Community
Wiki Posts
Search

connecting from DL to Finnair in FrA

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2005, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

connecting from DL to Finnair in FrA

I have 70 minutes to connect from Delta to Finnair. Luckily they are both in the same terminal. Do I have to clear customs in Frankfurt, or can I use the transfer deak and then clear customs in Helsinki? If I have to clear customs in FRA (which I think I do), how comfortable is this connection time, assuming the flight arrives on schedule?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 23, 2005, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Yes, you will have to clear customs/immigration in FRA as Finland is part of the Schengen Agreement (internal borderless controls amongst a group of 15 European countries). FRA is therefore your first point of entry into the Schengen area. 70 min. should be ok for the connection assuming your inbound is on schedule.

Also, is the entire itinerary on one ticket (or one record) or do you have separate tickets for these flights? Having one ticket means you will be protected on the connection if you miss it...
Old May 24, 2005, 2:37 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Unless I am mistaken, you do not need to clear customs when connecting to HEL in FRA. Passport control is linked to the Schengen treaty, and you do need to clear immigration in FRA, while customs control is linked to the European Union. When I came back from SFO to CDG via FRA, my baggage were checked to our final destination where French customs agents could determine, based upon the lack of two green stripes on our baggage tags, that we were coming from outside the EU.
Old May 24, 2005, 3:09 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by JOUY31
Unless I am mistaken, you do not need to clear customs when connecting to HEL in FRA. Passport control is linked to the Schengen treaty, and you do need to clear immigration in FRA, while customs control is linked to the European Union. When I came back from SFO to CDG via FRA, my baggage were checked to our final destination where French customs agents could determine, based upon the lack of two green stripes on our baggage tags, that we were coming from outside the EU.
I just looked at the FRA website and couldn't be certain, but I believe this poster is correct. I may have done this is the past, can't remember. I have been to FRA 40-50 times and the trf desk is well before immigration and baggage claim. If its all in the same terminal, then I am pretty sure this poster is correct.

In any event, that will be enough time. The lines at immigration are always fast....

http://www1.frankfurt-airport.com/cm...ssportvisa.htm
Old May 25, 2005, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's help here. I just spoke with a co-worker who made a similar connection. You do not have to clear customs in FRA. You just go to the transfer desk and get your boarding pass. I will clear customs in Helsinki.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.