Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Change fee when changing/buying a higher fare on same flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2009, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE

I have T-class fares booked for a flight in two weeks: JFK-VCE-JFK. I called Delta to ask if I could buy up to an M-fare so I can use my platinum upgrade coupons. Delta would get $1000 more out of me each way, for a net revenue gain of $2000.

The agent wanted to charge me a $250 change fee! (I told her I'd buy up if she could waive the change fee, and not otherwise. She said no go.)

Is this change fee correct?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
The agent wanted to charge me a $250 change fee! (I told her I'd buy up if she could waive the change fee, and not otherwise. She said no go.)

Is this change fee correct?
Stupid as it is, that seems to be what has been happening.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 2:01 pm

I also have tried to book a higher fare, i.e. up to a K domestic to use PMUs and been told there would be a $150.00 change fee; this is for the "exact same itenerary". This is a very touchyt area for me personally, and I have called and written more than once. Maybe we need to make a full court press on this one by our fellow FTers and see what happens!
Would be nice if:
a: DL would waive this to get more revenue on same itinerary, and/or
b: consider at least reducing it for their most $$ frequent flyers (Platinums/Golds)
Old Feb 11, 2009, 2:10 pm

I have T-class fares booked for a flight in two weeks: JFK-VCE-JFK. I called Delta to ask if I could buy up to an M-fare so I can use my platinum upgrade coupons. Delta would get $1000 more out of me each way, for a net revenue gain of $2000.

I had a phone agent tell me she was 'waiving the change fee because I was PM' in a similar circumstance about a year ago. Perhaps they've tightened up policy on this since then. It seems stupid to charge a change fee for someone paying hundreds or thousands of $ extra to bump up the fare bucket on the same flight.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Originally Posted by clarence5ybr

I had a phone agent tell me she was 'waiving the change fee because I was PM' in a similar circumstance about a year ago. Perhaps they've tightened up policy on this since then. It seems stupid to charge a change fee for someone paying hundreds or thousands of $ extra to bump up the fare bucket on the same flight.
I agree. If someone on a T fare wants to trade up to a higher fare class and give DL more money, why impose a fee?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by ADLFO
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I agree. If someone on a T fare wants to trade up to a higher fare class and give DL more money, why impose a fee?
Because an idiot is in charge of those decisions?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 3:57 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Because an idiot is in charge of those decisions?
It's the standard cookie-cutter management approach taught in business school that dictates a 'one-size-fits all approach' that results in frustrated employees and customers.

Old Feb 11, 2009, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by BigAppleCoder
It's the standard cookie-cutter management approach taught in business school that dictates a 'one-size-fits all approach' that results in frustrated employees and customers.
That's not what I was taught in business school. The fee is absolutely dumb. Do you have to pay a phone booking fee on top of this?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CalDeltaFlyer
I also have tried to book a higher fare, i.e. up to a K domestic to use PMUs and been told there would be a $150.00 change fee; this is for the "exact same itenerary". This is a very touchyt area for me personally, and I have called and written more than once. Maybe we need to make a full court press on this one by our fellow FTers and see what happens!
Would be nice if:
a: DL would waive this to get more revenue on same itinerary, and/or
b: consider at least reducing it for their most $$ frequent flyers (Platinums/Golds)
Actually, this is not policy. There is no ASC when changing to a higher fare class domestically. Internationally, is a different story.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by indufan
Actually, this is not policy. There is no ASC when changing to a higher fare class domestically. Internationally, is a different story.
Then it is internationally stupid.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
Wait- Can you buy up to a refundable fare? That makes no sense...

Jeff
Old Feb 11, 2009, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by elektronic
Wait- Can you buy up to a refundable fare? That makes no sense...

Jeff
I suspect only the extra money you paid to buy up is refundable, and not the change fee or the original fare.

I'm guessing the change fee to buy up (if it isn't just stupidity) is to keep people from buying T fares and waiting until upgrade inventory opens up, rather than buying the M fare in the first place.

Makes me wonder if many people benefit except those with corporate contracts whose tickets always book into Y regardless of price...
Old Feb 11, 2009, 8:53 pm

Don't shoot the messenger.....I had to look this up as it has changed If its any consolation, I don't agree with it.

Customers requesting a change from a published nonrefundable fare to a higher published fare may upgrade if all qualifications are met and the ASC will be waived. The ASC will be waived only when upgrading to a Y or higher fare.

On International fares, it depends on what the PEN paragraph says.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 9:03 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Originally Posted by DlRes
Customers requesting a change from a published nonrefundable fare to a higher published fare may upgrade if all qualifications are met and the ASC will be waived. The ASC will be waived only when upgrading to a Y or higher fare.
Thanks for the info, DlRes.

Lame.

Is A considered 'Y or higher'? I bet not.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbatl
Is A considered 'Y or higher'? I bet not.
I don't think A is considered Y or higher

Discounted Domestic First class. A class of service are commonly HUP and QUP fares basis, making this fare technically an "upgraded" fare.
http://www.cwsi.net/delta.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.