FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   unsure why no meal on this flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/846791-unsure-why-no-meal-flight.html)

Watchful Jul 20, 2008 5:33 am

unsure why no meal on this flight

I know this seems to be a repetitive question - but sometimes the meal parameters as listed on delta.com do not seem to match up with the individual flights...Because my Gold Elite is with Northwest, I ride in coach in DL anyway, so generally it is not an issue.

But next month I am flying an award ticket with Mrs. Watchful on DL and we are returning in first class. The SLC-IAH segment is #4006, a CRJ with a first class cabin. It is 1193 miles, leaving SLC at 10:57 am and arriving IAH at 3:16 p.m.

The chart would seem to indicate a meal based on length of the flight (as would the times of the flight for goodness sake...). But clicking on flight details shows:

First / Business Class Meal: None

What am I missing here? Is there something "less" than a meal but "more" than a mini-snack? It just seems quite odd to be connecting on to a 3+ hour flight in which there is nothing in first class. :confused::confused:

stevekstevek Jul 20, 2008 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Watchful (Post 10062778)
I know this seems to be a repetitive question - but sometimes the meal parameters as listed on delta.com do not seem to match up with the individual flights...Because my Gold Elite is with Northwest, I ride in coach in DL anyway, so generally it is not an issue.

But next month I am flying an award ticket with Mrs. Watchful on DL and we are returning in first class. The SLC-IAH segment is #4006, a CRJ with a first class cabin. It is 1193 miles, leaving SLC at 10:57 am and arriving IAH at 3:16 p.m.

The chart would seem to indicate a meal based on length of the flight (as would the times of the flight for goodness sake...). But clicking on flight details shows:

What am I missing here? Is there something "less" than a meal but "more" than a mini-snack? It just seems quite odd to be connecting on to a 3+ hour flight in which there is nothing in first class. :confused::confused:

I don't think there's meals on CRJs. I was in F JFK<->AUS, and just got snack basket. I think the rules apply to flights "operated by Delta", and the CRJs are operated by others as codeshares. I guess they also don't have the facilities for meals.

Boston_Bulldog Jul 20, 2008 7:57 am

That's life in the brave new world of flying

Originally Posted by Watchful (Post 10062778)

Welcome to the new world of flying. since the fuel crisis started most airlines have eliminated the majority of food service. Generally, nothing is served on codeshare CRJs. A 1200 mile trip is really NOTHING..now if it was a Transcon, or TATL, might be different.

Doesn't preclude you from purchasing something airside and taking it on board with you, but I won't bring anything WITH me through security only because the TSA clowns would probably take it for themsdelves. :mad:

AndyTLe Jul 20, 2008 8:03 am

I don't know why, but this flight seems long to me. 3 hours 15+ minutes for less than 1100 miles.

Watchful Jul 20, 2008 1:47 pm

Thanks guys...that is all I could figure was that it was related to being a RJ...the RJs on Northwest with a first class cabin do serve meals (IIRC) - I wonder what the policy will be on the new DL-NW! :rolleyes:

Pharaoh Jul 20, 2008 2:57 pm

At one point not too long ago a 1500 (or was it 1550?) mile minimum flight was required for meal sevice (except for a few shorter ones "for competitive purposes").

photojojo Jul 20, 2008 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Pharaoh (Post 10064445)
At one point not too long ago a 1500 (or was it 1550?) mile minimum flight was required for meal sevice (except for a few shorter ones "for competitive purposes").

It's 1550. Here is a thread I started last year after just joining DL. Fifteen hundred and fifty miles was the break point then (April 2007).

indufan Jul 20, 2008 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by stevekstevek (Post 10062942)
I think the rules apply to flights "operated by Delta", and the CRJs are operated by others as codeshares. I guess they also don't have the facilities for meals.

Delta Connection isn't really a codeshare but your point is right.

Originally Posted by Boston_Bulldog (Post 10063015)
Welcome to the new world of flying. since the fuel crisis started most airlines have eliminated the majority of food service.

What is your definition of the beginning of the "fuel crisis"? Delta has dramatically added food service on mainline flights in the last 6 months or so.

buckeyefan Jul 21, 2008 7:41 pm

I've flown the SkyWest Connection CRJ 900 flight from CMH to SLC multiple times and the Snack Basket is it. This is probably as close to the cut-off as they come with a flight time of 4.04 hours and mileage of 1529 miles. I generally bring something of my own.