FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Mess at JFK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2105188-mess-jfk.html)

HWGeeks Dec 23, 2022 10:02 pm

Mess at JFK

Have been sitting on the taxi way for over an hour now dl1863.

captain told us that the jet bridges are frozen in place and most gates are too slippery to enter and ground crews are having a hard time moving anyone into the gates.

tons of plans just playing musical chairs right now

guv1976 Dec 23, 2022 10:21 pm

Currently +9 °F at JFK.

LexPassenger Dec 23, 2022 11:57 pm

Thread title that could probably be used about 100 days a year...

GUWonder Dec 24, 2022 12:27 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 34860075)
Currently +9 °F at JFK.

They should have asked MSP for advice on how to operate. Currently it’s -4 °F at MSP with a nice windchill factor to expedite the frostbite for frostbite seekers. And yet even Suncountry ground crew — more resource poor than Delta — at MSP seemed to be able to bring in the landed flights for passenger deplaning.

JFK just can’t seem to get its act together with winter. Must be taking lessons from ORD. :eek:

HWGeeks Dec 24, 2022 1:14 am

Currently +9 °F at JFK.

I’ve been in colder temps and never heard of the jet bridges freezing in place.

but anywho after 2 and a half hours waiting we finally got off the plane and before we even got to the gate I had this email from delta
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...cde23dc919.png

ND76 Dec 24, 2022 3:36 am

Flightaware reported that this flight landed at JFK at 2250, but did not park at the gate until 0118, a 2 hour 28 minute taxi (and park).

xliioper Dec 24, 2022 5:57 am

Originally Posted by HWGeeks (Post 34860298)

Most likely, some of the bridges had their wheels were sitting in water before the temps dropped and froze them in place. It doesn't necessarily have to be due to a single factor.

DLASflyer Dec 24, 2022 6:42 am

There was a DAL only JFK ground stop for awhile yesterday.

Lomapaseo Dec 24, 2022 6:48 am

Currently +9 °F at JFK.

wow that's a lot of first class upgrades

I suppose that C is oversold

ryw Dec 24, 2022 9:24 am

With that long of a wait on the ground, I’ve always wondered if folks are allowed to get up and use the lav? Or use tray tables and recline seats, or use the pull out TVs in the bulkhead/exit rows? Or using laptops?

I’ve experienced being delayed for about 30 minutes on the ground upon arrival, and the whole time the flight crew was basically saying “stay in your seats with your seatbelts on, we might move at any minute.” But I feel like if the wait is long enough at some point that has to give

LDNConsultant Dec 24, 2022 9:44 am

Originally Posted by LexPassenger (Post 34860213)
Thread title that could probably be used about 100 days a year...

You are quite optimistic - I'm giving it +165

SteveinA2 Dec 24, 2022 9:46 am

Not sure that it is wise to post your full name on Flyertalk. Especially, as now, depending on your posts, folks will know when you are not home

beachmouse Dec 24, 2022 11:13 am

Originally Posted by ryw (Post 34860912)
With that long of a wait on the ground, I’ve always wondered if folks are allowed to get up and use the lav? Or use tray tables and recline seats, or use the pull out TVs in the bulkhead/exit rows? Or using laptops?

My experience was yes to everything except the pull out TVs, though you are not allowed to form a line for a lav near the cockpit door. FAA/DOT tarmac delay rules actually say that lav access, water, and I think snacks (if catered for the plane) must be provided once the tarmac delay hits the one hour mark.

SDQBound Dec 24, 2022 11:54 am

Lucky you…. My ATL-SDQ departed 3 hours delayed (it was 2 hours delayed since the day before) due to crew rest + technical issue at ATL. No compensation on sight

Originally Posted by HWGeeks (Post 34860298)

but anywho after 2 and a half hours waiting we finally got off the plane and before we even got to the gate I had this email from delta
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...cde23dc919.png

shoodawg Dec 24, 2022 2:15 pm

We were asked to board last night, then proceeded to wait about 2.5 hours beyond departure time for the bags to finally be loaded. Definitely happy to have gotten out of dodge for Christmas with the family. Our Plan B flight 12/24 at 7am was canceled in the interim.