Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What are people doing with Amex cards during COVID19? Should Amex offer more?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are people doing with Amex cards during COVID19? Should Amex offer more?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:45 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Annual fee is not prorated so I might as well keep it until renewal time then dump it.
It's always been pro-rated in my experience.

I canceled an AMEX a few months ago and received the balance of the annual fee as a check. I did ask for it, but they didn't give me any pushback.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I'm keeping my Reserve card but am limiting my spend on it for now preferring my old Marriott card. If
Delta doesn't extend my Diamond status, I'll put enough on it to qualify Plat for next year...

Instead of cancelling my Reserve card, I plan on cancelling my AMEX regular Plat and Hilton Aspire cards when they are up for renewal. Mostly only had Hilton card to keep Diamond but with them extending out my status for 2 years I won't need it any time soon.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:32 pm

"Also, I downgraded my DL Plat card to DL Blue card, and a credit of pro-rated annual fee showed up several days later."

I did too, and in 2020. The CSR even suggested this, and it was 10 months of fee being refunded. People thinking of downgrading may want to be quick about it in case this surprisingly generous policy is changed.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
I asked today if the Reserve welcome offer will be extended after April 1st due to the likelihood that no one has been signing up for this card for the last month and most SkyClubs are closed indefinitely. The Amex rep said no extension. Not sure I believe him. We'll find out tomorrow.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
FWIW I just downgraded my Plat to Gold yesterday. The Plat fees increased this year and it's just not really worth it to me.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
I downgraded my Reserve to Blue yesterday, pro-rated fee credit showed up today, which I transferred to my AMEX Gold to pay for my groceries...
Old Apr 4, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
I'm holding out two more weeks to get the Reserve cert, then downgrading to Blue.

I should note I also have the Business Reserve and to avoid poking the AMEX bear, I will leave that one as is.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Platinum
I downgraded to platinum, the pro-rate credit showed up a few days later. The guy was so nice via chat and sent me a new plat metal card via UPS. Groceries benefit is good for me since I max out that benefit another card each quarter, second I'll need Global Entry sometime this year, so that $100 perk will get used.

Definitely would return to Reserve someday if travel returns to normal.

Last edited by technole; Apr 5, 2020 at 4:55 am
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
My Delta Reserve Card fee hits in July, and I already put all my grocery and restaurant spend on an Amex Gold, so there is no real reason to downgrade. The Delta Reserve is good for long-term banking of MQM - with the recent extension of rollover into 2021, I will continue to spend on it to add to my MQM tally over the next few years.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
I hope everyone drops it... I am going to need the upgrade tiebreaker due to the status extension announced.
DiverDave and KenTarmac like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I’m going to at least ask for a retention offer or fee reduction. I see no reason to pay $725 this year in annual fees (this includes my main card + 1 AU card) if I can’t even use half the benefits for half the year. If I‘m not offered a retention offer or fee reduction, I will downgrade to the DL Plat Card for the rest of the year.
technole and defrosted like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
I called today about cancelling my Reserve Card because of no travel and sky club closures. They said NO prorated fee if I cancel. I asked that Delta was offering 6 months free sky club membership because of Covid would Amex give 6 months free or a credit - answer a big NO. I think Amex is being unreasonable and short sighted. I didn't argue because my annual fee is due in May. So I guess I just wasted April
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:07 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
At this point, I'm going to keep it. Part of the reason is banking MQMs. The other is the 2-for-1 (which I expect to put to good use at some point).
Adelphos likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: Delta
If I downgrade from Reserve to Plat, would they have to change my card number?
Coincidentally I cancelled my Plat earlier this year after they increased fees. The process of tracing and updating card numbers after that drop was not pleasant...
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:59 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Casily
If I downgrade from Reserve to Plat, would they have to change my card number?
Coincidentally I cancelled my Plat earlier this year after they increased fees. The process of tracing and updating card numbers after that drop was not pleasant...
IME upgrades don't change the number. I've never downgraded but expect it would be the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.