FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta's Easter 2021 Meltdown - 82 flights cancelled 4/4/2021 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2037204-deltas-easter-2021-meltdown-82-flights-cancelled-4-4-2021-a.html)

DLASflyer Apr 4, 2021 10:01 am

"We are expecting high call volume this weekend"
-Delta

RobertS975 Apr 4, 2021 10:21 am

Originally Posted by jeet (Post 33150767)
This is what happens when you treat pandemic as a 5 year impact thing with gradual recovery over 2 yr period - shortage of pilots across all plane types as well as experienced resources to do the scheduling.

With blocked middle seats gone hopefully situation will be slightly better when memorial day weekend rolls around but sadly this will repeat again.
Once is misfortune, twice is embarrassment, thrice is incompetence but hey blocked seats look pretty and new food offerings are coming!

I agree with some of this... when demand eventually comes back with a vengeance later this year, as early as this summer, DL will wish it still had the 777s and other aircraft it so rapidly retired. It will wish it had the experienced pilots that were encouraged to retire early.

btonkid12345 Apr 4, 2021 10:35 am

Originally Posted by DLASflyer (Post 33150926)
"We are expecting high call volume this weekend"
-Delta

The messaging was hilarious. I initiated a conversation at 10 p.m. last night. It kept checking in every 90 minutes to see if I still needed assistance...

Finally, at 4:30 a.m., it said that the messaging desk was closed for the night and asked if I still needed assistance. When I replied yes, it stated that the messaging desk will reopen at 6 a.m. and that I will be placed in that queue. Someone finally started replying to me around 7 a.m., and they were unhelpful and told me to call in. UGH.

P.S. Does the messaging prioritize Medallions like the phone lines supposedly do?

ethernal Apr 4, 2021 11:00 am

Originally Posted by RobertS975 (Post 33150984)
I agree with some of this... when demand eventually comes back with a vengeance later this year, as early as this summer, DL will wish it still had the 777s and other aircraft it so rapidly retired. It will wish it had the experienced pilots that were encouraged to retire early.

Aircraft aren't the issue here (other than the cascading retrainings retirements created). The only real capacity Delta is missing right now are the MD-90s - they were supposed to fly this summer and they're not. The 737-700s too, but that was such a tiny subfleet to be pretty irrelevant. Even if Delta kept the metal, the 777 fleet wouldn't be flying right now because they don't make sense to fly on domestic routes - and international long haul is still in life support mode for obvious reasons. . All the other fleet retirement "announcements" are paper only and can be changed if conditions warrant: no material number of 767s or 717s have actually been removed from the fleet.

The issue is the pilots. They need more people with the right certifications to fly the metal.

CoMooter Apr 4, 2021 11:00 am

I am so glad I started the migration over to AF for ST needs 4 years ago - even more so over the last two weeks. Also glad I already got rid of that DL Amex Reserve card 2 years ago...

ChurnieEls Apr 4, 2021 11:07 am

I imagine you'll see a ton of free agents this time next year unless they blanket extend again (notwithstanding their recent concessions).

Why, as a leisure traveler, you'd continue to subject yourself to the likes of this weekend would be beyond me - and even most elites are gonna need to hit leisure travel relatively hard in H2 to requalify under the new thresholds.

WannabePBA Apr 4, 2021 12:19 pm

Just boarded a flight from LAS to LAX. Every seat in FC is full. Traveling by myself. Sitting next to someone.

Meanwhile, in the rear of the aircraft, it looks as if passengers are still sitting solo for the most part. Most C+ seats have empty seats next to passengers and hard to tell in the back half but at least most of the front half of coach is similar.

Checked the flight status of the rest of the flights from LAS to to LAX for all day today and tomorrow, none show as cancelled (but will check again at EOD). Flights operated by the connection carrier, and not main-line Delta so I would assume they don’t have the same pilot situation but maybe I’m wrong there.

99% of my interactions with Delta the last 14 years have been positive. Only had one major issue over the years (maybe I’m lucky that way). While I disagree with some of the other comments above, I do agree that one of the reasons I traveled this weekend and purchased FC was the expectation I would not be sitting next to someone...so much for that. Interesting to see how my second leg will be today out of LAX (also non main-line).

unitedbusiness Apr 4, 2021 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo (Post 33150672)
I've had bad experiences on Delta 2x-3x more often than any other airline I've ever flown.

They have time, effort, and money to spare to try and tell me how to live my life and how to vote but no ability to manage and run the business to PROVIDE THE SERVICE I AM PAYING FOR. Add in the terrible FF program and they are at the end of my preferred airline list right next to Southwest.

youre absolutely right... bad experiences are more likely on Delta, now and in the future . It’s why I’ve chosen United, even as a DM and DL 2MM!

MCO Flyer Apr 4, 2021 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by WannabePBA (Post 33151293)
Just boarded a flight from LAS to LAX. Every seat in FC is full. Traveling by myself. Sitting next to someone.

Meanwhile, in the rear of the aircraft, it looks as if passengers are still sitting solo for the most part. Most C+ seats have empty seats next to passengers and hard to tell in the back half but at least most of the front half of coach is similar.

Checked the flight status of the rest of the flights from LAS to to LAX for all day today and tomorrow, none show as cancelled (but will check again at EOD). Flights operated by the connection carrier, and not main-line Delta so I would assume they don’t have the same pilot situation but maybe I’m wrong there.

99% of my interactions with Delta the last 14 years have been positive. Only had one major issue over the years (maybe I’m lucky that way). While I disagree with some of the other comments above, I do agree that one of the reasons I traveled this weekend and purchased FC was the expectation I would not be sitting next to someone...so much for that. Interesting to see how my second leg will be today out of LAX (also non main-line).

I’d assume F is gong out full due to the GAs clearing more UGs at the gate to free up more room back in Y. While I’m not excusing DL for suddenly changing their written policy at the last min with no warning, to act like your “safer” back in C+ with middle seats blocked vs having a seat mate in F is nonsense. FC going out full in a 2-2 configuration has the same cabin density as C+ and Y with middle seats blocked. The seat blocking gimmick by DL has been safety theatre this entire time.

LoungeLizardHugo Apr 4, 2021 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness (Post 33151297)
youre absolutely right... bad experiences are more likely on Delta, now and in the future . It’s why I’ve chosen United, even as a DM and DL 2MM!

Not only has UA treated me well (as 1k), not canceled a single one of my flights (Delta=2), not been late (Delta=2), the UA FF program is LIGHT YEARS more awesome than DL. I'm heading to Turkey next week on TK, all F+J (TK's new 789) all the way to BJV, including positioning flights (3 legs total) for 154k UA miles +$50 r/t.

Plus UA connection choices are so much better for me on the west coast. Canceled all my Delta CC's months ago (2 per/2 biz). So sick of the GD business politics, get me to my destination, offer me a decent lounge (as a high-spending flyer) and GTFO of my politics and personal choices!

p100a Apr 4, 2021 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 33151330)
The seat blocking gimmick by DL has been safety theatre this entire time.

Grand pooba Ed himself was quoted saying something to the effect "we know it's safe to sit in middle seats."

DLASflyer Apr 4, 2021 1:32 pm

Statement out:

“Delta teams have been working through various factors, including staffing, large numbers of employee vaccinations and pilots returning to active status. We apologize to our customers for the inconvenience and the majority have been rebooked for the same travel day.”

DLASflyer Apr 4, 2021 1:49 pm

Up to 75 cancellations now. Still a far cry from the 500+ over Thanksgiving and 350+ over Christmas. Let’s hope things keep improving as more displaced pilots get trained up. They need all the pilots they have for the summer.

On the plus side today is the first I’ve seen Delta.com show a cancellation reason. United has been doing this for years and I find it helpful.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...78d062626.jpeg

p100a Apr 4, 2021 2:00 pm

They have already started to the butcher summer European schedule.

ethernal Apr 4, 2021 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by p100a (Post 33151508)
They have already started to the butcher summer European schedule.

Which only makes sense. Any optimism for an early summer resurgence in TATL has died with the UK variant running wild across Europe and a painfully slow vaccine rollout in the EU. The EU is about 45-60 days behind the US on the vaccine rollout. If the US "all clear" happens sometime in May, that means July for Europe.

The US literally dodged a bullet of a major fourth wave due to B.1.1.7 by about a month in term of its vaccine rollout. The fact that cases are rising (slowly) in the US despite 100 million additional folks with antibodies is frightening and shows you how bad things could be without the vaccine.

The good news for Delta is that they can repurpose some of that metal for the domestic demand and hopefully prevent this staffing snafus. Probably an abnormally large number of summer domestic widebody opportunities this year.