FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   So 360 is out - what about another tier? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2006393-so-360-out-what-about-another-tier.html)

WillBarrett_68 Jan 27, 2020 12:54 pm

"I think delta should have a new program to give huge benefits to a small group of people, and it's just a total coincidence that I personally happen to be in this small group that would get the disproportionate windfall"

ok

WillBarrett_68 Jan 27, 2020 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 32000441)
UA gives those who achieve 4MM annual GS while DL is only giving 4MM annual PM.

Of course, 4MM with UA is generally a lot more than with DL since UA doesn't count class of service bonuses, MQM boosts, or whatever, it's just straight butt-in-seat miles.

rucksack Jan 27, 2020 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 32000483)
Not according to this personalized message each 360 member got from Ed Bastian last year. (Around the :30 second mark)

When 360 originated, the verbiage was different and the consensus seemed to be that 360 got the same upgrade priority as regular DMs. I agree that "you'll be at the top of the upgrade list" implies higher priority, and maybe this is true, but this isn't spelled out clearly. You could just as easily say that Diamonds in general are "at the top of the upgrade list."

Beltway2A Jan 27, 2020 1:37 pm

I also believe that there should be additional rewards for people with habits similar to mine, above those who I don't want to get additional benefits.

mattp1987 Jan 27, 2020 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 (Post 32000830)
Of course, 4MM with UA is generally a lot more than with DL since UA doesn't count class of service bonuses, MQM boosts, or whatever, it's just straight butt-in-seat miles.

And AFAIK, it's just BIS miles on UA and UAX. Partner flights don't count.

jimrpa Jan 27, 2020 2:45 pm

SkyMiles is not a “Loyalty” program. It’s simply a purchase rewards program. The Delta Frequent Flyer Program WAS a “loyalty” program.
The Delta Air Lines that exists today has a completely different operating model. I won’t debate “better” or “worse”, but it is a different model and people have to accept it.

SecurityTheaterFanClubPresident Jan 27, 2020 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by rucksack (Post 32000841)
When 360 originated, the verbiage was different and the consensus seemed to be that 360 got the same upgrade priority as regular DMs. I agree that "you'll be at the top of the upgrade list" implies higher priority, and maybe this is true, but this isn't spelled out clearly. You could just as easily say that Diamonds in general are "at the top of the upgrade list."

The first time I got my Diamond welcome e-mail, it stated exactly like that:
  • The highest Complimentary Upgrade priority
.This was an e-mail from October of 2018. I am not sure they can legally advertise that if there is a tier with higher priority, even if it is a "secret" tier.

CoMooter Jan 27, 2020 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987 (Post 32001091)
And AFAIK, it's just BIS miles on UA and UAX. Partner flights don't count.

Yup...and likely the reason that UA seems to (still) value their MM’s most - even with all the problems there. As ‘just’ a 1 MM flyer I am still impressed at the recognition I get more than a little often - and I am still protected from what is being done to the rest of the MP base - especially as of late. It is a reason to keep giving them business.

DL’s MM program - while easier to get than UA - is miles apart from what UA gives you at each tier and LT Plat at ‘only’ 4MM MQM is a bit much to ‘aspire’ to.

I can speak from experience on both programs. Frankly, DL’s MM program - or lack thereof - as you advance past 2M is a big reason I push more ST crediting to AF these days. After 2M with DL things get sparse. But, 10 years Plat with AF gets you Plat for life with them. And AF Plat is worth more than LT DL Gold IMHO. It is even better have both.

Same with MM AA for me as well - there are better places to credit OW flights to after 2M+ is hit - and the lack of much of anything above 2M with AA gives me a(nother) reason to stay off AA metal whenever practicable.

That (much of OW - not all) mileage sits better with AS IMHO as well - whose own program is also based on just AS BIS miles - and they are really recognized over there from what I have seen.

A321neo Jan 27, 2020 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by wringme (Post 31999857)
With the increasing number of Delta Million Milers out there, should there not be another tier to acknowledge those long term loyal fliers that have amassed significant mileage but cannot achieve anything above the million miler status in a single year? I have been a top tier member of the Delta Programs as long as they have had such a thing. I have 6.2MM miles but still see newbies with one or two years of Diamond tier status receive equal - or better - chance of upgrade. I believe a 'loyalty' Diamond status should be a new tier. For instance, if you have been a Diamond for 5 years strait, or have been at the top level for 'X' years, (It use to be Platinum at the top) you gain a slight advantage over the standard Diamond level.

This would show those loyal fliers that it was not always about the recent dollars but that there was some acknowledgement of what loyalty really means. It would not affect a huge number of travelers but would be another 'goal' to achieve and be one of the few award levels that did not simply come from the "what have you done for me lately" philosophy.

A 1M will always outrank a 6.2M if the 1M has a higher fare class.

ijgordon Jan 28, 2020 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf (Post 32000199)
Edited to add: You do realize that SkyMiles isn't a loyalty program to reward past spending, right? It's a marketing program designed to drive future spend.

Certainly the promise of higher-priority upgrades after meeting whatever the threshhold is would drive future spend, no? Not for the OP who conveniently will meet the threshold, but for everyone who hasn't.

There are probably a million ways one could micro-segment SkyMiles/Medallion members. I'm sure DL thinks about it a lot as well. But it's all kind of pointless discussion here.

MSPeconomist Jan 28, 2020 11:33 am

Originally Posted by SecurityTheaterFanClubPresident (Post 32001253)
The first time I got my Diamond welcome e-mail, it stated exactly like that:
  • The highest Complimentary Upgrade priority
.This was an e-mail from October of 2018. I am not sure they can legally advertise that if there is a tier with higher priority, even if it is a "secret" tier.

I just checked my DM kit for next year and it says "highest priority" for unlimited industry-leading complimentary upgrades.

CAVU Jan 28, 2020 12:28 pm

Bottom line is that Delta is a profit driven business

I crossed the 3 million mile threshold in September and with the additional of the fourth status level (Diamond), I actually have less benefit as an "annual complimentary" Gold Medallion that I did when I hit 2 million and there were only three status levels, because Delta decided not to make any adjustments.

Delta is one of the premier airlines flying and is making money for its shareholders and employees and as such it is about what are you willing to pay for what they believe is the best product (domestic and international) flying.

I have refocused on Alaska where at 1 million I will be LIFETIME MVP Gold which is their middle tier and has a lot of benefits. Of course as Alaska grows the pressure from Wall Street will push them toward the Delta model but as a passenger hopefully not for awhile.

As a side note, unless it was lost in the mail, I don't any communication from Delta about making it to 3 million.

wringme Jan 30, 2020 10:05 am

I have never known of a level f priority that once introduced, is not soon after a 'goal' to be achieved. Without another level to be acquired, one might just as well give their travel dollars to another airline. As an example, I now have 'lifetime' status in the Sheraton and Marriott programs. The benefit to me by continuing to patronize their program has been significantly reduced. I rejoined and support the Hyatt program now as I have not achieved their full benefit lifetime status yet.

I truly believe if there is a level to achieve - in any program - travelers will strive to attain it. No difference with Delta.

wringme Jan 30, 2020 10:14 am

You make my point exactly. If there was another level, I would achieve it!

Complimentary Platinum is worthless. When were you last provided any benefit from that?

Amused? isn't the whole point to enhanced one's own experience? I couldn't care less where you sit.

wringme Jan 30, 2020 10:28 am

That's honest and totally understandable