FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Award Ticket Success - Post It Here (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/483860-award-ticket-success-post-here.html)

VladQ Jul 15, 2013 2:50 am

Originally Posted by keirnna (Post 21097855)
This makes Delta miles the BEST way to get to and from anywhere in Siberia from North Asia. From your experience if I routed say OKA-TPE-NRT-VVO in J would that come out to 30, 45 or some combination of the two? Thanks!

No, not from anywhere in Northern Asia, only from/to Japan and Korea. xxx (Siberian city)-VVO/KHV-NRT/ICN would be 25,000 miles in Y and 30,000 miles in J. Perhaps adding extra legs from NRT/ICN to other Japanese/Korean cities is possible, but the moment the itinerary goes outside the region I am not sure what would happen (like in your case routing via TPE). I am not sure whether this is a legal layover for CI - it does not seem that China Airlines publishes a fare between OKA and NRT nor between OKA and VVO, so this would not be a legal routing and will break the fare into two awards and ask for another 25K in Y and 45K in J in addition to those 30K in J.

xxx-VVO/KHV-NRT/ICN-yyy (Southeast Asia) will be 70K in Y (compared to anywhere in North Asia to South Asia being 45K in Y). This is because the fare will break into two award tickets once you leave the Korea/Japan/Russian Siberia region.

beachfan Jul 15, 2013 10:22 am

LAX-FCO (open jaw) VCE-CDG-LAX for two in business, all nonstops.

200k miles plus $368. Could have saved $90-$100 by doing it in the reverse direction but wanted the nice AZ seats for the red-eye and leave the AF A380 for the daytime flight.

Couldn't ticket it on line. After 100 minutes on hold the first time and 40 minutes on hold the second time when I asked them why I couldn't ticket it, the threat of a third eternity on hold while they switched me to Internet support made my resolve to save the $50 on hold.

Even at $368 (instead of $238), I was happy, managed to roll the hold on the outbound until the return came into the booking horizon. Otherwise, another $300 for this no-status on Delta person.

kitkat77 Jul 15, 2013 10:24 am

Two unexciting 25K low domestic award tickets:
RDU-MCO (4 days in MCO)
MCO-LAX (6 days in LAX)
LAX-RDU

MCO-LAX-BNA (Making it BNA-MCO-LAX-BNA jumped it to 60K miles, so I used some leftover WN points for the BNA-MCO leg).

Oh, and did an RDU-ATL-LIM-ATL-RDU for 57,500 and $73 in taxes/fees.

All economy.

Bikeguy Jul 15, 2013 10:40 am

Originally Posted by satz (Post 21096782)
Just booked:
ATL-NRT DL (stopover)
NRT-ICN KE
ICN-SIN KE(open jaw)
PVG-ATL DL

ATL-DTW DL
DTW-NRT DL (stopover)
NRT-ICN KE
ICN-SIN KE (open jaw)
PVG-DTW DL
DTW-ATL DL

for 2 people in J around May 2014, 120k each and about $120 in taxes. I quickly realized that it was nearly impossible to book the same flights for 2 people at the low level so I decided to book separate flights and try to make them arrive around the same time. I'm hoping for some schedule change so I can avoid the unnecessary connections. I am soo relieved that I burned all my SM balance even though I had to transfer about 45k MR pts to my DL account.

The KE flights would show up once every 4 times in the Delta award search. It was just driving me nuts.

Nice.

These would price out at roughly 2,400,000 miles after the award ticket revenue model gets implemented.

Purely speculation on my part, but I predict Delta will be the first major with the model and it to happen within the next 2 years.

wco81 Jul 15, 2013 11:38 am

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 21100002)
LAX-FCO (open jaw) VCE-CDG-LAX for two in business, all nonstops.

200k miles plus $368. Could have saved $90-$100 by doing it in the reverse direction but wanted the nice AZ seats for the red-eye and leave the AF A380 for the daytime flight.

Couldn't ticket it on line. After 100 minutes on hold the first time and 40 minutes on hold the second time when I asked them why I couldn't ticket it, the threat of a third eternity on hold while they switched me to Internet support made my resolve to save the $50 on hold.

Even at $368 (instead of $238), I was happy, managed to roll the hold on the outbound until the return came into the booking horizon. Otherwise, another $300 for this no-status on Delta person.

When?

I booked for next May/June but the only the LAX-FCO leg had business awards available, nothing on the outbound.

MSPeconomist Jul 15, 2013 11:56 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 21093409)
Booked two BE TATL RTs today, all in low and on the dates I wanted:

For late July: MSP-DTW-FRA-(AF)-CDG with flat beds, returning CDG-(AF)-AMS-MSP on the late day A330 with an overnight in Amsterdam after a late afternoon flight exCDG

For August: MSP-DTW-FRA with flat beds, returning FRA-ATL-MSP with flat beds

To save 225,000 miles, I'll do a hub-hub connection in FC with a bit of lounge time.

ADDED. The first ticket required calling DL as initially I had found low inventory outbound using the KLM ORD-AMS flight but this couldn't be booked. During the phone call, I discovered that DTW-FRA had low BE space on the date I wanted.

In watching availability of low award space for my destinations (to see whether I can improve my tickets), overnight the low DM coach inventory on every MSP-DTW flight for my travel date suddenly all switched to medium or high for no apparent reason.

For the later trip, when I look at EF I'm amazed that a snared a low BE seat on one of the TATL flights: It's J9 C9 D9 I0 Z0 Y9 B0 M0......which looks to me like it's oversold in coach but DL will be willing to OPUP people for more full Y fares, since BE looks only about half full on the cheating charts. Other TATL flights that same day from FRA have 9's across the board according to EF and some I seats available, but no low BE award seats. It looks irrational to me.

Further good news is that my AF seat assignments seem to be sticking according to the AF website even though DL did them by phone when I booked the award ticket. I was also able to easily find my itinerary on airfrance.us using the AF PNR that the DL agent gave me.

michael_v Jul 15, 2013 12:16 pm

You can also lookup your reservation on AF.us using your DL PNR and choose AF seats there.

MSPeconomist Jul 15, 2013 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v (Post 21100692)
You can also lookup your reservation on AF.us using your DL PNR and choose AF seats there.

That's what I did later. My DM agent offered to do my seats and I let her do so, but didn't expect the seats to stick. Also I wanted to look at the seat maps myself to check what was available.

babe11 Jul 16, 2013 5:26 pm

This past weekend I was able to grab 2 low Biz seats w/flat beds RT from TPA to FCO for March 2014 total of 200,000 skymiles and $66 each for fees/taxes.

Basically, I'm always looking for low Business Class to Europe. When I find a couple with this much time ahead, I say, "Honey, we're going to Italy in March". LOL!

Can't wait!

Travel safe! :cool:

bdschobel Jul 16, 2013 6:01 pm

Snagged FLL-VCE and back, business class, April 2014, for 100,000 miles plus $52.70. Never been to Venice before. Should be comfortable by April, but not crowded yet.

Bruce

beachfan Jul 16, 2013 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 21100457)
When?

I booked for next May/June but the only the LAX-FCO leg had business awards available, nothing on the outbound.

Lax-fco is the outbound, at least for me.

May 26 to June 10 for my trip ( returning from cdg)

wco81 Jul 17, 2013 10:11 am

Hmm, my outbound is 5/24. Oh well.

Pharaoh Jul 20, 2013 10:41 am

Very happy yesterday. Got LOW J seats for MCO-BKK-DAB in May/June 2014.

Finally did not get 100% perfect flights but had to shift everything by only one day ... and return to DAB as a worthy alternate. Both effectively negligible changes from perfection!

benzemalyonnais Jul 20, 2013 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Pharaoh (Post 21129827)
Very happy yesterday. Got LOW J seats for MCO-BKK-DAB in May/June 2014.

Finally did not get 100% perfect flights but had to shift everything by only one day ... and return to DAB as a worthy alternate. Both effectively negligible changes from perfection!

Nice! What was the routing?

thepointskid Jul 20, 2013 11:57 am

This past December I was able to book for my family:

4 tickets all in J for 480k SkyMiles (120k/ticket)

Late June -- EWR - CDG (flat bed)
Early July -- CDG - TLV (AF)
Mid July -- TLV - JFK (flat bed)