FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Delta Charges Cents. Delta Pays Cents. This Makes No Sense... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/458219-delta-charges-cents-delta-pays-cents-makes-no-sense.html)

RCC Jan 27, 2005 4:46 pm

I wonder out of a dime what would Amex take.

Out of that for some one to account for it, what would that cost.....

all in all, more than the dime, according to me.

way to go delta, this is a prime example of running over the dollars to collect the DIMES

par8thed Jan 27, 2005 7:59 pm

Here's my two cents.
Here's my two cents.
Here's my two cents.
Here's my two cents.
Here's my two cents.

(That makes 10, right? ;) )

NoStressHere Jan 27, 2005 9:28 pm

As to what it cost DL to deal with this transaction. It would cost:

1) $100 since that is what they wanted to charge to change a flight last year
or
2) $50 since that is what it costs to change a ticket today
or
3) $10 since that is what it costs to call and book a flight today
or
4) Lots of time/money for the agent, since they are so busy outsourcing to other countries to save some money.

hmmmmm.....

Reminds me of the time that cingular sent me a bill for 25 months in a row showing a balance of $0.51.

Imagine what that cost them?

bigjim Jan 28, 2005 5:30 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
As to what it cost DL to deal with this transaction. It would cost:

1) $100 since that is what they wanted to charge to change a flight last year
or
2) $50 since that is what it costs to change a ticket today
or
3) $10 since that is what it costs to call and book a flight today
or
4) Lots of time/money for the agent, since they are so busy outsourcing to other countries to save some money.

hmmmmm.....

Reminds me of the time that cingular sent me a bill for 25 months in a row showing a balance of $0.51.

Imagine what that cost them?

;) The items listed in bullets 1 through 3 relate to Delta's income - not their expenses. I'm not going to touch #4. :D

I think that almost all of us have experienced a "cingular" type of situation. The difference that I see is that a small balance would routinely occur with those type of merchants. I have no personal knowledge, but I would think that it is very uncommon for this $.10 situation to occur on a routine, ongoing basis for Delta.

FWAAA Jan 28, 2005 9:45 am

Originally Posted by rebadc
I also thought Congress waived the 9/11 security fee to the airlines that last time they went to the hill asking for a bailout.

If this is the case why has this not been passed to the airlines customers?

You are talking about a short-term waiver of that tax which, IIRC, ran from about May 2003 to about September 2003. Since then, the airlines have had to pay that tax.

And your question assumes that passengers actually pay that tax on top of what the airlines want to charge; there is almost no evidence that airlines are able to pass along the costs of those taxes to customers.

If airlines COULD tack those taxes on top of the ticket price and collect it, then airlines could easily do the same with high fuel prices. And there is lots of evidence that airlines are unable to do so.

SRQ Guy Jan 28, 2005 10:33 am

You shoul dhave just dropped a dime on the counter. :D

JS Jan 28, 2005 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
You shoul dhave just dropped a dime on the counter. :D

But then you would get SSSS'ed for buying a ticket with cash! :o

Lavarock7 Jan 28, 2005 5:16 pm

The charge

Originally Posted by wsbombers
Delta absolutely has to collect the tax. However, they could have decided to give you a .10 refund on your fare and apply the refund to the tax payment.

In reality, if I was the agent, I would have aproached it this way:

I know it's silly, but I am required to collect 10 cents from you. Since it will cost Delta maybe a couple dollars to put through a charge through on your card, can I ask that you just offer this amount at the counter at the airport? It will also give you a great story about the looks you got when you paid ten cents for a ticket! :)

Then I would just make a notation in the record that customer would pay remaining amount at the counter.

ms60 Jan 28, 2005 5:52 pm

I had a similar event; but somewhat reverse; they wanted to credit me $.02 and they insisted on sending via us mail a confirmation....

Seems like they should have figured away (and I suggested it) a way to alter the fair some way and make it a no mnetary difference. So they are losing the donation of a whopping two cents, incurring credit card transactions and the 37 cents to mail a confirmation

makes you wonder

andymo99 Jan 28, 2005 6:25 pm

UDH brought this up in 01/04 when the tax went from $3 to $3.10. The thread got only 1 reply. This year it went from $3.10 to $3.20 and the topic has gotten 52 in 24 hrs.

What is this about Bruce stiffing a cabbie? Link?

Thucydides Jan 28, 2005 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by bigjim
Thanks for trying to clarify my point Thucydides.

.... Yes, I agree that it seems that there should be an easy fix for this - but, it's not always as easy as outward appearances would always seem - just like trying to make this point here on Flyertalk. :rolleyes:

Likewise bigjim.

There are more absurd things in this ongoing post than just the 10 cents...

And to whoever posted on some bank in Ohio - I don't think you will get much response from the State of Ohio - they don't refund taxes below $1 either...

Reindeerflame Jan 28, 2005 10:19 pm

Solution for refund of small credit card credit amounts

Here's my proven solution for getting those small credits.

Use the credit card where you have, say, a $.32 credit balance, stop at your favorite gas station, and carefully pump just $.32 worth. (If you want more gas, pump the rest using a different credit card).

andyr Jan 28, 2005 10:25 pm

Not the tax, but the charge

The focus on "having to collect the tax" or "waiving the tax" kind of misses the point, I think. It would seem logical that if you change a ticket resulting in a difference in the amount charged, whether tax, fare, or whatever, Delta could decide to not bother to charge amounts less than, say, $1, and also not to credit amounts less than $1.

This would have nothing to do with establishing different fare buckets than are 10 cents less than the old ones, or whatever, it would just be a process at the very end when you are going to charge someone a delta price (shh-boom).

Of course, everyone would b**ch about not getting their 32 cents back.

I'm not saying they have to do that, or even should, but if the cost of running the transaction were over $1, the policy would save them money. It is doubtful that even FT'ers would game the fare system enough to construct scenarios where the change was $0.99 on a consistent basis.

Just my 2 cents worth ...

--- Andy R.

Spiff Jan 28, 2005 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by general45
Sprint did the same thing to me when sending me a final bill. The total was 2 cents. I called customer service and asked to have it waived. The nice girl on the other end said that unfortunately they had no way of doing this so I had to remit my 2 cent payment. Well, feeling that they needed as much aggravation as they were causing me, I remitted a 3 cent check. Now I show a 1 cent credit. I called them to ask for a refund and they said that they will process it, allthough it would take 1-2 billing cycles for me to receive it. Go figure!

^ ^ Nicely done. I will remember that one.

FWAAA Jan 29, 2005 12:09 am

Originally Posted by andymo99
UDH brought this up in 01/04 when the tax went from $3 to $3.10. The thread got only 1 reply. This year it went from $3.10 to $3.20 and the topic has gotten 52 in 24 hrs.

What is this about Bruce stiffing a cabbie? Link?

Guess that Bruce writes a much more attractive description of the issue than did UDH. :)

But the reply by Spiff to UDH's thread last year was a good one. :D