FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   So 360 is out - what about another tier? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2006393-so-360-out-what-about-another-tier.html)

wringme Jan 27, 2020 9:08 am

So 360 is out - what about another tier?

With the increasing number of Delta Million Milers out there, should there not be another tier to acknowledge those long term loyal fliers that have amassed significant mileage but cannot achieve anything above the million miler status in a single year? I have been a top tier member of the Delta Programs as long as they have had such a thing. I have 6.2MM miles but still see newbies with one or two years of Diamond tier status receive equal - or better - chance of upgrade. I believe a 'loyalty' Diamond status should be a new tier. For instance, if you have been a Diamond for 5 years strait, or have been at the top level for 'X' years, (It use to be Platinum at the top) you gain a slight advantage over the standard Diamond level.

This would show those loyal fliers that it was not always about the recent dollars but that there was some acknowledgement of what loyalty really means. It would not affect a huge number of travelers but would be another 'goal' to achieve and be one of the few award levels that did not simply come from the "what have you done for me lately" philosophy.

Qwkynuf Jan 27, 2020 10:26 am

Originally Posted by wringme (Post 31999857)
With the increasing number of Delta Million Milers out there, should there not be another tier to acknowledge those long term loyal fliers that have amassed significant mileage but cannot achieve anything above the million miler status in a single year? I have been a top tier member of the Delta Programs as long as they have had such a thing. I have 6.2MM miles but still see newbies with one or two years of Diamond tier status receive equal - or better - chance of upgrade. I believe a 'loyalty' Diamond status should be a new tier. For instance, if you have been a Diamond for 5 years strait, or have been at the top level for 'X' years, (It use to be Platinum at the top) you gain a slight advantage over the standard Diamond level.

This would show those loyal fliers that it was not always about the recent dollars but that there was some acknowledgement of what loyalty really means. It would not affect a huge number of travelers but would be another 'goal' to achieve and be one of the few award levels that did not simply come from the "what have you done for me lately" philosophy.

What would be the benefit to Delta?

We could all sit around and come up with criteria skewed in some way that it would benefit us personally, but if there's not a measurable incentive for Delta, on top of the implementation cost, why would they do it?

Edited to add: You do realize that SkyMiles isn't a loyalty program to reward past spending, right? It's a marketing program designed to drive future spend.

manacit Jan 27, 2020 10:29 am

This would show those loyal fliers that it was not always about the recent dollars but that there was some acknowledgement of what loyalty really means.

Loyalty really means dollars for DL, that's why they have a FF program in the first place. I don't think they're interested in rewarding money they've already collected without incentivizing you to spend more.

Frankly, I always find it funny when people propose or say what Delta "should" do - it always happens to be advantageous for them! I think DL should create a FF program where anyone who posts on FT with the name 'manacit' gets DM every year, to reward the amount of time I've spent talking about them here. This would show FT how loyalty really means.

TuxTom Jan 27, 2020 10:47 am

Seems to me a 'newbie' Diamond is more likely to jump ship to another airline than a long term top-tier multi-million miler. Further reducing the DM benefits/upgrade chances for a newer member is a good way to push them away.

rucksack Jan 27, 2020 10:48 am

You could debate the merits of the program, but that's exactly what the Million Miler program is intended to do: provide recognition for long-term loyalty. The MM designation is visible to front-line staff so that they can provide personalized service to these members (that's not to say that they always do). As a 4+ Million Miler, you have complimentary annual Platinum status, which is incredibly valuable since you can redeposit award tickets for free.

As far as upgrades are concerned, no, I don't think you should get upgrade priority simply because you've flown a lot on Delta (or PMNW perhaps) in the past. Consider that even 360 members don't get higher upgrade priority (not that they would need it since most of them probably purchase F outright).

kop84 Jan 27, 2020 10:52 am

Originally Posted by manacit (Post 32000209)
Loyalty really means dollars for DL, that's why they have a FF program in the first place. I don't think they're interested in rewarding money they've already collected without incentivizing you to spend more.

Frankly, I always find it funny when people propose or say what Delta "should" do - it always happens to be advantageous for them! I think DL should create a FF program where anyone who posts on FT with the name 'manacit' gets DM every year, to reward the amount of time I've spent talking about them here. This would show FT how loyalty really means.

It's the same mentality that leads to, "the Skyclub is too crowded! But don't make the way I access the club harder"

bubbashow Jan 27, 2020 11:00 am

If you think "loyalty" means anything other than dollars, you will be disappointed in any "loyalty" program.

Good for Delta for acknowledging 360 members. They are truly Delta's bread and butter.

DL-Don Jan 27, 2020 11:00 am

Originally Posted by rucksack (Post 32000293)
Consider that even 360 members don't get higher upgrade priority (not that they would need it since most of them probably purchase F outright).

Your first point is incorrect. Your second is correct.

MSPeconomist Jan 27, 2020 11:05 am

Originally Posted by rucksack (Post 32000293)
You could debate the merits of the program, but that's exactly what the Million Miler program is intended to do: provide recognition for long-term loyalty. The MM designation is visible to front-line staff so that they can provide personalized service to these members (that's not to say that they always do). As a 4+ Million Miler, you have complimentary annual Platinum status, which is incredibly valuable since you can redeposit award tickets for free.

As far as upgrades are concerned, no, I don't think you should get upgrade priority simply because you've flown a lot on Delta (or PMNW perhaps) in the past. Consider that even 360 members don't get higher upgrade priority (not that they would need it since most of them probably purchase F outright).

Are you sure 360s don't get upgrade priority over ordinary DMs?

TheStrongOne Jan 27, 2020 11:19 am

I have been a top tier member of the Delta Programs as long as they have had such a thing. I have 6.2MM miles...

Is complimentary annual Platinum status not enough for you?

Just curious.. I wonder how you would feel/post if Delta actually had such a tier, yet the criterion was slightly above your reach? Would you then advocate for a lowering of the entry criteria, or be happy that it existed even though you didn't qualify? Like others here, I'm often amused by those looking for tiers that would narrowly benefit themselves foremost.

MCO Flyer Jan 27, 2020 11:21 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32000373)

I’m pretty sure they do. I thought I remember someone posting a personalized video that one of the 360s received and in it was a note that they would have the highest comp UG priority. Back to the OP’s subject, UA gives those who achieve 4MM annual GS while DL is only giving 4MM annual PM.

Originally Posted by TheStrongOne (Post 32000432)
Is complimentary annual Platinum status not enough for you?

Just curious.. I wonder how you would feel/post if Delta actually had such a tier, yet the criterion was slightly above your reach? Would you then advocate for a lowering of the entry criteria, or be happy that it existed even though you didn't qualify? Like others here, I'm often amused by those looking for tiers that would narrowly benefit themselves foremost.

UA is able to give there 4MM annual GS.

rucksack Jan 27, 2020 11:25 am

Originally Posted by DL-Don (Post 32000354)
Your first point is incorrect. Your second is correct.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32000373)

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 32000441)
I’m pretty sure they do. I thought I remember someone posting a personalized video that one of the 360s received and in it was a note that they would have the highest comp UG priority.

This is frequently misunderstood. Unlike Concierge Key, for example, Delta 360 members do not get any higher upgrade priority than a regular DM. That said, if you are a Delta 360 member, but not a DM (apparently this happens), you get DM upgrade priority. So, Delta 360 members do get the highest upgrade priority, which is the same upgrade priority that any regular DM gets.

Delta 360 doesn’t appear to offer any significant advantage over its highest published status (Diamond Medallion) when it comes to upgrades, but at least members get the same priority.
Source: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/delta-360-status/

MCO Flyer Jan 27, 2020 11:29 am

Originally Posted by rucksack (Post 32000465)
This is frequently misunderstood. Unlike Concierge Key, for example, Delta 360 members do not get any higher upgrade priority than a regular DM. That said, if you are a Delta 360 member, but not a DM (apparently this happens), you get DM upgrade priority. So, Delta 360 members do get the highest upgrade priority, which is the same upgrade priority that any regular DM gets.

Source: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/delta-360-status/

Not according to this personalized message each 360 member got from Ed Bastian last year. (Around the :30 second mark)

cre95 Jan 27, 2020 12:02 pm

With the increasing number of Delta Million Milers out there, should there not be another tier to acknowledge those long term loyal fliers that have amassed significant ...

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf (Post 32000199)
You do realize that SkyMiles isn't a loyalty program to reward past spending, right? It's a marketing program designed to drive future spend.

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 32000352)
If you think "loyalty" means anything other than dollars, you will be disappointed in any "loyalty" program.

I can see this working. To support Qwkynuf's and bubbashow's views, how about if Delta issues luggage tags with a marker to illustrate your investment with Delta over time. This would be an aggregation of your MQDs and they could start with $100k and do $100k increments. Not sure if Delta would have access to historical MDQs to make this practical. So, a tag with a $1m marker would truly show significant investment in Delta :cool:

So, folks making DM with an annual $15k investment, would get their first "$100k" on their 7th year :D

Often1 Jan 27, 2020 12:24 pm

The sole reason to do anything based on "lifetime" is to keep people who are still in the market loyal while they are still spending. If not for that, DL would defrock any elite the year after spending drops.

Bottom line is that it's a zero sum game. Every upgrade someone else gets is one I don't get. Every extra mile awarded simply means more miles chasing the same # of seats.