Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A grand congratulations to Northwest/Delta Flight Attendant Joan Crandall

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A grand congratulations to Northwest/Delta Flight Attendant Joan Crandall

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:59 pm

Joan Crandall? Isn't she Bob's wife? All those years an inside spy for AA!!! Just kidding.

Congratulations!!

As for routes she bids, based upon other senior FA's on AA (not DL) I've spoken with, she might choose an ultra long-haul turn trip, only needing to work it 3 or 4 times a month to hit her quota for continued benefits.

Airline pilots are required to retire at 65, so 62 may be a bit young to require FA's to retire.

I did think that FA's had to pass annual safety drills which included emergency simulations with opening the door and also exiting through a window exit. So reading av8tr22's observations at the gate is a little scary.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
To be honest I don't think that having a maximum age really makes sense, and in some jurisdictions might be considered discriminatory.
Probably NOT. Everyone likes to pull the discrimination card

Many forms of discrimination are perfectly legal:
  • As I just mentioned a few posts up, airline pilots must retire at 65.
  • We do not allow adults (age of majority is 18 in USA) who are 18-20 to purchase or consume alcoholic beverages.
  • Most restaurants will not allow those under age 60 to order from the senior menu with reduced prices.
  • Delta charges extra $150 each way for passengers between age 5 to 15 if they travel alone.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:25 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Rbt001

• We do not allow adults (age of majority is 18 in USA) who are 18-20 to purchase or consume alcoholic beverages.
  • Most restaurants will not allow those under age 60 to order from the senior menu with reduced prices.
  • Delta charges extra $150 each way for passengers between age 5 to 15 if they travel alone.
More generically, BFOQ:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bona_f..._qualification

IANAL but since mandatory retirement by age exists for certain professions, I assume that courts have held that in certain cases using age as a proxy for skill/ability is permissible in the case of certain jobs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandatory_retirement

"Mandatory retirement is generally unlawful in the United States, except in certain industries and occupations that are regulated by law, and are often part of the government (such as military service and federal police agencies, such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation)."

Absent that the "safe" way to get around age discrimination might be to phrase a job requirement as "must be able to lift __ pounds" to help passengers evacuate in the event of a emergency etc.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Originally Posted by Rbt001

Well it is discrimination. Just wouldn't be illegal discrimination.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by av8tr22

This. I was on DL147 from ATL-SCL one day last week, and one of the FA’s had to be pushing 80. It could have been Joan (didn’t see her name tag). She was so frail, hunched over and couldn’t stand up straight. Before boarding, when the crew arrived at the gate, she pulled out her badge to open the jetway door and she couldn’t even open the door....the gate agent had to help her open it.

All for celebrating milestones, but there should absolutely be a minimum age for FA’s. There was no way this woman would be saving anyone; God forbid something ever happens. Someone would be saving her.
I had an expert witness (i.e. FA on a recent flight) analyze your post and she says that FAs NEVER open the jetway door, that it is always the gate agents who open it.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by CloneCones
Well it is discrimination. Just wouldn't be illegal discrimination.
Yes, I agree. However most people who are quick to yell: "that's discrimination," do so implying it's illegal and shouldn't happen.

It's perfectly LEGAL for the following to occur:

Angry gate agent announces: "May I have the attention of all those passengers in the gate area for flight #123 . If you are wearing green today, please approach the podium." After those wearing green assemble: "None of you will be on this flight today. There will be no arguments or further explanation other than to tell you I hate green. So your best option is to head over to the re-accommodation counter to get on another flight!"

Of course while this is legal, it's rather impractical and probably wouldn't happen-- simply because the servers that host FlyTalk Forums would MELTDOWN.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
I had an expert witness (i.e. FA on a recent flight) analyze your post and she says that FAs NEVER open the jetway door, that it is always the gate agents who open it.
Yes, but in the case of an emergency, there won't likely be a gate agent standing outside to help open it.
IndyHoosier and bloc0102 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Yes, but in the case of an emergency, there won't likely be a gate agent standing outside to help open it.
Right, but I am questioning the poster's observation that she was unable to open the door to the jetway... the fact that a gate agent HAS to open the door, means that he likely misinterpreted... the old lady was standing by the door, and the gate agent came to open to because she had to, not because the old lady could not open it. - that's my take. Maybe the lady was so old she forgot it was locked and that is why it looked like she was too weak to open it.
Mr. Tickets and Widgets like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Congrats Joan!

I do agree with the slightly off topic point regarding the physical ability to do the FA job. I don't care if you are 21, 51 or 71, FAs should be in good enough physical and mental health to help ensure passenger safety. And if they can't, they should be forced to retire.

And don't get me started on how women may be hindered from ensuring my safety by wearing a skirt and heels. Ugh.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:53 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I've witnessed FAs on DL and other airlines who were very young but I wouldn't have any confidence that they would be able to move quickly or have any kind of stamina should CPR or some other emergency procedure need to be followed.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:07 am

Some real armchair Thurgood Marshalls in this thread.
haveric, OHDL1 and jdrtravel like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Right, but I am questioning the poster's observation that she was unable to open the door to the jetway... the fact that a gate agent HAS to open the door, means that he likely misinterpreted... the old lady was standing by the door, and the gate agent came to open to because she had to, not because the old lady could not open it. - that's my take. Maybe the lady was so old she forgot it was locked and that is why it looked like she was too weak to open it.
I've definitely seen flight and cabin crew pop in and out of the jetway door on their own before a gate agent officially opens it.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 4MM; HHonors Diamond
Ah, FlyerTalk ! Only here can we take a congratulatory thread and turn it into a flame-fest.

As for me, congratulations Joan ! May the days in front of you be at least as good as those behind !
In2ishn, HDQDD, jdrtravel and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
The flight was oversold by 14 or so, and all three gate agents barely looked up when the flight crew arrived. I most certainly did watch this woman scan her badge and attempt to open the jetway door. In fact, I flew for work twice this week and observed both flight attendants and pilots open the jetway door.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
I've definitely seen flight and cabin crew pop in and out of the jetway door on their own before a gate agent officially opens it.
She was Atlanta based, and again, I watched her scan her badge and punch in a 4 digit code and attempt to open the door. The gate agent noticed she was struggling and walked over to open it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.