FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   What shall I do if the name is spelled wrong. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/328336-what-shall-i-do-if-name-spelled-wrong.html)

gachen Jun 10, 2004 10:31 am

What shall I do if the name is spelled wrong.

I made a telephone reservation for two people. The first phone call, one passenger’s name spelled wrong. The second phone call, I attempted to correct the mistake before ticketing. After ticketing, I checked the reservation, the first mistake was not corrected, and the second passenger's name spelled wrong too. I called again for the third time, and the agent said he marked some comments with the reservation, but the names still there in the wrong spelling. Anyone here had the experience of this situation with the wrong spelling name in the reservation when traveling? How big trouble I expect to have. BTW, it is India call center, each phone call is a 40 min+ hold before talk to the agent, plus one more mistake after the phone call. :confused: That is really stressful.

Spiff Jun 10, 2004 10:37 am

Call back!

Keep calling back until the problem is solved. Use email if calling is cost prohibitive.

The consequences of a misspelled name could be no frequent flyer mileage, or much worse, denied boarding.

Flying_Duck Jun 10, 2004 11:26 am

For some reason this always seems to be a hassle. I recently had a travelagency from the group inviting me put my middle name in the reservation, which made it inassessible to me on the web. When calling customer service they said they could not change it, it had to be the travel agent. The travel agenecy said they couldn't do it because they would have to re-issue the ticket.

This is what I had to do to change it: I had to call Delta Computer (Technical) support on 888-750-3284 and ask for the change, this was done instantly after it was approved by the supervisor.

Hope it works for you. Good luck.

BamaVol Jun 10, 2004 11:53 am

This past Sunday in BHM, one of the TSA goons tried to prevent the pax in front of me from passing security because her boarding pass said Debbie and her license said Debra. I don't know the outcome because I went around them while they argued.

I'd find a way to get it fixed.

crimguy1976 Jun 10, 2004 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
This past Sunday in BHM, one of the TSA goons tried to prevent the pax in front of me from passing security because her boarding pass said Debbie and her license said Debra. I don't know the outcome because I went around them while they argued.

I'd find a way to get it fixed.

One would think people would get over "nicknames" as they become adults.

adamak Jun 10, 2004 12:14 pm

Call and ask to talk to the manager immediately and argue. I had similiar problem once on CO, and the agent wont' change the name w/o charging me. They said it's a change of passenger. It was last min, so I had no choice but to pay my $75 change fee. I am still furious about that.

dedehans Jun 10, 2004 1:55 pm

Call back, ask to speak to a supervisor....
If you can, tell him/her the date and time of your last calls and remind them you do know all conversations are recorded....
Always get the name(s) of those you have spoken with too...

Good luck.

ThisDJ Jun 10, 2004 2:53 pm

I have had SMS re-issue a ticket for a family member that had a mis-spelled name, there was no charge, you definitely want to do this so the passenger can you the Kiosks for check in purposes, especially if it is a multiple segment itinerary. And Security is a whole different problem.

Traveller Jun 10, 2004 4:22 pm

I got a skymiles ticket for my niece last year, she has a hyphenated last name. I only put her "first last" name on the ticket. Her ID has her entire name. She had no problems in either Miami or Las Vegas.

indufan Jun 10, 2004 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by crimguy1976

I didn't realize that the fact I generally go by Mike was a sign of inmaturity.

hackensacknj Jun 11, 2004 6:45 am

Originally Posted by crimguy1976

One poster refers to this as immaturity (see post above).

I don't know that I would call it immaturity. But I would call it irresponsible. Plain and simple, your boarding card name must match your legal ID name. Go ahead and go by Debbie, Debra, Deb, etc. But when it is time to get on the airplane, you had better be Debra if that is what your legal ID says. It really does not take much effort for Debbie to be Debra at the airport.

BamaVol Jun 11, 2004 11:51 am

Originally Posted by hackensacknj
One poster refers to this as immaturity (see post above).

I don't know that I would call it immaturity. But I would call it irresponsible. Plain and simple, your boarding card name must match your legal ID name. Go ahead and go by Debbie, Debra, Deb, etc. But when it is time to get on the airplane, you had better be Debra if that is what your legal ID says. It really does not take much effort for Debbie to be Debra at the airport.

In college, my nickname was "Che". I don't want to see that on my BP.

gachen Jun 11, 2004 2:54 pm

Thanks everyone for your advises. After I was holding for more than 20 minutes and gave up, I went to airport ticket counter. Changing name in the reservation takes one minute. And I was told when I recived the paper ticket, come to the ticket counter again and they will reissue it. My two cents, if you can not get the work down from the other side of the earth, go to the ticket counter.

felis Jun 12, 2004 1:07 am

Two years ago, my ticket was emitted with firstname in place of my name. I got five additional minutes busy explaining, showing my pass. It resulted in difficulties of getting my miles, but I could take my flights.

However, this was a simple inversion, and I would not recomand to take the risk to leave with a ticket having different indications than the one shown on the pass.

Tsukiji Aug 9, 2005 1:09 pm

Incorrect spelling on ticket - huge problem?

I just received my ticketed itinerary for travel from MDT to MBJ and back again. The agent who created the reservation had a typo and one letter that should be an "o" is now an "a" in my husbands last name. My ticket is correct. When I called to have it corrected I was told they couldnt and that is shouldn't be a problem.

In your experiences - has this small of an error ever been a problem. Is it really impossible once a reservation has been ticked to change an incorrect spelling or was I getting the brush off.

Thanks.