Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

When is DL iOS app going to conquer gate alerts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz

Yet again flying OKC-ATL-STR, I could not get the ATL arrival and departure gates on the DL app while in flight (OKC-ATL).

If the iOS DL app was on top of gate announcements and changes that would keep me from having to buy expensive third party apps.

I was very satisfied with price and features of Flight Track Pro, but Expedia destroyed the app. I then went to Flight Update Pro and now they are pricing me out of the market. I am beta testing Flighty which is feature rich but likely might be costly. These apps send alerts not only to my iPhone but also my Apple Watch which is where I first see such things.

I am told by the owner of Flight Update Pro that their boost in subscription prices reflects a change of policy by Trip It that charges them for each and every request. This, of course, is magnified by Apple family sharing accounts.

I have tested but am not satisfied with App in the Air, Kayak, and TripCase.

So do I need to go ahead and subscribe to Flighty or is there any hope the DL iOS app will improve alerts that not only go to my iPhone but my Apple Watch?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:49 am

Where were you looking in the app to get your arrival gate? I’m confused. Was the page not loading, or was the arrival gate field empty, or was it wrong? AFAIK gate assignments are visible in the app 3 hours before departure. Whether the app itself is working is another issue.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:51 am
Original Poster

I was looking at the BP visible in the app (not an eBP in my Wallet). I also check Flight Status on the app.

I did not know about the 3 hour rule for DL’s app, but at least three other apps gave me a departure gate (E5) for ATL-STR while DL app was silent (blank).
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: DL
Not sure if I understand the value of gate alerts. If my connection is close, I don’t care about my gate until I’m walking off the plane. If my connection is >3 hours, I certainly do not care for a while, I’ll just go to B/E/F for whatever the best Sky Club is at the time.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Xeno
I was looking at the BP visible in the app (not an eBP in my Wallet). I also check Flight Status on the app.

I did not know about the 3 hour rule for DL’s app, but at least three other apps gave me a departure gate (E5) for ATL-STR while DL app was silent (blank).
I think the app waits until closer to departure to post gate assignments so people won’t go to the wrong gate and sit there, then blame the airline for having a gate change that they didn’t realize. Flight status in the app < 3 hours should be showing gate assignments, though.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dlflyer00
Not sure if I understand the value of gate alerts. If my connection is close, I don’t care about my gate until I’m walking off the plane. If my connection is >3 hours, I certainly do not care for a while, I’ll just go to B/E/F for whatever the best Sky Club is at the time.
I prefer to go to a lounge near the departure gate to make optimum use of the layover.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Widgets

I think the app waits until closer to departure to post gate assignments so people won’t go to the wrong gate and sit there, then blame the airline for having a gate change that they didn’t realize. Flight status in the app < 3 hours should be showing gate assignments, though.
My typical ATL layover is <3 hours and I have no memory of the DL app showing me the departure gate for an international flight while flying OKC-ATL.

My memory about domestic flights is less clear as the dynamics are different for me, at least.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Perhaps one difference between me and the responses so far is that (1) most of my trips are international and (2) OKC-ATL can arrive at B, C, D, T, etc.

Gate information is important even for domestic flights going through MSP where I get disoriented and SLC where the connection is usually very right.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Have you tried looking at FlightAware? It’s free and you can see the anticipated gate. I sometimes doublecheck based on the inbound gate.

What this doesnt help with is when there’s an equipment swap.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emma dog
Have you tried looking at FlightAware? It’s free and you can see the anticipated gate. I sometimes doublecheck based on the inbound gate.

I do use FA on occasion, but I prefer an app that syncs to TripIt and sends alerts to my AW.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Have you tried the Kayak app? It doesn't sync to trip it, but provides effectively the same functionality as well as gate change information and apple watch notifications.
ConnieDee likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by emma dog

I always use FlightAware for gates. It has them even when the DL app does not.
ConnieDee likes this.

Last edited by apodo77; Jul 19, 2019 at 8:18 am
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Have you tried the Kayak app? It doesn't sync to trip it, but provides effectively the same functionality as well as gate change information and apple watch notifications.
I mentioned Kayak in my OP and in fact it does sync to TripIt. Until subscription changes on July 1, my first choice was Flight Update Pro. For the moment I flip between AppInTheAir and Kayak.

Since we can access the DL app free during flights, it would help if information for arrival and departure gates was visible so that I can chart out my run through ATL, et al..
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Click the "Flight details" button at the bottom of the app. That shows both arrival and departure gates. That has always worked for me.

FYI - The app does not assign or choose when to show gates, operations does, usually 90-180 minutes before departure (depending on the airport and IROPS).
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Click the "Flight details" button at the bottom of the app. That shows both arrival and departure gates. That has always worked for me.

FYI - The app does not assign or choose when to show gates, operations does, usually 90-180 minutes before departure (depending on the airport and IROPS).
I know where to find these data when they finally appear in the DL app. However, my third party apps show me exact gates one day prior to departure. Of course, any gate assignment is subject to change up until the last minute but these data are available to those who chose to utilize it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.