FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Thunderstorms in ATL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/51306-thunderstorms-atl.html)

10kster Jun 3, 2001 3:51 pm

Thunderstorms in ATL

Any of you traveling through ATL June 3 in the afternoon are in for a real bang. Field operations have ceased twice. One for 50 minutes and then agein aound 530pm the sky turned blacker than night and once again the field operations shut down. Anyone connecting or waiting to connect my heart goes out to ya.

Well at least another oppurtunity to drive home with the sunrise......if I ever get home.

mikepa Jun 3, 2001 3:52 pm

I'm here in ATL - on hold!

rcs85551 Jun 3, 2001 3:54 pm

Hopefully I'll get outta MUC tomorrow... if they have a plane http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif
And for those being delayed - hopefully, you have a CRC membership to have some drinks... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

Tomphot Jun 3, 2001 7:27 pm

As a matter of fact, I'm sitting in the A/atrium CRC waiting for my flight that says it will be 2 1/2 hours late.

B747-437B Jun 3, 2001 8:05 pm

I was down at Hartsfield around 5pm right as the front hit. It was remarkable how quickly everything went to hell. One of my friends was trying to get out to PDX on an S3. Fat chance tonight....

Spiff Jun 3, 2001 9:51 pm

One of the best places to wait out a delay is the CRC, especially the Atrium...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Tomphot:
As a matter of fact, I'm sitting in the A/atrium CRC waiting for my flight that says it will be 2 1/2 hours late.</font>

------------------
"Sire, it is not a revolt. It is a Revolution!"

10kster Jun 4, 2001 3:46 am

Well after a 15 hour duty day at the shop it's time to rest. Scores of cancellations and over 15 diversions to other cities (low fuel). DL booked the last hotel rooms at 2:00am, total hotel rooms booked by DL 2,765. Those unfortunate to fly in after 2am found a pillow, blanket, and an outage of CNN Airport. Frontline held strong and kept most at ease.

The begining of summer travels in ATL!

jdanton Jun 4, 2001 7:07 am

I was really lucky then. My route yesterday was scheduled to be HOU-DFW-ATL-RDU. The HOU to DFW leg (on ASA) was cancelled due to a faulty fuel gauge, so they put us on American Eagle to DFW, where we missed the connection to ATL. I was then book on AA DFW-RDU, and used miles to upgrade to first on the 767--awesome seats 3/4 recline.

mikepa Jun 4, 2001 7:15 am

I got out at 8:15PM to FLL. Almost 3 hours late but happy to finally get home after a 27 hour trip from PEK.

LAOCA Jun 4, 2001 7:28 am

I checked the weather in the AM and switched ny cxn to SLC!

LEX-TEAGUE Jun 4, 2001 10:00 am

10kster -

I was one of the many who spent some quality time in ATL last night - I have to say that all of the DL staff I observed did an excellent job! I always watch them at work and realize that I could never do their job - even for twice their salary. Great job all the way around.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by 10kster:
Well after a 15 hour duty day at the shop it's time to rest. Scores of cancellations and over 15 diversions to other cities (low fuel). DL booked the last hotel rooms at 2:00am, total hotel rooms booked by DL 2,765. Those unfortunate to fly in after 2am found a pillow, blanket, and an outage of CNN Airport. Frontline held strong and kept most at ease.

The begining of summer travels in ATL!
</font>

B747-437B Jun 4, 2001 1:27 pm

10k - Big kudos to you and the fellow Deltoids over the handling of yesterday's events. I was out there last night and again this morn - and it was remarkably well organized for such a FUBAR situation.

pjs Jun 4, 2001 1:33 pm

I guess this explains why my scheduled 8:40 AM PBI-ATL flight was pushed back to 11:47AM this morning due to 'crew rest'. I did get the 6AM wake-up call from Delta informing me of the change and allowing some extra time at home with the family.

I have to admit Delta are excellent at informing passengers of delays before they leave for the airport (with the exception of the 3AM phone call a couple of months ago!)

balt4house Jun 4, 2001 1:34 pm

Would everyone *please* stop mentioning the atrium. I went in to fits when DL published it in the skymiles swag... now you guys keep on bragging about it. The place will never be quiet after this!

-g

dlpmmm Jun 4, 2001 3:16 pm

I would have loved to have waited out the storm at the A, but we were #2 for takeoff when the airport closed. I really want to say that the crew did an excellent job of keeping the hordes (on a full old 767) entertained for 2 hours on the tarmac. The captain invited people to the cockpit, they showed a movie, and of course brought out the beverages and all the almonds/pretzels you could handle. I sure was glad to be in FC, but it appeared that everyone in coach was comfortable. The good news was we were up and away as soon as the storm passed and only 3 hours late to PBI. Could have been much worse.