Wiki Posts
Search

PM saturation has arrived

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2009, 7:50 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Originally Posted by DP-340
From one fanatic to another:
  1. I would agree that to the normal flier, price and service are most important. However, with 100k+ fliers whose fares are mostly paid by clients/employers comfort/perks are probably most important.
I'm a 200+ flyer, and the price, service and schedule get more important as I fly more. Comfort is a part of service. FF perks I find are not that different between programs at the top level. A couple of hundred bucks on a personal trip is just not that important in the big scheme of things, when compared to other factors (like mainline service).

There are some 100+K flyers that will forego the more convenient airline for the one with the "SWU advantage" or other FF program perk difference, but those are generally the minority of elite customers, and not necessarily the highest RASM customers.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by WBurcham
I've actually see my upgrades clearing as I would have expected, at the 5 day window. Another positive is the DL seems to be holding back more upgrades for day of departure. It means that if I, as a PM, decide I want to SDC, there's an F seat that I could get!
I'm still seeing UGs on NW clearing most frequently at 6 days out.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
It is the exact same complaints that have been going on for years.

Here is a thread from 2005:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...e-members.html

Some of the same people are still here and still complaining about the same things.

Here's a thread from 2004:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...e-reasons.html

Anything there sound familiar?

These are just two of dozens of threads each year.

If you look at the other airlines boards, you will see the same sort of complaints with a different twist (ie they have a similar set of complaints, but the specific frustrations might be different) month in and month out.

FTers are just obsessive over their FF programs. They can't help it.

Point being that these same complaints that some here say will drive all the PMs and DMs away were being complained about five and ten years ago. There are also similar things being said about each of the other airlines on the other boards.

Normal FFers don't pay that much attention to the differences between programs, as the differences really aren't that big overall.
While you are right on a 'normal' basis I would remind you that DL did go too far once. Remember when they implemented 50% EQM and cut off EUA for lower fares? Those cuts and a few others got the whole SOS thing started and DL did some major about-faces on the changes. FFs rose with one voice and DL cried uncle. I find it interesting that there seems to be so little fight left in the DL FF community with the history of that amazing achievement in the history.

Last edited by pmaddock; Sep 1, 2009 at 10:38 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 1, 2009, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
The whole idea of a successful elite program is to create loyalty. Hence, in this case for the money to stay with DL. What you are saying, suggests that DL's PM program does not work! If that was the case DL and the other airlines would have eliminated their programs a long time ago.
I used to think, if one of the legacies thought they could get away with this, and that the others would also follow suit, that FF programs would be over in a heartbeat.

However, DL would be hampered by its need for an occasional cash infusion from Amex to stay afloat.

My current belief is the rational behind FF programs is related to the old "if I could only sell one pair of shoes to each person in China" approach. The focus is on luring in members, not keeping the existing elite members happy.

If the credit card hawkers in the airports can can lure every person in the US (or, at least, a sizable portion) into the FF program with promises of "FREE tickets for only 25,000 miles" (Yes, they still claim FREE tickets)...

and if the bulk of the new members give DL some business, but never accumulate the considerably more than 25,000 miles necessary to gain two tickets (after all, how many people want to go someplace alone?)...

and, if a considerable portion of the awarded miles expire anyway...

then DL and Amex come out way ahead on the proposition.

This is not about stimulating loyalty... it's about stimulating churn.

Elites, and their expectations, are just the downside to running a FF program.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 8:25 pm
g50

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA LTP, Hyatt Globalist, FB Plat
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I used to think, if one of the legacies thought they could get away with this, and that the others would also follow suit, that FF programs would be over in a heartbeat.
You are correct, but it will never happen.

"if I could only sell one pair of shoes to each person in China" approach.
Worked out just the opposite. 10 pairs of Chinese shoes in everyone else's closet.

If the credit card hawkers in the airports can can lure every person in the US (or, at least, a sizable portion) into the FF program with promises of "FREE tickets for only 25,000 miles" (Yes, they still claim FREE tickets)...

and if the bulk of the new members give DL some business, but never accumulate the considerably more than 25,000 miles necessary to gain two tickets (after all, how many people want to go someplace alone?)...

and, if a considerable portion of the awarded miles expire anyway...
Agree, I can't figure out how someone would pay something like $150 to $450 a year for a credit card, only charge 5k a year, and then use triple miles for a $100 ticket because there were no skysaver seats. Of course they had to pay the rapid redemption fee of something like $150.
But it is not like Delta puts a gun to their heads.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 6:22 am

Programs: AA lifetime Plat; DL Platinum & Black Reserve
any final answer on Black Reserve upgrade power?

Originally Posted by DLgrl
I asked 4 people at work today. 3 people agreed with me, one agreed with you. I emailed a department that handles these kind of questions, so as soon as I hear back from them I will let you know.

I wish I did get credit for this! If I had a direct line I would certainly give it to all of you to call ME and I would transfer you to amex! If some of you don't believe me, that's ok, you don't have to. I just want the correct information to be out there, and if I misunderstood the way it works, I will still tell you what I find out.

I was never under the impression that the reserve card worked the way you all say here. From the way I understood it, if 2 PMs in L are on the list, time of check in is the tie breaker, so I don't know why there would need to be another tie breaker. Delta doesn't usually give us wrong information just to get the transfer to AMEX so I'm not sure why they would put us all under that impression.

The reason I mention to call AMEX if you don't believe me is that in order to get someone to sign up for the card I am pretty sure they are going to be the most familiar with how the benefits of the card work. However, like I said before I will find out what I can and let you know!
just checking if you ever received a "definitive" answer from whoever you emailed...
Old Sep 2, 2009, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by dsolomon
just checking if you ever received a "definitive" answer from whoever you emailed...
I bumped this thread last week too and haven't seen anything.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL skymiles
Originally Posted by dsolomon
Hey sorry I forgot to let you guys know! I did email that other department, who just emailed me back and quoted what I had already found, so no more info there since I interpret it one way and you interpret it a different way!

I asked around the office, and 90% of the people I asked agreed with me (PM/IP L clears before a PM M) but I don't have a 100% answer for you. There are a few more people I plan on asking that I haven't seen yet, so when/if I find anything else out I will pass it on. Sorry I don't have a for definite answer!
Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
PM saturation is definitely here:

Even with the AMEX-Reserve card, I am No.10 out of 24 on the upgrade list for LAX-ATL and only 3 available F seats! Now I know where all the silvers and golds are...
Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,

Even with the AMEX-Reserve card, I am No.10 out of 24 on the upgrade list for LAX-ATL and only 3 available F seats! Now I know where all the silvers and golds are...
1. Thats the hardest market for upgrades, I have seen 75+ on the upgrade list for ATL-LAX-ATL.
2. What fare are you on?
Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat

That's typical of LAX-ATL it has been happening for YEARS. I've spent more time in Y on that route than any other.

Edit: Does that mean that DP-340 had 9 other DL Reserve card holders ahead in the upgrade list? As that's what DLgrl has implied.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:20 pm

+1. Last week I was PM Reserve and 20th on the UPG list on this route---obviously not jumping over higher fare classes. That's why I maintain EXP on AA---I use DL for certain routes, but if I'm interested in a UPG on a certain trip, I book on AA. I fly on busy days at busy times, so YMMV, of course....and quite frankly, DL exit rows are not bad at all in Y!
Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by DLATL777
1. Thats the hardest market for upgrades, I have seen 75+ on the upgrade list for ATL-LAX-ATL.
2. What fare are you on?
I have seen 60+, but I was typically in the top 20% (without the Reserve card). What surprises me is not that I was not upgraded; what surprises me is to be 10/24! That means that there is relatively few Silvers, Golds and PMs without reserve behind me. Hence, PM saturation, and the need for DM to have a chance at upgrades next year... In other words, DM will be the new PM...
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
In other words, DM will be the new PM...
And yet, many appear not to want DM status.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLfan
And yet, many appear not to want DM status.
Yep. I won't be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.