Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Paris (CDG): The Definitive Thread

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Paris (CDG): The Definitive Thread

Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:53 pm

Programs: NW, DL PM, AA, AC
Connecting through CDG - Don't!

Title says all
Old Feb 7, 2006, 1:02 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
No way you can connect in 55 minutes, even on a good day. It took me almost 40 minutes to get from the plane to the terminal. That drove me nuts. The bus was full, but they won't move it. Plus, our flight was delayed for an hour.

I'd say allow at least 1.5 hours, if not 2 to get thru CDG.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
On a really good day (maybe 2 or 3/365), one hour *might* be enough time.

I would not connect at CDG with less than 2 hours. I am a New Yorker and walk quickly, and I prefer 3 hours. Actually I prefer to connect at another airport.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
I'm one of those that actually likes connecting at CDG because I like to enjoy the architecture of 2F. However, virtually everything that has been posted about connections at CDG and allowing time for the @#&*% buses is correct. Change the flight. @:-)
Old Feb 7, 2006, 6:19 pm

Programs: Cont'l Gold One Pass, Intercont'l Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by JOUY31
A somewhat dissenting opinion , but YMMV.

2E to 2F1 (Schengen) is an easy connection. If your flight arrives on time, 55mn is OK. No need to rebook, as you can probably make it; otherwise, you will be rebooked on the later flight. This can be done either automatically, if the actual time available is shorter than the MCT (45mn), or at the transfer desk otherwise.

- 15mn to reach 2E by bus
- 5-10mn to go through immigration in 2E
- 5mn to cross the Galerie to 2F (I usually do it in 2mn)
- 1mn to go up the escalator in front of the Galerie
- 2mn and a left turn to reach security check in the 2F1 departures area
- security check - there is a fast track line for premium and elite plus passengers
- 5mn to any gate in the 2F1 departures area from security check

Ok, now add 30mn on to that for a child. As a mother of 2, that's had to connect at CDG, trust me... You need AT LEAST 1 hour and a half. Of course it's possible (yet not likely) that everything will go smoothly and you'll easily make it, but why spend your entire flight from JFK to CDG sweating it? Better to be relaxed and well rested for Venice. Buon Viaggio!
Old Feb 7, 2006, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Recently I had a similar connection however arriving at 9AM and leaving at 10:25AM. Here is why I didn't make it. Delayed departure from JFK, still had us slated to arrive at 9:05 due to padding of schedule. Circled around CDG for 20 mins due to whatever trafic reasons. Landed at 9:25 and taxied for 10 minutes to the remotest place on earth, a trailer park at the edge of the terminal. Waited TEN MINUTES of stairs to be moved less than 30 feet - Not one shuttle woman waiting to take tight connectng pax away (something I have learned NOT to expect in any case). Despite being in BE, were forced to wait for bus to fill up (it was now 9:45). Took leisurely drive to main 2E terminal as kind busdriver allowed every slow moving baggage car, etc to have right of way. Stuck in customs line for 15 minutes at which point from experience I knew there was no way in hell I was making the connection - it was now 10:10. Went to connections desk to check if next flight was late (it had already closed) where I was weirdly told that I had to go to the DL desk because as it was an electronic ticket AF hadn't rebooked me (so much for ST!) went out and upstairs and had explained to me that in these situations AF now REQUIRES a paper ticket and that I was in fact already rebooked on the next flight however could nto be processed unless DL converted my ticket to paper. I then had a leisurely 2 hours to make my next flight. I should note that I hung around the DL desk for a half hour to greet an old friend of mine that works there, only when I left did I see some of my fellow pax who missed their connections joining me. The point that I am making is that I have flown through CDG countless times am very familiar with the place, was travelling alone nd am very fast. For the uninitiated I would add up to another hour to the scenario. The place just bites, allow as much time as you can.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:51 am

Trying to reschedule to a later flight is a good idea. The connection time will be difficult especially with a child.

Originally Posted by andrea t
Thank you all for the advice. I will call and try to get the later flight. Since I'm using miles I don't know how possible that is. Comprehensive travel insurance policy is already in place in case luggage is lost or delayed, and I will pack more of an essentials carryon, too. Thanks again!
Old Feb 8, 2006, 9:16 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by hfly
Recently I had a similar connection however arriving at 9AM and leaving at 10:25AM. Here is why I didn't make it. Delayed departure from JFK, still had us slated to arrive at 9:05 due to padding of schedule. Circled around CDG for 20 mins due to whatever trafic reasons. Landed at 9:25 and taxied for 10 minutes to the remotest place on earth, a trailer park at the edge of the terminal. Waited TEN MINUTES of stairs to be moved less than 30 feet - Not one shuttle woman waiting to take tight connectng pax away (something I have learned NOT to expect in any case). Despite being in BE, were forced to wait for bus to fill up (it was now 9:45). Took leisurely drive to main 2E terminal as kind busdriver allowed every slow moving baggage car, etc to have right of way. Stuck in customs line for 15 minutes at which point from experience I knew there was no way in hell I was making the connection - it was now 10:10. Went to connections desk to check if next flight was late (it had already closed) where I was weirdly told that I had to go to the DL desk because as it was an electronic ticket AF hadn't rebooked me (so much for ST!) went out and upstairs and had explained to me that in these situations AF now REQUIRES a paper ticket and that I was in fact already rebooked on the next flight however could nto be processed unless DL converted my ticket to paper. I then had a leisurely 2 hours to make my next flight. I should note that I hung around the DL desk for a half hour to greet an old friend of mine that works there, only when I left did I see some of my fellow pax who missed their connections joining me. The point that I am making is that I have flown through CDG countless times am very familiar with the place, was travelling alone nd am very fast. For the uninitiated I would add up to another hour to the scenario. The place just bites, allow as much time as you can.
I couldn't have described it better...this is my normal experience flying through CDG connecting from a DL flight from JFK to an AF flight. Reservations/delta.com always tries to book one on DL118 that arrives at 0900 but I always insist on taking DL16 which arrives at 0745 so as to allow enough connecting time. (This is going to be a problem starting with the summer schedule as DL16 has been cancelled and 118 will be the only DL metal JFK-CDG flight. Though they've padded the schedule by another 25 minutes, I have NO confidence that 118 will actually be on the blocks by 0900).

The JFK/India-CDG flyers really suffer because of the remote "trailer park" parking. It ALWAYS takes at least 5 minutes for them to position the stairs and get the door opened. It then takes 5-10 minutes for the first bus to fill up and then another 10-12 minutes for the scenic bus ride to 2E. Imagine that: every DL JFK-CDG flight has a minimum 20 minutes of "wasted time" from the time the a/c stops at the parking stand until one actually arrives at the designated arrival terminal. How in the world is one supposed to make a connection within the "legal minimum connecting time" of 45 minutes that AF and DL still push? Not only that, AF, for "on time departure" reasons, always manages to close their flights 10-15 minutes before the scheduled departure time. If you are not at the gate 10 mins before departure, it's "please go to the transfer counter for a rebooking". Essentially, that leaves one with 15-20 minutes to go through immigration, walk from 2E to the other terminals, and go through security. This of course assumes you hold a passport that allows you to enter France without a visa. Otherwise, you're on the Transfer bus and 15 minutes is not going to do it.

My usual routing is JFK-CDG-ZRH and 70% of the time, DL at JFK check-in is not able to issue me boarding passes for my CDG-ZRH flight (after three years of doing this, nobody is able to tell me why). This means, I am technically not checked in for my onward connection and I have to stop by a transfer counter. And when this happens, 90% of the time, the E-ticket is "lost" between DL and AF. DL insists in its system that my whole ticket is still electronic while AF is demanding a paper ticket. And since there are no DL personnel in the airside area, one is forced to go to the ticket counter outside. I have learnt now to always ask DL at JFK check-in to print out a "flight coupon" for the AF connecting flight....

Sorry for the long rant but everyone needs to know what a ridiculous state the whole AF-DL CDG connection situation is, especially when arriving at the remote, remote 2E parking, as well as the sad state of affairs between the AF-DL cooperation (after 5 years of working together, they still cannot get the whole E-ticketing thing straightened out!!)
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:20 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Strategies for improving checked-bag odds in CDG connection?

I should've known better, but I didn't see all the warnings here on FT until AFTER I'd booked the tickets! But based on what I've read, I'll soon be toast, and my reputation as a family trip planner will be even crispier.

The tickets I booked involve a DL codeshare on Alitalia (including one car seat and two umbrella strollers, no less!) FCO-CDG, and then a DL codeshare on Air France CDG-ATL, after about a 3-hr. layover at CDG, and then an overnight in ATL before we take the last leg home on DL.

So I've recently learned that the chances of our checked bags making it to Atlanta with us from Rome are of essentially amoebic proportions. And the carryon allowance on the AZ flight will be roughly equivalent to a 100g tin of amoretti between the six of us. And we have to make it through an overnight (incl. 2 small kids) in Atlanta with whatever miraculously appears on the baggage conveyor when we arrive.

But would it be possible to check our bags just from FCO to CDG, pick them up there (since we'll just have enough time) and re-check them for the CDG-ATL flight? I know Air France has some stringent carryon limits, too, but aren't they at least a bit higher for transtatlantic flights? And on top of that, all six tickets are in Y for the FCO-CDG leg, but one ticket CDG-ATL is in business, so I think that earns me some carryon leeway, too, doesn't it?

But even if we couldn't carry-on more in Paris, would this tactic at least improve our odds that the checked bags would arrive with us in Atlanta? Or, failing that, would the 3-hour layover at CDG improve our odds because there's more time to get the bags on the right plane, or would it decrease the odds because there are so many other wrong planes they could be sent to in that time?

I'm Gold Medallion on Delta, as if that makes any difference, but if it does, please let me know how I can use it to improve our chances.

Nevertheless, I'm maintaining a positive attitude. At least the flights over are all on DL metal, and if we're going to have problems, I'm grateful to think they're more likely on the return than outbound.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Yes, you are correct. It is much easier to deal with "delayed" baggage when you are headed home than on the outbound of an intl. intinerary. It's a shame we have to even think like this - trying to minimize the disruptions.

Are the FCO-CDG and CDG-ATL legs on the same PNR? Is so, IIRC, you should be given the baggage allowance for the transatlantic flight on all legs. I have flown LHR-CDG and CDG-ATL on the same PNR and been given the transatlantic baggage allowance at LHR.

While you can retrieve your bags at CDG and recheck them to ATL, that means getting back into the line at the counter at CDG. Those can be quite short or quite lengthy depending on the exact moment that you arrive. It will assure you that your bags made it as far as CDG but it will in no way guarantee that they will get loaded on the flight to ATL. Somehow find a way to carry on what you need for the night in ATL.

As for other strategies to minimize the possibility of your baggage disappearing at CDG, I don't know of any. Long layover or short, the handlers at CDG don't seem to care - all bags represent an opportunity to sc**w up your day. But there are only so many baggage handlers in each shift. There is a limit to the damage that they can do.

Just be prepared for the worst, and when it doesn't happen, you will feel fortunate.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
I am no expert on this, but I thought the worst problems occurred on connections through CDG continuing on to other European destinations; in other words, going from the US to CDG, and then connecting elsewhere. I thought they had to match the luggage with pax for over the pond flights, but maybe that isn't right. We won't connect through CDG but a couple of years ago my wife missed a tight connection through AMS (from ARN). They routed her to CDG where they took her by cart from the one flight to the one coming back to ATL. She made it by just a few minutes and thought for sure her checked bags wouldn't, but when she got back here (ATL), lo an behold, there they were. Good luck.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:08 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
If one has a 3-4 hour connection, would it improve baggage odds to have the bags only checked to CDG, then once in CDG, carry the bags to the proper terminal and re-check them with AF? For example, if I am flying ATL-CDG-GVA, in ATL could I have the GA check my bags to CDG, then once in CDG claim my bags, walk to the new terminal and re-check my bags to GVA? I would basically be doing all of AFs work for them, but if it would improve my baggage chances, then I think it would be worth the extra effort.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:18 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I have flown through CDG dozens of times over the years. Only once was my luggage delayed while connecting to VCE. The luggage was on a later flight that day and delivered to my hotel that evening. On the return I have never experienced a loss or a delay. The worst baggage experience was flying VCE/ZRH/TPE on SR. Somehow, our baggage wound up in FRA. We didn't see it for 3 days
Old Jun 29, 2006, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by TTT
If one has a 3-4 hour connection, would it improve baggage odds to have the bags only checked to CDG, then once in CDG, carry the bags to the proper terminal and re-check them with AF? For example, if I am flying ATL-CDG-GVA, in ATL could I have the GA check my bags to CDG, then once in CDG claim my bags, walk to the new terminal and re-check my bags to GVA? I would basically be doing all of AFs work for them, but if it would improve my baggage chances, then I think it would be worth the extra effort.
This is essentially the question I asked, only you're transiting from the U.S. into Europe, whereas I'm transiting from Europe to the U.S. From what I can gather from the comments so far, I'm not sure there's much reason to expect such a tactic to help very much.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by atl runner
...I thought they had to match the luggage with pax for over the pond flights, ...
Interesting point. Certainly they do match passengers with baggage outbound U.S. to international destinations. So maybe this policy will be good "insurance." But if I were on the plane and my checked bags were not, there's no security risk to leaving without the bags, right? The security risk would conceivably be on the flight that returned my lost bags to me. But then it's not I, but the airline, and hence "random chance" that has control over which flight carries the bags, and my understanding is that airlines consider it sufficient security if a pax cannot select a specific flight for his/her checked luggage other than his/her own.

Anyone know more about the passenger/bags-matching angle to this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.