Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

RUCs/GUCs expiring Mar-Jun to be extended to Dec 31st (COVID19)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
"Regional upgrade certificates that are currently open/unused and were scheduled to expire in March, April, May, or June 2020 will be extended to expire Dec 30, 2020." In my case, the agent had to re-open the certificates since they were used/closed from the confirmed upgrades. She said "This process normally takes 7-10 days but may take longer given the current situation."

UPDATE: announced along with the status extension news (see the other thread's wiki), DL also is extending all certificates by 6 months.
Print Wikipost

RUCs/GUCs expiring Mar-Jun to be extended to Dec 31st (COVID19)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2020, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by bennos
I think there's the technical implementation and the user facing policy. The technical implementation (as far as I can tell, I don't work for Delta) is that upgrades must clear before the certificate expires, regardless of the flight date.

The user facing policy was originally the same, though a couple of years ago the policy officially changed to require the flight to complete before the certificate expired. However, there were numerous reports (including my own personal experience) that as long as the upgrade was cleared (ie: the ticket reissued) the upgrade would stick. More recently, maybe a year ago, the policy became pretty much universally implemented. I suspect this was to provide "consistency" to the flyer.
As I mentioned earlier, that policy has now changed again. Must fly before the expiration (as stated on the upgrade cert). I have also had luck getting them used beyond the expiration date in the past, but no luck this past Spring. If you have had luck recently, please post.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
Expired global GUC 11/20/20

In middle of October I used four GUC that expired 11/20/20 for a trip in August of 2021. One way on delta metal and one way on KLM. No issues.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
I feel like that's a fair policy now - if they don't extend expiration at least let GUC's that clear immediately be used for future travel. I sure feel like I lucked out (although we'll see what happens in Aug for my actual flight)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.