Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Successful seat poacher on ATL-MDW today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

I was in 3C and 3D was empty until door close. Heard the GA tell the FA she will send over who to upgrade.

Guy from 10C moves into 3D. Prior to take off FA asks him for proof he was upgraded and he shows him his boarding pass on the app showing 10C.

FA never returns and we leave with the poacher in 3D.

Had to use the restroom and out of morbid curiosity ask the FA if my seat mate poached the seat. He confirmed yes and that a million miler in the exit row should have gotten the seat.

Crazy part is the poacher was in 10C with no one in 10B and more legroom than 3D (737-700) and free drinks.

Had a diamond tag hanging from his backpack.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by apodo77
out of morbid curiosity ask the FA if my seat mate poached the seat. He confirmed yes and that a million miler in the exit row should have gotten the seat.
So... why did the FA let him stay there?
manacit, FlyingNone, TXguy and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Let's hope that the MMer in the exit row reads FT and complains to DL....or OP could report this to DL, as the FA willfully allowed Mr 10C/3D to steal an upgrade from an elite who earned it. Did the FA seem to know the poacher at all?
RoyalFlush and becks1 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
So... why did the FA let him stay there?
Good question and no clue. Wondered the same but in DL’s obsession to leave on time and early we had already pushed back early. Perhaps the FA didn’t think it was worth it to delay the flight.

Last edited by apodo77; Aug 14, 2019 at 2:14 am
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Have we considered that the rightful heir to the seat sent the other guy as a token of charity?
Old Hickory likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
I've been upgraded on taxi before...at least the FA came back to me after push back, told me of the upgrade and that I can move up there after we reach cruise. So it sounds like a lazy FA. And if the MM in the exit row had been watching his app, he would have noticed the bump. That would have made for more entertainment.
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
again, another self entitled idiot.... unless the FA start to do something.. this will continue
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by fotographer
again, another self entitled idiot.... unless the FA start to do something.. this will continue
Yea and I bet the SOB put his backpack in the overhead bin...too.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
The one detail that seems odd to me is that the FA referred to the person who was supposed to get the upgrade as a "million miler" while the person who sat in the F seat was apparently a DM. Of course the MM could have also been a DM, but MM status on its own has no impact on upgrade priority, AFAIK.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
WFPF (want first poach first).
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
but MM status on its own has no impact on upgrade priority, AFAIK.
In my experience, with both my wife and I being DM, but only me being MM, there have been several bookings where she should have had priority in upgrading:
- booked earlier (same fare class)
- she had Amex spend, I did not
- Alphabetically, she is ahead of me (no matter in upgrade priority, just throwing it in there)

But several times, on domestic upgrades and GUC usage for TPACs, I get upgraded first every time.
I mentioned this to a DM call desk agent, and she mentioned that MM status definitely matters.

But I'll agree, there is no written verbiage stating it.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
Wow, that was ballsy of 10C. Even if I had no morals or social norm concerns, I still think I'd be terrified I'd get called out in front of everyone if caught. I only presume 10C got away with this in the past and is emboldened to continue doing it.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
The one detail that seems odd to me is that the FA referred to the person who was supposed to get the upgrade as a "million miler" while the person who sat in the F seat was apparently a DM. Of course the MM could have also been a DM, but MM status on its own has no impact on upgrade priority, AFAIK.
I believe it’s because on the FAs “SkyPro” seating chart, their status is indicated by a color, but if the pax is a MM, it says MM on the seat icon in addition to the seat color.

Here is a unique video that I found that shows what I’m talking about. (Go to the 0:55 mark if you don’t want to watch the whole video)
mayhem and WhizWheel like this.

Last edited by MCO Flyer; Aug 14, 2019 at 12:31 pm
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Collierkr
Have we considered that the rightful heir to the seat sent the other guy as a token of charity?
I did. but then quickly woke up and discarded the notion! not possible in these times/age/country!
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
Yea and I bet the SOB put his backpack in the overhead bin...too.
Yep. I also took off my shoes and socks. And I rested my bare feet on the armrests belonging to 2D...after I was done cutting my toenails, of course.
apodo77, Thysk and jeet like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.