FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Missed Connection in Sea (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1990881-missed-connection-sea.html)

manually Oct 11, 2019 5:45 am

Missed Connection in Sea

Hey everyone.

Recently, Flying to YVR via Sea. Took a later flight out and because of a delay we missed the connection to YVR. There were four of us on 2 confirmations. In one, I am platinum and in the second reservation my son is silver. When we landed in Sea we went to the help desk. They gave us all a meal voucher, but they put us up in a red lion about 15 min away. As a platinum was I expecting too much for a nicer closer hotel?

I have heard these amazing stories about how wonderfully you are treated with missed connections but honestly Red Lion?

Am I thinking too much DYKWIA?

dmbolp Oct 11, 2019 6:00 am

Give us some useful details:

- Route?
- Cause of the delay?
-"Took a later flight", what does this mean? Sounds to me like you had two separate flights booked, XXX-SEA and then SEA-YVR, and there was enough time between these two that you were able to take a later XXX-SEA?

Often1 Oct 11, 2019 6:10 am

Bottom line question as to hotel is that you were expecting too much. The underlying reason for the delay is not likely to influence whether the property provides an en suite hot tub. The better question is what property you did ask for and what was the agent's response?

Where you go later in the day depends on what is available. It's why I book whatever I want and then either submit it to travel insurance or if it's not covered, just eat the cost. Over time, it's not worth sweating staying at 1* properties.

UKtravelbear Oct 11, 2019 6:19 am

I have no knowledge of this particular hotel you mention but sometines airlines don't have a lot of choice over hotels when there are irrops.

15 mins away sounds pretty close to me. I read posts on here of people being put in hotels 60 minutes on a bus away from the airport involved.

Jaimito Cartero Oct 11, 2019 6:23 am

If you don’t like a hotel you’re given, ask for another. I’ll often ask for a hotel I have status with that I know is nearby.

dcadwell Oct 11, 2019 6:35 am

Last time I VDB'd in Dallas they put me up in a hotel that was 25+ minutes away.

Really confused the SkyClub bartender when I came back in the next morning.

ethernal Oct 11, 2019 6:40 am

What's wrong with Red Lion? I'd never heard of the brand before and did a quick Google - I was expecting a Days Inn motel based on your post. It looks like a mid-tier full service hotel chain. Is it a St. Regis? No, but it seems like it is perfectly serviceable to spend the night unless there is something specifically negative about the hotel.

Orange County Commuter Oct 11, 2019 6:47 am

What were you expecting? Advanced case of DYKWIA here. "DYKWIA I should be put in the biggest suite in the best hotel in Seattle"

flyerCO Oct 11, 2019 7:13 am

I'm sorry to disappoint, but a PM isnt considered a high value customer by DL. DM and 360s, and to a lesser degree D1 passengers without status.

You don't state the reason for the misconnect. It maybe that DL put you up even though not required to. Also the hotel may have been the only one with voucher rooms left. DL has X rooms at each hotel to give vouchers for. Once those are gone they cant issue voucher for it, even if hotel has plenty of more rooms.

Lastly, did you ask for another hotel? DL has never refused a request to pick a hotel for anyone I know. (Well maybe a few times when person requested a hotel they usually only give out to HVC ala the DTW Westin) Basically be reasonable and you'll get what you ask as long as there's voucher room still available.

manually Oct 11, 2019 8:05 am

The issue was late arriving equipment.

Totally understand that I am not high value. I suspect I am upper lower value.

I did not ask for another hotel so I know for next time.
The Red Lion in Renton is totally dated, and seemed to actually be like a motel 8.

Appreciate the feedback. I guess I have been spoiled by delta and the excellent customer service I usually get even as a lowly platinum that I was expecting more than a 2 star hotel.

Often1 Oct 11, 2019 8:16 am

Originally Posted by manually (Post 31616603)
The issue was late arriving equipment.

Totally understand that I am not high value. I suspect I am upper lower value.

I did not ask for another hotel so I know for next time.
The Red Lion in Renton is totally dated, and seemed to actually be like a motel 8.

Appreciate the feedback. I guess I have been spoiled by delta and the excellent customer service I usually get even as a lowly platinum that I was expecting more than a 2 star hotel.

If you don't ask.....

Either there wasn't anything better or the better place went to the guy who asked for it.

The worst you can get is a "no".and more likely a, "sorry, this is all I have."

thetaxman Oct 11, 2019 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31616206)

It's why I book whatever I want and then either submit it to travel insurance or if it's not covered, just eat the cost. Over time, it's not worth sweating staying at 1* properties.

Bingo. Remove the need for someone else to control where you sleep and you can then only blame yourself. Annual/single travel insurance policies are cheap and IMHO an absolute necessity even flying domestically. They become even cheaper when they pay out.

SJC ORD LDR Oct 11, 2019 9:43 am

If you drove another couple hours, you would be in Vancouver. Seattle and Vancouver are pretty close together.

jrl767 Oct 11, 2019 10:12 am

true, but a completely unnecessary poke in the eye

I agree w opinions of Red Lion in general, but I also agree that the Renton property (former Holiday Inn, right at the junction of 405 and WA 167, is one I’d assiduously avoid

whenever people mention “Red Lion” and “SEA” in the same breath, I still have to force myself to remember that the Doubletree about two blocks south of the airport used to be one of Red Lion’s flagship properties

sevastras Oct 11, 2019 10:31 am

The Red Lion isn’t terrible. If it makes you feel any better, last time they put me up in the Marriot 7 minutes away in Seattle.