FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta Quarantine Free admittance into Europe (Rome/Amsterdam) Consolidated Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2029222-delta-quarantine-free-admittance-into-europe-rome-amsterdam-consolidated-thread.html)

Global Adventurer Nov 26, 2020 11:45 am

Delta Quarantine Free admittance into Europe (Rome/Amsterdam) Consolidated Thread

https://news.delta.com/delta-launch-...ting-protocols

Hope this starts by spring 2021. I already have a hotel booked in Venice. Fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞

"Delta Air Lines, the Aeroporti di Roma and Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport have joined in a first-of-its-kind trans-Atlantic COVID-19 testing program that will enable quarantine-free entry into Italy, in accordance with a decree expected to be issued soon by the government of Italy."

TrojanTraveler Nov 26, 2020 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer (Post 32845961)
https://news.delta.com/delta-launch-...ting-protocols

Hope this starts by spring 2021. I already have a hotel booked in Venice. Fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞

"Delta Air Lines, the Aeroporti di Roma and Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport have joined in a first-of-its-kind trans-Atlantic COVID-19 testing program that will enable quarantine-free entry into Italy, in accordance with a decree expected to be issued soon by the government of Italy."

Unless you are an EU citizen or fall into one of the allowed categories, Italy would still need to drop its entrance requirements by then. Which hopefully will happen sooner than later.

socalflying Nov 26, 2020 11:58 am

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler (Post 32845986)
Unless you are an EU citizen or fall into one of the allowed categories, Italy would still need to drop its entrance requirements by then. Which hopefully will happen sooner than later.

Yes, as a US citizen you still must be travelling for an essential reason...but, it is a positive step.

https://www.ft.com/content/4b590ce0-...b-63dc855f297f

stimpy Nov 26, 2020 12:47 pm

I don't get how this is a "first of its kind" thing? Hasn't Air France been doing this throughout the pandemic? I never have to quarantine when I fly from the US to France.

nerdbirdsjc Nov 26, 2020 10:51 pm

It's a smoke and mirrors move, tbh. Routine business and leisure travel will not be considered safe (and worthwhile) enough to return to normal-ish traffic levels until vaccines are in wide circulation.

emrdoc Nov 27, 2020 5:47 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 32846111)
I don't get how this is a "first of its kind" thing? Hasn't Air France been doing this throughout the pandemic? I never have to quarantine when I fly from the US to France.

Same...I too am a bit confused.

Often1 Nov 27, 2020 8:33 am

It may be be first for this carrier and this route, but there are numerous other examples whereby a negative pre-flight test eliminates or reduces a quarantine requirement (or indeed permits entry). But, this should not be confused with admissibility. Hopefully the Italian & US governments will reach an "air corridor" agreement which permits both admission and quarantine waiver for those presenting a negative test. Even more hopefully this will become the norm. Even more, more hopefully, acceptable protocols can be worked out so that every jurisdiction does not impose its own oddities to what is a valid test.

As it stands and whether required or not, it is sensible for any passenger to obtain a negative result prior to significant travel. Putting aside all of the general considerations and looking at this as a purely selfish matter, becoming ill, isolated and possibly hosptialized far from home is the only thing worse than become ill, isolated and possible hospitalized anywhere.

Global Adventurer Nov 27, 2020 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32847448)
​​Hopefully the Italian & US governments will reach an "air corridor" agreement which permits both admission and quarantine waiver for those presenting a negative test. Even more hopefully this will become the norm.

That's exactly what I think the new agreement will mean. But, we'll find out soon enough.

cmd320 Nov 27, 2020 10:56 am

Meh, let me know when there's no restrictions on who can enter and it may be interesting. Otherwise this is pretty much useless for the vast majority of people.

MCO Flyer Nov 27, 2020 11:17 am

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc (Post 32846898)
It's a smoke and mirrors move, tbh. Routine business and leisure travel will not be considered safe (and worthwhile) enough to return to normal-ish traffic levels until vaccines are in wide circulation.

Good news is a vaccine should be widely available here in the U.S. by next Spring.

stimpy Nov 27, 2020 11:22 am

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 32847742)
Good news is a vaccine should be widely available here in the U.S. by next Spring.

The EU is programmed to have a mass rollout of 2nd generation vaccines in the springtime too.

TrojanTraveler Nov 27, 2020 12:09 pm

Given the unreliability of current tests, maybe this will turn into “medical theater”, similar to how some here consider the TSA to be “security theater”.

Regardless, can’t wait until I can freely travel again. This is probably the longest period in about 30 years that I have not set foot in CDG. And yeah, I miss it

Often1 Nov 27, 2020 12:11 pm

Unreliability?

Those rapid tests in the US err on the side of false positive, not negative. While that may be disappointing for some, it is hardly dangerous.

TrojanTraveler Nov 27, 2020 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32847840)
Unreliability?

Those rapid tests in the US err on the side of false positive, not negative. While that may be disappointing for some, it is hardly dangerous.

Depends on the test being used. I know quite a number of people who got sick, tested negative several times before testing positive. I do not know the details of the type of test, manufacturer, etc.

Robert Leach Nov 27, 2020 6:28 pm

The tests all have their flaws. It is what it is. I am not sure you can test your way to absolute "safety" with this, but vaccination should provide the impetus to open things up. And with all the companies involved, I think a substantial number will have had it before spring.

Pfizer alone is on target to have 50 million doses (enough for 25 million people) by the end of the year.

My question is whether anyone, anywhere has come up with a plan to document the vaccination status in the passport profile, to prevent having to produce some sort of piece of paper that might easily vary from country to country.