FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Consolidated Closed Threads: DL Related COVID Mask Discussions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2023671-consolidated-closed-threads-dl-related-covid-mask-discussions.html)

Often1 Jul 18, 2020 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 32541344)
Not if others are wearing an N95.

That is not what DL -- or any carrier -- requires, it is not what most people own, what the CDC recommends, and many cannot access those masks. Thus, the point stands: "Failing to wear a mask risks others."

cmd320 Jul 18, 2020 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32541406)
That is not what DL -- or any carrier -- requires, it is not what most people own, what the CDC recommends, and many cannot access those masks. Thus, the point stands: "Failing to wear a mask risks others."

Really? Browsing Amazon for about 30 seconds I’ve seen plenty of listings.

PurdueFlyer Jul 18, 2020 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32541406)

This.

True, for as irritating and uncomfortable as wearing a mask can be, I do wish that it provided me personal protection FOR MYSELF as a sort-of token of thanks for me having to endure it. But it doesn't, and such is life.
But my mask helps protect you, and your mask helps protect me. The Karens out there can't seem to wrap their heads around this.

(As an aside ... at the entrance of every convenience store / gas station / mini-mart located every square block of America, there's a little sign that says "No shirt, No shoes, No Service." Not once that I can recall has anyone complained that their rights are being violated because they have to put on shoes to go into a QuikTrip. But in the middle of a global pandemic that has killed more than 130K people in the US alone, all of a sudden its "my body my choice." I don't get it.)

ss278 Jul 18, 2020 3:43 pm

No Shoes - No Shirt - No Mask = NO FLY

If you are too medically fragile to wear a mask why are you going anywhere in the first place?

chipmaster Jul 18, 2020 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by lowfareair (Post 32540521)
According to Paddle Your Own Kanoo, it looks like Delta will have a new policy for masks:

1) Strongly discourage those who cannot wear a mask from flying
2) Those who say they cannot wear one for health reasons will have to arrive a bit earlier to complete a telehealth session with a doctor (that it appears is funded fully by Delta) who provides clearance for them to fly without a mask.
3) Gate agents/FAs will have a list of anyone who is cleared to not wear a mask and their respective seat

I think this is unfortunate but necessary given the number of people screaming that wearing a mask infringes on their rights (yet somehow requiring other clothing doesn't?) falsely claiming they have a medical need that prevents them from wearing one.

Sad that we have come to this, that we need 2). You'd think anyone who is that fragile yet can tolerate the lower pressure and lower O2 at 6-8K ft, well shouldn't be flying with risk of catching COVID and further weaken and maybe kill you.

The cost of Liberty/Freedom isn't the freedom and liberty to do as you please at the cost of increasing the risk of killing someone else.

NotReallyMyThing Jul 18, 2020 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 32541427)
Really? Browsing Amazon for about 30 seconds I’ve seen plenty of listings.

Amazon is specifically not allowing the sale of N95/KN95 masks to preserve their use for health care professionals (at least in the US). The sellers you see either claim 95% filtration without using those terms or are selling “N95” or “KN95” masks that aren’t actually on the list the CDC or FDA maintains of legitimate and tested N95/KN95 masks. If you want to use those go right ahead but I’ll pass on the “N95” masks made by Viet Fashion LTD or the ones that are shipped to you in ziploc bags with no indicated manufacturer, model, or lot number.

SJC ORD LDR Jul 18, 2020 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 32541344)
Not if others are wearing an N95.

Good luck getting a bunch of N95s. We have a PPE shortage.

cmd320 Jul 18, 2020 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR (Post 32541594)
Good luck getting a bunch of N95s. We have a PPE shortage.

I've already got a bunch of them. I actually found a few with vents in them earlier too. Much more pleasant.

kmersh Jul 18, 2020 5:51 pm

I posted it elsewhere, but my Brother had someone get in his face for wearing a true 3M N95 (his employer has tons prior to COVID-19 because of the work the factory preforms).

Ostensibly, the person was annoyed that my Brother's mask protected him and not others because it vented out his breath.

Luckily, someone called the cops and they were able to get the guy to leave my Brother alone and the cops said to my Borther that he was doing nothing wrong and followingthe rules.

In fact (my Brother learned after his experience flying) his employer looked to donate some to hospitals and were told because they have vents they are useless in the hospital setting.

Anyway, I am not sure if DL will care about true N95s which vent out, but just to be aware.

readywhenyouare Jul 18, 2020 6:17 pm

Thank God for that nearly see through bandana and disposable mask that's been worn for a month. It's going to save the human race. But then there are people who think TSA is keeping us safe too. I'm not sure which is more troubling.

readywhenyouare Jul 18, 2020 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 32540726)
It strengthens one avenue to avoid wearing a mask, however all someone has to do is plop a bag of M&Ms on their tray table and claim they're eating.

Give it time. Delta will likely prohibit that next.

cmd320 Jul 18, 2020 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 32541796)
Give it time. Delta will likely prohibit that next.

That would be interesting.

vanillabean Jul 18, 2020 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by lowfareair (Post 32540521)
it looks like Delta will have a new policy for masks:

1) Strongly discourage those who cannot wear a mask from flying
2) Those who say they cannot wear one for health reasons will have to arrive a bit earlier to complete a telehealth session with a doctor (that it appears is funded fully by Delta) who provides clearance for them to fly without a mask.
3) Gate agents/FAs will have a list of anyone who is cleared to not wear a mask and their respective seat

4) Keep talking to a minimum. Some trains have silent sections.

Talking Can Generate Coronavirus Droplets That Linger Up to 14 Minutes
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/h...nfections.html

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 32540726)
It strengthens one avenue to avoid wearing a mask, however all someone has to do is plop a bag of M&Ms on their tray table and claim they're eating.

5) Avoid snacking (unless you have something like a blood sugar condition, see 2)).

readywhenyouare Jul 18, 2020 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean (Post 32541833)
4) Keep talking to a minimum. Some trains have silent sections.

Talking Can Generate Coronavirus Droplets That Linger Up to 14 Minutes
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/h...nfections.html

5) Avoid snacking (unless you have something like a blood sugar condition, see 2)).

So, how are you planning to enforce the no talking? Have the flight attendants whack them with a ruler like a school teacher?

GateGuardian Jul 18, 2020 7:21 pm

I hope they make it really long or difficult process to get approved to deter the fakers.