Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta fares went up by 50% in a week!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by steex
Agreed. And to each his own, but as an SJC-based Delta flyer, I will take one of the 12-14 Southwest nonstops when I fly to San Diego virtually every time.
+1. The BE surcharge made WN the easy choice for intra-CA flying, but some people have a pathological hatred of WN so I don't try to push it..
jmw and cmx like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:56 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I think there's an extra "s" in the title of the thread, after the "fare"
Old Aug 1, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by findark
$120 is a pretty reasonable price for the Friday of Labor Day weekend, I would say.
For most of the country, $120 would be very reasonable any time for a flight of that length.
moondog, Air Houston and hi55us like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:18 am
Original Poster

+1. The BE surcharge made WN the easy choice for intra-CA flying, but some people have a pathological hatred of WN so I don't try to push it..
What is this BE surcharge?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fromYXU
I show up Monday to buy a shirt at Macy’s. It was 50% off yesterday but full price today. So, it’s Macy’s fault?

Prices are a dynamic thing. In all markets.
Wrong analogy - you can return a shirt but not (budget) air ticket.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sciconf
What is this BE surcharge?
When Basic Economy was introduced in the short-haul California market, the legacies chose to match Southwest's fares using Basic Economy fares. So, to receive a full-service Economy product you need to pay more to fly a legacy carrier than to fly WN. I once might have chosen UA/DL for C+ or its equivalent and a shot at a free upgrade, but for what's now a $35 per direction upsell the idea of paying almost 50% extra to "stay loyal" is in my mind absurd. Not to mention WN has a superior schedule (eg. they actually fly SJC-SAN unlike DL), no CR2s, and no change fees.
jmw likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by sciconf
I am traveling end of next month and I delayed booking by a week (thinking of transferring remaining points from AMEX).
Fare went up by 50% by yesterday.

I didn't foresee that kind of increase - I was also earning points on Delta - another miscalculation - they only gave me 1300 points for traveling 4k miles! I didn't think of booking using MR points on AMEX travel - I had gone blank! Now 50% more points! Even coaches are charging as high as airplanes!
IMO this is a lot of angst over $40. (Current fare is $120, calculating out as a 50% increase from $80.)

Cheers,
David
moondog, DLdweeb, ats262 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:55 pm
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
When Basic Economy was introduced in the short-haul California market, the legacies chose to match Southwest's fares using Basic Economy fares. So, to receive a full-service Economy product you need to pay more to fly a legacy carrier than to fly WN. I once might have chosen UA/DL for C+ or its equivalent and a shot at a free upgrade, but for what's now a $35 per direction upsell the idea of paying almost 50% extra to "stay loyal" is in my mind absurd. Not to mention WN has a superior schedule (eg. they actually fly SJC-SAN unlike DL), no CR2s, and no change fees.
I don't disagree that Southwest is the hands-down winner in California, particularly given prices, but I'm going full flyertalk (apologies)--are there CR2s still lingering out west?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmx
I don't disagree that Southwest is the hands-down winner in California, particularly given prices, but I'm going full flyertalk (apologies)--are there CR2s still lingering out west?
On UA, plenty... believe DL is all E75s but they also just flat out don't serve most of the routes so a coin toss whether that's better or worse than the Chariot
moondog and cmx like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.