FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   AF FA said use 2K + train for M28, red vest stopped me! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1988938-af-fa-said-use-2k-train-m28-red-vest-stopped-me.html)

cauchy Sep 27, 2019 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno (Post 31571350)
What is at stake for me is that I may shy away from using CDG on the return and stuck with AMS with starting the day at places like ATH.

This. Transiting AMS is so much better than transiting CDG.

MarLim Sep 27, 2019 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno (Post 31571350)
GE works wonders for me at ATL - although one can be stalled if waiting for luggage - but I wonder if mobile passport line would work for you in ATL or even some of the Kiosks available in the non-USA passport line.

not GE eligible unfortunately

kiosks work fine as long as you are allowed to use them. More than once at 7pm immigration staff is redirecting everybody in transit to one single line without kiosks. They wouldn’t let you use the ATL line with less people waiting when you are in transit. As your experience in CDG you cannot choose the way you like despite I know that I could easily clear security again and would probably be faster. I have not tried lying them and using the ATL line when in transit.

MSPeconomist Sep 27, 2019 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno (Post 31571360)
What is the story with the e-gates at 2E-M? I could never get the attention of the black suit agent to ask what passports could use that line.

They're for EU passports, probably plus Switzerland, etc. Unfortunately not USA.

CPMaverick Sep 27, 2019 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by MarLim (Post 31570620)
when asking for more immigration lines you should probably start in ATL. In CDG I haver never seen waiting times like in ATL. The longest queue I have ever seen in CDG was about an hour. ATL can be much worse ... and MCT intl intl is 90 min.

Depends a lot on your passport. I think you'll find US citizens have an easier time in ATL and a harder time in CDG than you (sounds like you have an EU-passport).

gooselee Sep 27, 2019 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Weekend Away (Post 31570471)
This is about entry immigration, not exit. This is about getting your passport stamped upon entry into France from an international flight. That's all.

OP was going ATH>CDG>US, thus exiting Schengen zone at CDG. This thread is absolutely about exit immigration and how it is handled at CDG.

But even in reverse your argument fails. Because the US has no exit immigration, that means by definition all departure gates are "inside" the US. So of course US airports don't care what terminal you enter, as you must clear US entry immigration in order to access any of the departure terminals.

Said another way: It is impossible to transit I-to-I within the US without clearing entry immigration, because you must enter the US in order to access any departure gate at any terminal. At CDG, entire terminals are technically "outside" the Schengen zone, thus they absolutely must control terminal access to keep things segregated.

Xeno Sep 28, 2019 8:21 am

Originally Posted by cauchy (Post 31571367)
This. Transiting AMS is so much better than transiting CDG.

Does not AMS have a line for those who might miss their flights? I remember something like that once you reach the passport station if your flight leaves in say 30 minutes get in the far right line.

gooselee Sep 28, 2019 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Xeno (Post 31572978)
Does not AMS have a line for those who might miss their flights? I remember something like that once you reach the passport station if your flight leaves in say 30 minutes get in the far right line.

Last time I went through AMS, they indeed had this for entering Schengen. Every 10 min or so they would make an announcement for anyone with a flight departing before X time (it was like 40 or 45 mins out IIRC) to step out of line and go into a separate lane.

This was a good practice because otherwise the line itself took 20-30 mins to go through.