU paper to a check-in agent at a U.S. airport several months before the flight originating outside the US? I won't have the paper with me when I check-in because I already turned it in previously.

I won't be asked for the PMU cert again, correct?

Thanks for the hand-holding! :/

regards,

John

SusanDK Sep 23, 2009 2:24 am

Originally Posted by odysseus9001 (Post 12422951)
What if you were proactive and stopped by the airport to hand in the PMU paper to a check-in agent at a U.S. airport several months before the flight originating outside the US? I won't have the paper with me when I check-in because I already turned it in previously.

I won't be asked for the PMU cert again, correct?

Thanks for the hand-holding! :/

regards,

John

If you turned in a PMU in advance, you will want to ensure that they reissued your e-ticket so that your ticket reflects Z class (not just your itinerary). As long as your e-ticket is properly issued, you shouldn't have a problem. I usually retain a photocopy of my PMU if I've turned it in earlier, just in case (but haven't had a problem).

Susan

StewieD Sep 23, 2009 10:50 am

I flew AMS-EWR rt last month with PMUs, I needed expertflyer to get upgraded, and had to call 7+ times to get it done. FINALLY they upgraded me with the PMUs in advance and on the airport everything went as smooth as it could be (checkin using the machines in AMS and using NWA first class counter). I had the physical PMUs with me but didnt have to show them once.

N515CR Sep 23, 2009 10:58 am

Originally Posted by SusanDK (Post 12423480)
If you turned in a PMU in advance, you will want to ensure that they reissued your e-ticket so that your ticket reflects Z class (not just your itinerary). As long as your e-ticket is properly issued, you shouldn't have a problem. I usually retain a photocopy of my PMU if I've turned it in earlier, just in case (but haven't had a problem).

Susan

+1. ALWAYS make a photocopy of the PMU even if you already turned in the original to an agent.

WBurcham Sep 23, 2009 11:08 am

Some foreign outstations (ok most) don't collect the PMU's.