Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta One seating question.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I see on the original seat map that 1B and 1C are open. I would highly, highly recommend these two over any other middle pair.

This is because the "ottoman" is nearly 3x the size of the non-bulkhead seat ottomans. There is no seat in front, so the full width of the seat is afforded to you as the ottoman.

That, and you get served first. It is close to the lavatories, but there is never any smell, and any worries of light from the bathroom door opening/closing should be assuaged because of the suite door that closes.
Not sure if the Delta One is identical on all plane types, but on our recent trip, we had "not first row" outbound. The "foot coffin" wasn't really impressive at all, which was a surprise. On the return flight, we had first row, and the foot enclosure was huge.

These did not have ottomans, so it seems that "Delta One" can differ dramatically.
In our case, it wasn't close to International F on other airlines, but we weren't expecting that.

The nicest surprise was the *comfort* of the seat cushioning, which was especially noticeable - and appreciated - for sleeping. Nice!

GC
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK there are no ottomans on current D1 flat bed seats. The 777s with (reverse?) herringbone had small ones (which looked like a facing visitor seat for a small slender child), but suites (A350 and 777) don't have ottomans and the 767s never did (nor did the 747s).
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
btonkid12345, goods tips and as you can see I picked 2B,2C based on your recco ( There is no 1B and 1C in seating chart)
Awesome! My experience was on an A350, which has 1B and 1C. This seems to be a refurbed 777 on JFK-BOM, so I would double check the 777 refurb thread to verify that the first row in the middle has the huge leg areas. I believe Rene's Points did a review and noted the entire first row on the 777 had the larger leg areas and were 2-3 inches longer than the rest of the suites.

In any case, since I've moved up to row 1 this last year, I love being served first/towards the beginning. You food doesn't end up overcooked, bread is warm, drinks are refilled quickly, and the flight attendants can always get you "more" because it takes them awhile to serve everyone behind you, so all the food items are still out in the galley.

When I've sat in the last row (not by choice, but I'll take it if its an OP UP), refills are harder to come by and I might miss the first pass of the dessert cart because my entree is served late. Its just not as optimal as towards the front.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
Not sure if the Delta One is identical on all plane types, but on our recent trip, we had "not first row" outbound. The "foot coffin" wasn't really impressive at all, which was a surprise. On the return flight, we had first row, and the foot enclosure was huge.

These did not have ottomans, so it seems that "Delta One" can differ dramatically.
In our case, it wasn't close to International F on other airlines, but we weren't expecting that.

The nicest surprise was the *comfort* of the seat cushioning, which was especially noticeable - and appreciated - for sleeping. Nice!

GC
Not all D1 cabins are the same. It sounds like you were on a 767 or D1 cabin that hasn't been upgraded to the "suites"
MSPeconomist and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Not all D1 cabins are the same. It sounds like you were on a 767 or D1 cabin that hasn't been upgraded to the "suites"
Yes, I think so.

But that seat had THICK comfy cushioning, which was a real treat. (I'm a side sleeper, and having something that my hip, and shoulder, can really sink into was soooo nice.)
I don't know quite what it was, but we both felt that cushioning was unusually "comfy".

And it was *flat*, so it was a great flight.
Traveling as a couple no doubt helped. With a stranger "there", it wouldn't have been as pleasant. But "we" didn't "need" separate little suites.

GC
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME the 767 D1 seats are uncomfortably hard for sleeping and wear hasn't improved them, although using the duvet as a mattress pad helps a lot.

If you were seated side by side and facing totally forward (not at an angle) without suites on D1, this would be a 767.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IME the 767 D1 seats are uncomfortably hard for sleeping and wear hasn't improved them, although using the duvet as a mattress pad helps a lot.

If you were seated side by side and facing totally forward (not at an angle) without suites on D1, this would be a 767.
Yes, side by side (2 - 2 per row), and facing fully forward, no angle. But IIRC, the 2 on each side were slightly offset, and not totally straight across. (This was the BOS-EDI flight last month, so it's easy to check.)

Very interesting if you found these "uncomfortably hard". Our experience/perception was quite the opposite.
But... that's why there are about 1,000 flavors of toothpaste!
(At least it's easier to customize one's own toothpaste when traveling!)

GC
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:01 pm

Yes, side by side (2 - 2 per row), and facing fully forward, no angle. But IIRC, the 2 on each side were slightly offset, and not totally straight across. (This was the BOS-EDI flight last month, so it's easy to check.)

Very interesting if you found these "uncomfortably hard". Our experience/perception was quite the opposite.
But... that's why there are about 1,000 flavors of toothpaste!
(At least it's easier to customize one's own toothpaste when traveling!)

GC
You were on a 757 (narrow body aircraft) with flat bed D1 seats, IIRC 16 of them in a 2-2 configuration, and very slightly angled.

The 767 is a wide body with 1-2-1 seating in D1.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:15 pm

You were on a 757 (narrow body aircraft) with flat bed D1 seats, IIRC 16 of them in a 2-2 configuration, and very slightly angled.

The 767 is a wide body with 1-2-1 seating in D1.
Hmmm....

Another "vote" against "eye-witness" testimony (re: angled)

Sorry for any confusion. This was our first Delta flight in... ages...
(Well, DH had a quickie flight a few months ago of something like 2 hour duration, for a quick one-day business meeting.)

Bottom line is we were both quite pleasantly surprised (except for the lounges, but that's separate).

Seems that these seat/beds are on their way out? Too bad; we would have enjoyed them for any TATL type hop, although maybe there aren't many of these seat/beds left by now.
To Asia, etc., we'd rather have more space, if possible. But these would certainly "do" if it came to that. (We've gotten too spoiled by lots of awards International F flights. We are trying to dial back expectations, as our luck with getting F's isn't going to last forever, alas.)

GC
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:22 pm

Hmmm....

Another "vote" against "eye-witness" testimony (re: angled)

Sorry for any confusion. This was our first Delta flight in... ages...
(Well, DH had a quickie flight a few months ago of something like 2 hour duration, for a quick one-day business meeting.)

Bottom line is we were both quite pleasantly surprised (except for the lounges, but that's separate).

Seems that these seat/beds are on their way out? Too bad; we would have enjoyed them for any TATL type hop, although maybe there aren't many of these seat/beds left by now.
To Asia, etc., we'd rather have more space, if possible. But these would certainly "do" if it came to that. (We've gotten too spoiled by lots of awards International F flights. We are trying to dial back expectations, as our luck with getting F's isn't going to last forever, alas.)

GC
No, the 757 seats are presumably staying for a while, although the 757s are only used for smaller routes such as northern UK, LIS, CPH, and some low season flights. The main hub to partner hub TATL and TPAC routes almost always use wide body aircraft.

The 757 D1 seats are also ever so slightly staggered to improve aisle access. They look a little bit weird, but they're perfectly comfortable if you don't mind the lack of 100% direct aisle access. In fact, I think they're wider than other D1 seats but that could be an illusion since they're not surrounded by walls.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
This is why the footwells in row 1 on this plane were no big deal. In row 1 of the 757s, the footwells are the same as the other three rows. I believe it is the only Delta One configuration where the footwells in row 1 aren't larger.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
This is why the footwells in row 1 on this plane were no big deal. In row 1 of the 757s, the footwells are the same as the other three rows. I believe it is the only Delta One configuration where the footwells in row 1 aren't larger.
Last time I flew D1 on a 757, the footwells definitely seemed bigger in row 1.

Certainly helped that 1A was empty when I was in 1B, so I could just scooch on over and have privacy and plenty of space.
acrophobia likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by ekozie
Last time I flew D1 on a 757, the footwells definitely seemed bigger in row 1.

Certainly helped that 1A was empty when I was in 1B, so I could just scooch on over and have privacy and plenty of space.
When we were on this plane, outbound and return, the footwells in the first, "bulkhead". row were definitely wider, very noticeably so. We were in second row, A&B outbound, and we could see how much larger the footwell was across the way, given that there was a slight "offset", so we had a great view "into" the foot area. And someone moved from back further to take one of those seats (both were empty upon takeoff) specifically for that reason.

We had already reserved those front RHS (facing forward), and in addition to "looking wider", the footwells were so much more comfortable... and there was quite a bit more space under the "foot shelf" as well, for storage during the flight.

GC
acrophobia likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:46 pm

Off topic. I despise when the window shades are opened on a long haul flight. Most annoying thing ever. Apologies ... carry on.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:49 pm

When we were on this plane, outbound and return, the footwells in the first, "bulkhead". row were definitely wider, very noticeably so. We were in second row, A&B outbound, and we could see how much larger the footwell was across the way, given that there was a slight "offset", so we had a great view "into" the foot area. And someone moved from back further to take one of those seats (both were empty upon takeoff) specifically for that reason.

We had already reserved those front RHS (facing forward), and in addition to "looking wider", the footwells were so much more comfortable... and there was quite a bit more space under the "foot shelf" as well, for storage during the flight.

GC
FYI: All passenger seats on all DL aircraft face forward. BA is the carrier that's known for having some rear facing seats in business class, but there might be other examples (QF? UA?).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.