FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Consolidated Closed Threads: DL Related COVID Mask Discussions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2023671-consolidated-closed-threads-dl-related-covid-mask-discussions.html)

ahmetdouas Jul 19, 2020 1:59 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 32542121)
I am tested regularly at my office. None of us have ever been positive. To me wearing a mask implies that you think you might be infected with the virus. In that case you shouldn't be flying but quarantining yourself. A temperature check at check-in would be sufficient and would give far more insight than a piecee of flimsy fabric over the face.

But you've summed it up very well. These companies and municipalities are playing with fire and are bound to get burned. And Delta really can't afford that right now.

Delta is generally ridiculous with the keeping the middle seat empty rule as well, so I am not surprised they are overboard with the masks.

Loose Cannon Jul 19, 2020 2:23 am

I wonder of that clearance will be "one and done" so the passenger is cleared for that flight and future flights with DL or if the passenger will be subject to the same clearance process over and over each time flying DL?

ahmetdouas Jul 19, 2020 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222 (Post 32542299)
An attorney that refers to any of these rules as "unconstitutional," or who takes a case thinking about a five-figure fee, is not a very good one. Yes I'm one of the much better attorneys.

Forget unconstitutional. How about disability discrimination? The process Delta is using is humiliating. Some people find it uncomfortable to wear masks, in the UK you do not need a doctor's note, your medical record is your business. I'm fine with showing a copy of a prescription of an inhaler or a doctors note showing your condition, but an interview with their doctor each time you fly? That's too much.

Whats even funnier is you can legitimately not wear a mask for most of the flight if you are eating and drinking! So strict on one side, but so many loopholes on the other.

Thank god in europe things are much easier with masks.

Even funnier, in the US there is no federal legislation on forced mask wearing, so every company/state is just winging it and in many cases are abusing their power!

ahmetdouas Jul 19, 2020 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon (Post 32542300)
I wonder of that clearance will be "one and done" so the passenger is cleared for that flight and future flights with DL or if the passenger will be subject to the same clearance process over and over each time flying DL?

Yes exactly, maybe it should actually be done on the phone after booking, why wait until the airport to go through the 'selection process'.

BRITINJAPAN4 Jul 19, 2020 4:37 am

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 32541655)
I've already got a bunch of them. I actually found a few with vents in them earlier too. Much more pleasant.

Interesting,,,vents. I assume these are holes that let air and and out ! and are N95 ?

Magic !

Really, you actually believe this, is the work Mask on the packet spelt correctly ?

xliioper Jul 19, 2020 4:56 am

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4 (Post 32542460)
Interesting,,,vents. I assume these are holes that let air and and out ! and are N95 ?

Magic !

Really, you actually believe this, is the work Mask on the packet spelt correctly ?

I believe the vented ones all still filter incoming air and the vent only opens when you breathe out. So presumably it still offers you protection, but not so much for those around you to keep them getting it from you.

Global Adventurer Jul 19, 2020 5:45 am

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 32540726)
It strengthens one avenue to avoid wearing a mask, however all someone has to do is plop a bag of M&Ms on their tray table and claim they're eating.

Delta could designate a period of time, like one hour to eat and drink on short flights and every 3 hours on long haul. Personally, I haven't been eating or drinking anything while on board. I just take the snacks with me.

Agent69 Jul 19, 2020 6:09 am

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 32542477)
I believe the vented ones all still filter incoming air and the vent only opens when you breathe out. So presumably it still offers you protection, but not so much for those around you to keep them getting it from you.

Magic

During the pandemic a masks primary use is to stop the wearer from infecting others nearby.

AlanInDC Jul 19, 2020 7:32 am

Even though I have no status on SkyTeam, I will now consider Delta over United for my next flight (well, whenever that is),

Often1 Jul 19, 2020 7:58 am

An individual who cannot wear a mask may not be "fit to fly." Only a medical evaluation can determine that. No different than the many passengers on ULH flights who receive secondary medical screening (or provide extensive medical documentation) when they travel with something as simple as an arm or leg in a cast (swelling at FL 40 can be fatal).

The mistake in the tangent this thread has taken is that the presumption is that DL will deny boarding to an individual based on a disability. But, the truth, at least thus far, not even close to it.

Some here have unfortunately read the first paragraph, but forgot to read the rest of Sec. 382.19. That Section makes clear that even in the case of a direct threat, it may still be possible to transport a passenger. However, there are also provisions for dealing with individuals who do not pose a direct threat.

Bottom line is that there is a balancing test to be applied. By not wearing a mask, the individual is placing others at risk.

flyerCO Jul 19, 2020 8:05 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas (Post 32542301)
Forget unconstitutional. How about disability discrimination? The process Delta is using is humiliating. Some people find it uncomfortable to wear masks, in the UK you do not need a doctor's note, your medical record is your business. I'm fine with showing a copy of a prescription of an inhaler or a doctors note showing your condition, but an interview with their doctor each time you fly? That's too much.

Whats even funnier is you can legitimately not wear a mask for most of the flight if you are eating and drinking! So strict on one side, but so many loopholes on the other.

Thank god in europe things are much easier with masks.

Even funnier, in the US there is no federal legislation on forced mask wearing, so every company/state is just winging it and in many cases are abusing their power!

This. They're basically implementing a medical check, but not implementing it for all passengers. As I stated earlier, if they required this check of all passengers then it would be legit. I actually would support this as mask or not, you can be contagious without knowing. Also there's no reason for this process to take a hour. It's the process of only requiring it for those that claim disability exemption that makes it a violation.

lowfareair Jul 19, 2020 9:03 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 32542757)
This. They're basically implementing a medical check, but not implementing it for all passengers. As I stated earlier, if they required this check of all passengers then it would be legit. I actually would support this as mask or not, you can be contagious without knowing. Also there's no reason for this process to take a hour. It's the process of only requiring it for those that claim disability exemption that makes it a violation.

I doubt that. Even pre-COVID, if you show signs of being sick, the airline can require a fit to fly certificate from you without making every passenger get one (nor are they screening every passenger for that sickness). I would gather that telling an airline employee the equivalent of "I cannot wear a thin cloth mask on this plane as it is extremely detrimental to my health" would fall under the same restrictions where they would need to confirm that you are healthy enough to fly.

cmd320 Jul 19, 2020 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer (Post 32542529)
Delta could designate a period of time, like one hour to eat and drink on short flights and every 3 hours on long haul. Personally, I haven't been eating or drinking anything while on board. I just take the snacks with me.

Yeah, pretty sure they can't create a rule on when you can and cannot have some water. That would go viral in a hurry.

flyerCO Jul 19, 2020 9:48 am

Originally Posted by lowfareair (Post 32542879)
I doubt that. Even pre-COVID, if you show signs of being sick, the airline can require a fit to fly certificate from you without making every passenger get one (nor are they screening every passenger for that sickness). I would gather that telling an airline employee the equivalent of "I cannot wear a thin cloth mask on this plane as it is extremely detrimental to my health" would fall under the same restrictions where they would need to confirm that you are healthy enough to fly.

Correct if you showed signs. They still can do that.

They can't require a person showing no signs undergo a medical evaluation just because they request a policy exception due to disability.

flyerCO Jul 19, 2020 9:53 am

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 32542896)
Yeah, pretty sure they can't create a rule on when you can and cannot have some water. That would go viral in a hurry.

They could just as they can make policy requiring masks. However under US law they would be required to make exceptions for those with disabilities.