unsure why no meal on this flight

 
Old Jul 20, 08, 6:33 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Roanoke, VA
Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,415
unsure why no meal on this flight

I know this seems to be a repetitive question - but sometimes the meal parameters as listed on delta.com do not seem to match up with the individual flights...Because my Gold Elite is with Northwest, I ride in coach in DL anyway, so generally it is not an issue.

But next month I am flying an award ticket with Mrs. Watchful on DL and we are returning in first class. The SLC-IAH segment is #4006, a CRJ with a first class cabin. It is 1193 miles, leaving SLC at 10:57 am and arriving IAH at 3:16 p.m.

The chart would seem to indicate a meal based on length of the flight (as would the times of the flight for goodness sake...). But clicking on flight details shows:

First / Business Class Meal: None

What am I missing here? Is there something "less" than a meal but "more" than a mini-snack? It just seems quite odd to be connecting on to a 3+ hour flight in which there is nothing in first class.
Watchful is offline  
Old Jul 20, 08, 8:24 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Posts: 696
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
I know this seems to be a repetitive question - but sometimes the meal parameters as listed on delta.com do not seem to match up with the individual flights...Because my Gold Elite is with Northwest, I ride in coach in DL anyway, so generally it is not an issue.

But next month I am flying an award ticket with Mrs. Watchful on DL and we are returning in first class. The SLC-IAH segment is #4006, a CRJ with a first class cabin. It is 1193 miles, leaving SLC at 10:57 am and arriving IAH at 3:16 p.m.

The chart would seem to indicate a meal based on length of the flight (as would the times of the flight for goodness sake...). But clicking on flight details shows:

First / Business Class Meal: None

What am I missing here? Is there something "less" than a meal but "more" than a mini-snack? It just seems quite odd to be connecting on to a 3+ hour flight in which there is nothing in first class.
I don't think there's meals on CRJs. I was in F JFK<->AUS, and just got snack basket. I think the rules apply to flights "operated by Delta", and the CRJs are operated by others as codeshares. I guess they also don't have the facilities for meals.
stevekstevek is offline  
Old Jul 20, 08, 8:57 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,298
Unhappy That's life in the brave new world of flying

Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
I know this seems to be a repetitive question - but sometimes the meal parameters as listed on delta.com do not seem to match up with the individual flights...Because my Gold Elite is with Northwest, I ride in coach in DL anyway, so generally it is not an issue.

But next month I am flying an award ticket with Mrs. Watchful on DL and we are returning in first class. The SLC-IAH segment is #4006, a CRJ with a first class cabin. It is 1193 miles, leaving SLC at 10:57 am and arriving IAH at 3:16 p.m.

The chart would seem to indicate a meal based on length of the flight (as would the times of the flight for goodness sake...). But clicking on flight details shows:

First / Business Class Meal: None

What am I missing here? Is there something "less" than a meal but "more" than a mini-snack? It just seems quite odd to be connecting on to a 3+ hour flight in which there is nothing in first class.

Welcome to the new world of flying. since the fuel crisis started most airlines have eliminated the majority of food service. Generally, nothing is served on codeshare CRJs. A 1200 mile trip is really NOTHING..now if it was a Transcon, or TATL, might be different.

Doesn't preclude you from purchasing something airside and taking it on board with you, but I won't bring anything WITH me through security only because the TSA clowns would probably take it for themsdelves.
Boston_Bulldog is offline  
Old Jul 20, 08, 9:03 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Posts: 10,839
I don't know why, but this flight seems long to me. 3 hours 15+ minutes for less than 1100 miles.
AndyTLe is offline  
Old Jul 20, 08, 2:47 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Roanoke, VA
Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,415
Thanks guys...that is all I could figure was that it was related to being a RJ...the RJs on Northwest with a first class cabin do serve meals (IIRC) - I wonder what the policy will be on the new DL-NW!
Watchful is offline  
Old Jul 20, 08, 3:57 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Kingdom of the Sun
Programs: DL GM/MM
Posts: 3,707
At one point not too long ago a 1500 (or was it 1550?) mile minimum flight was required for meal sevice (except for a few shorter ones "for competitive purposes").
Pharaoh is offline  
Old Jul 20, 08, 10:31 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: CVG
Programs: Former DL EP (Sigh, RIP) now GM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Nurburgring in 8:29
Posts: 1,818
Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
At one point not too long ago a 1500 (or was it 1550?) mile minimum flight was required for meal sevice (except for a few shorter ones "for competitive purposes").
It's 1550. Here is a thread I started last year after just joining DL. Fifteen hundred and fifty miles was the break point then (April 2007).
photojojo is offline  
Old Jul 20, 08, 11:12 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: IND
Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Posts: 20,095
Originally Posted by stevekstevek View Post
I think the rules apply to flights "operated by Delta", and the CRJs are operated by others as codeshares. I guess they also don't have the facilities for meals.
Delta Connection isn't really a codeshare but your point is right.
Originally Posted by Boston_Bulldog View Post
Welcome to the new world of flying. since the fuel crisis started most airlines have eliminated the majority of food service.
What is your definition of the beginning of the "fuel crisis"? Delta has dramatically added food service on mainline flights in the last 6 months or so.
indufan is offline  
Old Jul 21, 08, 8:41 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: DL DM, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 52
I've flown the SkyWest Connection CRJ 900 flight from CMH to SLC multiple times and the Snack Basket is it. This is probably as close to the cut-off as they come with a flight time of 4.04 hours and mileage of 1529 miles. I generally bring something of my own.
buckeyefan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread