Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL to Extend Status to Feb-2022 due to COVID 19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
https://news.delta.com/delta-extends-medallion-status-club-memberships-and-more-support-skymiles-members-future-travel

https://www.delta.com/us/en/coronavirus-update-center/extending-skymiles-benefits
  • current 2020 Medallion status (including gifted and promotional) is being extended through January 31, 2022
  • all MQMs earned in 2020 will be rolled over into 2021, even for non-status members; this includes AMEX boost MQMs
  • Rollover MQMs from 2019 that are currently in members accounts WILL be included when everything rolls over into 2021
  • PMs/DMs who do not re-qualify organically, but instead have their 2020 status extended into 2021, will receive another set of Choice Benefits on Feb 1, 2021
  • many other benefits (including but not limited to upgrade certs, AMEX companion certs, SC memberships/Reserve guest passes) are being extended 6 months -- check the links above for details
  • "SkyMiles Members enrolled in a challenge or promotion to earn Medallion Status [...] can start a new promotion when they are ready to start traveling again if they missed out on achieving the requirements the first time."

Above is a summary, not a full list. See the links for more details.

Print Wikipost

DL to Extend Status to Feb-2022 due to COVID 19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
I think the only way they stimulate demand is to lower fares. And that would allow people to fly more for sure. It would make status tougher to get but we have already established that in a vacuum this is not necessarily a bad thing so long as one is on the side of having status.
I'm looking some trips and potentially to Florida over memorial weekend, and I can book for around $110 round trip from BOS. The flights are almost empty and there is no room to left to meaningfully drop fares further. It simply isn't going to attract more people at this point. Many are afraid to fly, or are not flying because of widening stay at home orders and the fact that businesses are also not sending any employees anywhere. That s not going to change for months.

You can't artificially create demand when there is none due to a shock to the industry just by making the supply cheap.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Lets put this nonsense in perspective. This is two-four weeks of the year. From mid March to Mid april we likely will limit travel. That is less than 10% of the entire year. This is not going to go on for six months. or even four months. By late april at the latest this will have run its course and we will be back to traveling.
if its only a 2-4 week interruption then dl needs to offer nothing....but i'm afraid you are wrong here....this interruption will be a lot longer....this is not the flu....this is much more serious....young & healthy people will not be affected as much but the elderly & sick will be....those still traveling & risking spreading this to the vulnerable are unfortunately behaving very irresponsibly....

i guess we can wait till late april to see where we are....i'll be more than happy to be proven incorrect here but i don't see the situation improving till august or september....
Casimir, CO-PLAT and orca15 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:08 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by lsquare
We saw this coming and yet the global response have been a total disaster. The Italian response is amongst the worse and they're paying the price.
I'm pretty sure that we are about to see that the American (lack of) response becomes THE worst within the next few weeks.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Hilton just announced status extensions... I came to the rumor mill to see if any indication that Delta may be any closer to announcing.
MikeNYC1 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by defrosted
Hilton just announced status extensions... I came to the rumor mill to see if any indication that Delta may be any closer to announcing.
If DL does extend status, I wonder what would happen in regards to choice benefits? Would we get to select new ones for 2021 even though we technically didn’t earn the status?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
My guess is those who actually ‘earned” the status will receive a new round of choice benefits. Those who didn’t will not get a second set of them would be my suspicions.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
If DL does extend status, I wonder what would happen in regards to choice benefits? Would we get to select new ones for 2021 even though we technically didn’t earn the status?
My guess is that it’s probably not worth the effort to differentiate on choice benefits. By extending for a year it’s good PR and reinforces loyalty. Plus most of those benefits are tied to purchasing travel, which Delta, and other airlines, will want to greatly encourage
Old Mar 25, 2020, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
in my opinion it would be fair to only offer choice benefits to those who have re-qualified....
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by Keyser
in my opinion it would be fair to only offer choice benefits to those who have re-qualified....
Re-qualified base on the "normal" requirement?
MCO Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
If this drags on until late in the summer, I doubt many would be able to re-quality for PM and DM at the normal requirements unless they continue to spend on their DL CC’s and had a large rollover from last year. This year due to not getting much of a rollover, if my regular travel resumes in June, I’d probably go back down to GM if nothing is done to status requirements. Hopefully this all gets resolved early enough where DL can just lower the requirements needed rather than just extend everyone’s status.

Originally Posted by Keyser
At this rate, not many DMs and PMs will be re-qualifying at the normal requirements.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:59 pm

It is a zero sum game - less diamonds means less competition for the perks of status.

Lets put this nonsense in perspective. This is two-four weeks of the year. From mid March to Mid april we likely will limit travel. That is less than 10% of the entire year. This is not going to go on for six months. or even four months. By late april at the latest this will have run its course and we will be back to traveling. The fact that one's company doesn't allow you to travel should not give you access to a status extension because 10% of the year people could not travel.

I don't care if people agree or disagree with the choice to fly now - that is not on them. And quite frankly it is none of their business. If people want to bunker in then feel free. People treat this like it is the plague. Its a flu. perhaps a bit more contagious and perhaps a bit more serious for some but it still a flu. I do not understand why the fear of others should result in a reduction of benefits for those of us who fly this year.

If people fall short they should use the "reclaim my status" feature of DL. That is why it is there.
2-4 weeks? This will easily go into the summer months.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:59 pm

Losing status after dropping below AMEX spend?

So the COVID is presenting all sorts of unique challenges... I have a Platinum Delta AMEX that I use for my day-to-day card, but at the end of last year I signed up for an Reserve card to get the 10k bonus MQM's and hit platinum status. As part of completing the new cardmember offer required spend, I booked a cruise and a bunch of shore excursions. I have not used the Reserve card since I met the spend to get the bonus MQM's. I just got word that my cruise was cancelled and the fare and excursions are all going to be refunded to the card. This is like $5k in spend from 2019. I'm worried that Amex is going to think I tried to cheat the 2019 spend, when in reality the cruise line refunding this is beyond my control. I'd much rather be going on the cruise!!!

Anyone ever had a similar situation? I feel like if I just chat with generic Amex customer support they'll be totally clueless on this. Any need for me to be worried about they trying to retroactively pull my MQM's? I would hope they see me as a good customer (I go way over the MQD waiver spend on my platinum card each year) and recognize this is an odd year with the COVID, but not sure how smart they are versus what they have automated.

Thanks for any insights!
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:07 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Hopefully this all gets resolved early enough where DL can just lower the requirements needed rather than just extend everyone’s status..
I agree 100% with you.
In the event DL operation comeback a little more normal for May/June, I believe to renew my Diamond (will be difficult if it go to August...)
But I wish DL will still lower the requirement, because I think it is many other Diamond who are more "tight" in their renewal than me.
I prefer a little more peoples in lounge and some more difficulty to use my GUC, but for DL to keep a good number of FF to be "healthy" after.
In situation like this. We must be emphatic/supportive between all medallion FF, not be selfish/egoist.
I think about other FF who can need a little "push" to re-qualify.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FBplatinum
yes, based on the normal requirements....

At this rate, not many DMs and PMs will be re-qualifying at the normal requirements.
i agree....there is going to a be a tiny percentage of people who must have already re-qualified....the rest will have a hard time the longer this situation drags on....

in my opinion, this disruption is going to last till july at least....so lets suppose travel resumes from august then dl could reduce requirements by 1/3rd....if travel resumes in october then they could half the requirements....if its beyond that then it would be fair to just extend status for the next year....

having said that, i think it would also make sense for dl to reduce the choice benefits for those who re-qualify with reduced requirements....this way it will be fair for those who have or will re-qualify with regular requirements....so taking diamond status into consideration, if status is extended then you get no new choice benefits but your 2020 benefits are extended along with your status....if you re-qualify with 1/3rd requirements then you only get 1 choice benefit....if you re-qualify with half requirements then you only get 2 choice benefit....if you meet the regular requirements then you get all 3 choice benefits....
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by musicdude91
2-4 weeks? This will easily go into the summer months.
i agree....its extremely irresponsible for those who are doing non-essential travel right now....they risk infecting themselves & others....people who are doing this are part of the reason why this will take longer to control....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.