Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by wco81
57.5 on UA or 115k round trip.

That 172k round trip for a DL TATL redemption is about 50% higher.

Anyways, I'm the wrong person to ask about DL miles since I don't accumulate DL miles any more. I've taken advantage of some Amex bonuses in the past few years and that's about it.

My sister has gotten some decent transcon redemptions in Y so not too bad for that.
DL Y fares are a decent redemption if you want to sit in Y. I know someone who redeemed JFK-ZRH in Y for 26,000 miles (multiple tickets) which definitely could be a good value if you're OK with Y. Otherwise, this is probably one of the better DL redemptions unfortunately. As a point of comparison, BA is 50k Avios and close to $600 in fees one way and VS is 47,500 with similar fees vs. the $5.60 in fees you'd pay by redeeming DL.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
57.5 on UA or 115k round trip.
That price is outdated. MarkP24 correctly cited United and partner prices from today's United award chart.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by MarkP24
DL Y fares are a decent redemption if you want to sit in Y. I know someone who redeemed JFK-ZRH in Y for 26,000 miles (multiple tickets) which definitely could be a good value if you're OK with Y. Otherwise, this is probably one of the better DL redemptions unfortunately. As a point of comparison, BA is 50k Avios and close to $600 in fees one way and VS is 47,500 with similar fees vs. the $5.60 in fees you'd pay by redeeming DL.
I wouldn't redeem miles for a Y award on an intercontinental route.

FWIW, I redeemed 160k on UA for a J award to New Zealand in January.

Very rare award and probably happened to search at the right time.

That's what makes that 86k J award from JFK to LHR look absurd.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I wouldn't redeem miles for a Y award on an intercontinental route.

FWIW, I redeemed 160k on UA for a J award to New Zealand in January.

Very rare award and probably happened to search at the right time.

That's what makes that 86k J award from JFK to LHR look absurd.
I also don't redeem for Y. However some people find value in it and DL SkyMiles are unfortunately hard to get significant value out of. Comparing them to UA miles is like comparing apples and oranges. Unfortunately they're not the same
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:53 am

I booked 3 tickets from Atlanta to Shanghai (direct flight going to Asia) for 40,000 sky miles for economy. I also booked for 34,000 sky miles a round trip from LAX to Shanghai. Probably the best deal I've gotten considering I paid $40 in taxes each ticket, and it was normally a $1200 flight.

Last edited by edh101985; Nov 8, 2018 at 8:00 am
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Tcw8858
planning trip to vietnam in Apr any ideas best way to go with miles leaving east coast???
Also look at China Airlines. I've had to check availability segment-by-segment then call in.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Didn't know my award flight would cause so much discussion!

UA miles at a per mile basis have way better redemption rates and availability on my primary use of miles: international biz/first (mostly NYC to Europe & Asia). Which is why UR miles are so valuable to me from a pure credit card spending model, and I highly value the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Freedom Unlimited (along with multiple UA explorer bonuses). I've been able to certainly get way cheaper redemptions when compared to DL.

However, there's probably a lot of people like me with excess skymiles. I made DL my primary work airline (which often involves lots of last minute travel at high rates.. once had a 1200 dollar LGA to ATL fare booked on 12 hours notice... lots of skymiles earned for a short flight...) not for the award redemptions, but because I love the domestic product, plenty of non stops to my primary business destinations, IRROP handling and I have a high upgrade rate from NYC. Plus, I've had every variation of the DL personal/biz cards (which collectively has earned ~200k skymiles) and just last week I got an offer for 50k bonus with no lifetime language, which will add to my excess balance.

So what am I'm saying is, at this point, any Delta redemption thats only a fraction of my balance that leads to an international biz ticket.. I'm happy! And I've never flown Virgin Atlantic upper class either, so I'm excited to experience all of that. Beats flying in Y.

And despite it being "hard" to spend DL skymiles on international biz, I've over the past few years have done SIN-NRT for 55k miles in D1 (2018), SIN to NYC for 80k in J on China Southern (2017), 99k RT D1 EWR to AMS flash sale (2016), 88k RT D1 EWR to AMS flash sale (2015).. all of which I've been "fine with". But my list of better and less expensive redemptions on UA is way longer.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:44 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by uppereastsider

UA miles at a per mile basis have way better redemption rates and availability on my primary use of miles: international biz/first (mostly NYC to Europe & Asia). Which is why UR miles are so valuable to me from a pure credit card spending model, and I highly value the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Freedom Unlimited (along with multiple UA explorer bonuses). I've been able to certainly get way cheaper redemptions when compared to DL.

However, there's probably a lot of people like me with excess skymiles. I made DL my primary work airline (which often involves lots of last minute travel at high rates.. once had a 1200 dollar LGA to ATL fare booked on 12 hours notice... lots of skymiles earned for a short flight...) not for the award redemptions, but because I love the domestic product, plenty of non stops to my primary business destinations, IRROP handling and I have a high upgrade rate from NYC. Plus, I've had every variation of the DL personal/biz cards (which collectively has earned ~200k skymiles) and just last week I got an offer for 50k bonus with no lifetime language, which will add to my excess balance.

So what am I'm saying is, at this point, any Delta redemption thats only a fraction of my balance that leads to an international biz ticket.. I'm happy! And I've never flown Virgin Atlantic upper class either, so I'm excited to experience all of that. Beats flying in Y.

And despite it being "hard" to spend DL skymiles on international biz, I've over the past few years have done SIN-NRT for 55k miles in D1 (2018), SIN to NYC for 80k in J on China Southern (2017), 99k RT D1 EWR to AMS flash sale (2016), 88k RT D1 EWR to AMS flash sale (2015).. all of which I've been "fine with". But my list of better and less expensive redemptions on UA is way longer.
I completely agree! Delta is a great airline to fly, but using Skymiles for a decent redemption is very difficult, and when you get a half decent redemption, you grab it!!
mattp1987 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by uppereastsider

I kind of think the same way. I'm 90% Delta, but also have AA and UA credit cards because 1) got the bonus points and 2) keeps my miles active.

Just got CSR to help w/ UA as well.

We are lucky that we don't have any Int'l flights where we have to be there - we can take advantage of good sales.

Also got the 98k to Europe D1 sale a year or two ago, that was awesome.

Although the flash sales for int'l haven't been great lately.

Have found a lot of good domestic redemptions lately though.

As has been said many times the egg/basket thing.

p.s. Disclaimer - work pays for 90% of flights. I'll be more of a free agent in 2-3 years when I think I want to retire. I am about 200k from lifetime gold (2MM). Wanna get there first
uppereastsider likes this.

Last edited by TommyD2; Nov 10, 2018 at 8:12 pm Reason: On 2nd bottle of wine
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
There's another 98k Europe D1 sale ongoing now, but I have yet to find anything at that price. Most I've found are 189k, but I did just find 149k to FRA.

Anyone have any luck yet?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: Skymiles (former DM), MileagePlus (Silver), Marriott Rewards/SPG Platinum (Lifetime Titanium)
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
There's another 98k Europe D1 sale ongoing now, but I have yet to find anything at that price. Most I've found are 189k, but I did just find 149k to FRA.

Anyone have any luck yet?
I've only been searching out of MKE but saw lots of availability to LHR starting with the second half of Jan through all of Feb. Since it is London though you have ~$300 in fees which I assume is the APD. Also seeing 98K from MKE to DUB, ZRH, MXP and AMS (incl on A350 through DTW) in the second half of Feb.
- Did not see anything below 189k to CDG, FCO, TXL, MUC, BCN, MAD
- The key seems to be choosing itineraries that will allow for all DL metal. (no connections in CDG/AMS)

Overall I think this is a pretty stellar deal that makes keeping a stash of SM handy for given the low fees. Hopefully this becomes an ongoing yearly deal. Winter months aren't the best time to go to Europe but the wife and I had a nice 5 day trip to BRU and AMS last year in Feb. It probably helps that it was colder at home than it was in Europe for us, may not be the same for folks coming from warmer climates
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by rabingham89
I've only been searching out of MKE but saw lots of availability to LHR starting with the second half of Jan through all of Feb. Since it is London though you have ~$300 in fees which I assume is the APD.
Business class UK APD alone is $201. The French tax de solidarite is $51, for those looking at Paris.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:17 am

Delta ONE Flash Sale success 11/14/18

I successfully booked 2 Roundtrip Delta One suites on the A350 IND-DTW-AMS today for April for 98K each. Very pleased with this. Used AMEX points transfer that I had been hoarding for awhile. $55 in fees each ticket.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
I completely agree that it is very hard to use skymiles for international business class - that's why I don't even try. I use my miles for domestic one ways for positioning - my last one was ORD - MSP on a return in CX first from HKG, for last minute emergencies - like when my sun breaks his arm in college and has to have surgery, and for trips when I might have to cancel - as a Platinum I can redeposit without charge. I have 6 ski trips on the books, one or two might have to be cancelled due to lack of snow and/or work interference. On these occasions I get around 2c/skymile, which, as they say, is "good enough for government work".
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Any idea on how to search and price Kenya availability? I was looking at flying them CPT-LVI but LVI doesn't even populate on DL's website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.