FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   AF FA said use 2K + train for M28, red vest stopped me! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1988938-af-fa-said-use-2k-train-m28-red-vest-stopped-me.html)

Billy Mumphrey Sep 26, 2019 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Nicoolio (Post 31566905)
That's surprising to me. So you are saying if I just wanted to access some restaurant in the B6 terminal - even if I was on a different airline leaving from a different terminal - I could access the B6 terminal, etc.?

It's commonly done to access a lounge in a different terminal than your flight. For example, I had a long layover at JFK so I cleared security at T8 to use my priority pass at Bobby Van's before reclearing security at T4 for my Delta flight. You just have to tell security you know your flight is in a different terminal but you're entering their terminal to access a particular restaurant or lounge. I've never been refused entry.

Zorak Sep 26, 2019 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by IggySD (Post 31566877)
Sure you could. You wouldn’t be able to board your flight from there and would have to re-clear security at T8 but if you wanted to visit T7 for some reason you can.

Originally Posted by dlflyer00 (Post 31567003)
General TSA policy is that a boarding pass is valid for any terminal at a given airport.

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey (Post 31567099)
It's commonly done to access a lounge in a different terminal than your flight. For example, I had a long layover at JFK so I cleared security at T8 to use my priority pass at Bobby Van's before reclearing security at T4 for my Delta flight. You just have to tell security you know your flight is in a different terminal but you're entering their terminal to access a particular restaurant or lounge. I've never been refused entry.

Be that as it may, I have been refused entry to the security line at T1 when I wanted to use the AF lounge during a long layover (connecting DL-DL, I forget whether this was outbound D-I or on the return I-D).

Granted, this refusal was from the line guardian, not the TSA checker, and I'm willing to believe TSA would not have cared, had I managed to make my way past the dragon. But I didn't want to make a big deal out of it so I just gave up.

cre95 Sep 26, 2019 1:55 pm

I am surprised nobody has offered the suggestion for the OP to carry a smaller rollaboard or better yet, check their bag, so that they have less to lug around through the airport :D

bgriff Sep 26, 2019 2:40 pm

OP: One option would be to exit 2F as if you're terminating in Paris, take the landside pedestrian bridges across the highway to 2E-K, and then enter from landside as if you were originating in Paris. The downside to that route is that you would have to reclear security, but no one can stop you from doing it.

(And I'm pretty sure if your original plan had succeeded, you would have had to reclear security when you got off the train at M anyway, because the train is in the international zone but not the secure zone.)

But I agree that the passport control lines for the 2F->2E-L-M checkpoint are always a mess, so personally I'd just give up on them and try the landside route.

Xeno Sep 26, 2019 3:33 pm

Even if train means security still better than m

SDQBound Sep 26, 2019 3:37 pm

When transiting at CDG, ALWAYS follow the signs, they will take you through the most convenient route to your departure gate. I don't see how an AF flight attendant would be in a position to recommend any transit path since they don't even walk around from one concourse to another, they are transported on a mini bus. In your case, following the directions would have sent you to 2E-L through the walkway between 2F and 2E-L and after clearing passport control, you could take the bus to 2M.

CPMaverick Sep 26, 2019 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Weekend Away (Post 31566772)
Neither EWR nor JFK have this policy.

How is that relevant? US immigration rules are far different than the EU. The USA has no exit immigration at all.

Weekend Away Sep 26, 2019 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick (Post 31567768)
How is that relevant? US immigration rules are far different than the EU. The USA has no exit immigration at all.

This has nothing to do with France immigration and everything to do with CDG policy on which immigration/security line you're allowed to use. If you have a valid boarding pass, you should be allowed to enter any of the terminals, regardless of which one your departing flight is out of.

And your comment about exit immigration is irrelevant.

CPMaverick Sep 26, 2019 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Weekend Away (Post 31567803)
This has nothing to do with France immigration and everything to do with CDG policy on which immigration/security line you're allowed to use. If you have a valid boarding pass, you should be allowed to enter any of the terminals, regardless of which one your departing flight is out of.

When you are dealing with passport control, and not just security screening, it isn't that simple.

Lux Flyer Sep 26, 2019 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by SDQBound (Post 31567499)
When transiting at CDG, ALWAYS follow the signs, they will take you through the most convenient route to your departure gate. I don't see how an AF flight attendant would be in a position to recommend any transit path since they don't even walk around from one concourse to another, they are transported on a mini bus. In your case, following the directions would have sent you to 2E-L through the walkway between 2F and 2E-L and after clearing passport control, you could take the bus to 2M.

Most convenient doesn't equal fastest. And why would an AF flight attendant be unqualified to give advice? They've been through CDG hundreds of times given AF is based there, and even if while as a crew member they ride a bus; they've likely flown as a non-rev or a regular passenger and have experience transiting the airport.

ND76 Sep 26, 2019 10:23 pm

Somehow I don't recall connecting westbound at CDG to be that terrible. The last time I was there was two years ago, on a WAW-CDG-IAD trip. The flight from WAW parked at a gate in 2F; we followed the signed route and we reached EU passport exit control; we got through that in 90 seconds; there was basically no line. The onward aircraft for IAD was parked at something like K38. We enjoyed the big AF salon in the lower level of the K concourse (the one that looks like a Washington DC Metro station).

SDQBound Sep 26, 2019 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer (Post 31568090)
...they've likely flown as a non-rev or a regular passenger and have experience transiting the airport...

Not according to a discussion I had with an AF FA about this topic.

TheMadBrewer Sep 26, 2019 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Nicoolio (Post 31566838)
So you think if I have a ticket on AA leaving T8 at JFK I can go through security at T7 the BA terminal?

At LAX you can. Just has to a boarding pass for that day.

gooselee Sep 26, 2019 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Weekend Away (Post 31566772)
I landed in 2E back in January and had an onward connection out of 2F. I wanted to use the better lounges at E but the red vest at passport refused me. It seems you're only allowed entry to the passport lines of the terminal which you are next departing. stupid policy of you ask me.

Neither EWR nor JFK have this policy.

Originally Posted by Weekend Away (Post 31567803)

And your comment about exit immigration is irrelevant.

Wut?

The comment about exit immigration is spot on. The policy you dislike at CDG doesn't exist at USA airports because it is impossible for it to exist - the US has no exit immigration lines at all thus there isn't anything to enforce regarding which passport lines you can and cannot use.

CPMaverick Sep 27, 2019 1:21 am

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer (Post 31568530)
At LAX you can. Just has to a boarding pass for that day.

This is true, and LAX twitter even confirmed it a few years ago (used to keep the screenshot). Unfortunately, I have run into problems with access based on whoever is working on the day, so I wouldn't count on it working without a bit of hassle at the least... Most recently I was made to go upstairs in TBIT rather than use the downstairs security 'for T4 only'.