FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   New DL Double or Triple QM Promo in the works? AA fires first shot (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/991159-new-dl-double-triple-qm-promo-works-aa-fires-first-shot.html)

sany2 Sep 10, 2009 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette (Post 12361799)
To maximize the roll-over miles. Personally, I don't think the math works (unless you forsee a one-year, temporary short-fall in earnings), and feel one should either stop at 75k or keep going all the way to 125k, but others have different opinions. There are several threads on this topic.

More importantly, one presumably needs to register for the double MQM promotion (should there be one), so If one doesn't want to go over 124.9k, they could just not register.

I myself am ambivalent. I will be Plat regardless, and I really don't have that much travel scheduled for the rest of the year, though it would provide a 3-5k rollover if they did double eqm on premium fares (maybe more if they allowed all fares).

wco81 Sep 10, 2009 6:15 pm

To get rollover miles?

GoCanes Sep 10, 2009 8:19 pm

It is now Day 1 after CO matched... no word from DL. Why DL, why??? Match, please match!!!

pmaddock Sep 10, 2009 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by GoCanes (Post 12363058)
It is now Day 1 after CO matched... no word from DL. Why DL, why??? Match, please match!!!

I think the answer is pretty straightforward - they are probably either not inclined or capable of matching this given what they've got on the table right now. (substantial program revisions, merging the NW program, and given those EQM gifts). A ship as complex as DL cannot respond to something like this without either slipping committments or risking implementation gaps.

Still you know they are probably tortured by the now growing list of competitive matches. I'm sure the mental anguish in dear Mr. Robertson's head must be tylenol worthy by now. His head must be spinning trying to come up with yet another one of his spins to respond to his boss's queries on the impact.

stephem Sep 10, 2009 11:22 pm

I've heard that DL has the expectation is there will only be a few thousand Diamonds. It would make sense if DL has already done the math on how many Diamonds they want/expect, they aren't likely to want to do a 2x EQM and screw that calculation up. A smart move by the other airlines here, I dare say DL can't match this and there will be lots of folks who will move some long and more lucrative international travel over to these other airlines and grab top tier there in these last few months of the year.

nfg05 Sep 10, 2009 11:33 pm

I think CO dropping 50% EQM for cheap fares is a big deal. I wasn't sad to see them leave SkyTeam because of that policy, but now I wish they were still around. Oh well, hopefully it will make DL less likely to try a stunt like that in the future.

ADLFO Sep 10, 2009 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by stephem (Post 12363760)
I've heard that DL has the expectation is there will only be a few thousand Diamonds. It would make sense if DL has already done the math on how many Diamonds they want/expect, they aren't likely to want to do a 2x EQM and screw that calculation up. A smart move by the other airlines here, I dare say DL can't match this and there will be lots of folks who will move some long and more lucrative international travel over to these other airlines and grab top tier there in these last few months of the year.

Regardless of DLs DM target number, they may feel forced to match if their data shows they are indeed losing a great deal of profitable travel. Sometimes you have to play defense.

A modest proposal: Don't match the DEQM, but instead make the DL SWUs useable on most fares. In that way, DL FFers would have a reason to keep their profitable flights on DL instead of shifting them to other carriers, even those with the DEQMs.

nfg05 Sep 11, 2009 12:10 am

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 12362485)

To get rollover miles?

I believe the poster was saying: if you don't want a double eqm promotion to make you reach diamond medallion, just don't sign up for the DEQM promotion.

Evan! Sep 11, 2009 7:28 am

Originally Posted by pmaddock (Post 12363368)
Still you know they are probably tortured by the now growing list of competitive matches. I'm sure the mental anguish in dear Mr. Robertson's head must be tylenol worthy by now. His head must be spinning trying to come up with yet another one of his spins to respond to his boss's queries on the impact.

Jeff can't possibly be surprised that others would match or exceed DL's changes. Airlines are famous for following the leader... both to the top and to the bottom. :D

Originally Posted by stephem (Post 12363760)
I dare say DL can't match this and there will be lots of folks who will move some long and more lucrative international travel over to these other airlines and grab top tier there in these last few months of the year.

Amex, Hilton, gifting, an earlier 2009 double promo... DL has provided and is providing lots of ways of banking MQMs. Its too bad that the past is the past and customers are likely to follow what stephenm is asserting.

Originally Posted by nfg05 (Post 12363870)
I believe the poster was saying: if you don't want a double eqm promotion to make you reach diamond medallion, just don't sign up for the DEQM promotion.

I'm confused. Is DL running a double promo? CO doesn't have a "diamond" status as far as I know. And "EQM" is a CO term while "MQM" is a DL term. Are we talking about a yet-to-be-announced double promo from Delta that might affect someone's (future) diamond status?

pbarnette Sep 11, 2009 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Evan! (Post 12364788)
Amex, Hilton, gifting, an earlier 2009 double promo... DL has provided and is providing lots of ways of banking MQMs. Its too bad that the past is the past and customers are likely to follow what stephenm is asserting.

But, if this is the case, then DL's only real option is to match. Those that want secondary status will likely chase it, and offering an easier path to Diamond is at least one way to keep some (not all, granted) folks to stick around. I mean, if I have 75k MQMs and plan to do another 25k MQMs, then DL makes the decision harder if my choices are Diamond vs AA Plat, for example, rather than AA Plat vs 25k roll-over MQMs.

Besides, if they match then they can hope to attract those with other programs looking to get a secondary status.

GTITAN Sep 11, 2009 8:46 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette (Post 12364844)
But, if this is the case, then DL's only real option is to match. Those that want secondary status will likely chase it, and offering an easier path to Diamond is at least one way to keep some (not all, granted) folks to stick around. I mean, if I have 75k MQMs and plan to do another 25k MQMs, then DL makes the decision harder if my choices are Diamond vs AA Plat, for example, rather than AA Plat vs 25k roll-over MQMs.

Besides, if they match then they can hope to attract those with other programs looking to get a secondary status.

Pbarnette, I would say you are spot on. I have about 50K left to fly this year which I will gladly give to DL to make diamond with a 2x MQM promo on all fares. If not, I will allocate to AA and CO likely to have top tier plus extra benefits (AA) and top tier (CO), respectively. Not saying I am any big deal or anything of the sort (no illusions of grandeur here (LOL)), but I would assume that there are a few of us and that revenue adds up.

Anyway it is an interesting time indeed. Hope everyone is well and takes a moment to remember today (9/11).

Be Well,
GT

asl124 Sep 11, 2009 9:51 am

Dl vs UA

Originally Posted by DaChief (Post 12320157)
My thoughts exactly. How many people that have already qualified for status on DL might jump ship to AA seeing that they could earn double qualifying miles and quickly get status there as well before the end of the year.....myself included.

I am at silver on both DL and UA, with much travel to do this fall, so I will use the airline that gives double qualifying miles and so far UA has made that offer.

pmaddock Sep 11, 2009 11:15 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette (Post 12364844)

It definitely leads to a line of thinking that would lead DL to match. As I review my own cirucmstance I see 3 major possibilities:
1. If I give the rest of my year's flying to DL I'll likely end up with DM and a tiny amount of rollover.
2. If I split my remaining flying with one of the 2XEQM carriers then I'll end up with PM in 2010 + guaranteed SM in 2011 due to rollover and status on another airline as a hedge if something goes wrong with DL. This option seems far more attractive as it gives me a 2 year Elite runway with DL plus a backup.
3. If DL were to match the 2X EQM then I could end up with DM and enough rollover for SM in 2011 - that would lessen the attractiveness of splitting my flying for this year.

Of course, I imagine this all varies with circumstance (e.g. how you think your 2010 travel budget might look) and with the perception of how much more value DM offers over PM. I can only speak for myself.

NHFL9 Sep 11, 2009 11:55 am

A colleague of mine who is a DL Gold just booked an international J trip to DXB today. He opted to fly UA over DL given that the one trip would earn him mid-level status there. Just one reference point to show that DL is losing at least some business by not matching.

stephem Sep 11, 2009 12:05 pm

I'm in the same boat. I have at least: 2 asia trips (24k EQMs each), 1 EU trip (17k EQMs) and 1 ME trip (21k EQMs)

I already have DL/NW Plat, so I could requal BA Gold and nail UA 1K (with 2x EQM promo) with my remaining travel. Or I could do BA Gold and hit DL Diamond. But DL Plat, BA Gold and UA 1K seems like a better portfolio, so I don't know that NW/DL will get the business.

I wonder though if Diamond will be so special if DL does a 2xEQM promo?