Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Destinations with best odds that GUC's will clear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:24 am
Original Poster

DW & I have $1050 Delta credit vouchers and 2 GUC,s each. We would love to go from Atlanta to Australia, SE Asia or JNB in the fall with very flexible dates.

Ideal trip would be (DL2143 ATL- LAX – DL41 SYD, DL41 SYD - LAX – DL1954 ATL) There are lots of dates where FC is wide open on all legs.

Do I have reason to be concerned that if booking to SYD our GUC's might not clear? If so are there destinations where we would have much better odds than others?

FYI: Wife is Delta MM and GM (was DM last year when the credit vouchers were issued)
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SYD and JNB are very difficult for upgrades into D1 in general.

Are you based in ATL or starting from elsewhere?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:41 am
Original Poster

ATL. However, If originating somewhere else changes the odds significantly, than we would consider that.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
You will not clear JNB. Forget it-Dont try. SYD is unlikely, but it heavily depends when you go.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: DL DM
As others will likely point out, SYD and JNB are hard routes to upgrade. Having said that, why don’t you call DL and ask whether they have any dates available to either of these two places where they can confirm 2 GUCs for you over the time period with your availability. Rather than debate whether you are flexible or not with others in this site, you’ll have factual information to such availability today. It would be fair to note that DL can and will change how many seats they release for GUCs over time but you’ll have a current view today. You can always plan on calling back multiple times.

My personal view is that you’ll have a hard time making it work for both of these destinations. We do have full solar eclipses that take place every once in a while so you may end up getting lucky.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
For the record, I’ve never had a problem clearing immediately into D1 on GUCs to either SYD (from LAX) or JNB (from ATL).

I only needed a little date flexibility. Agents cleared me over the phone at time of booking, and I was able to select seats as well.

I could be an anomaly, of course.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts. We have called and there was nothing available for SYD that they would immediately clear on booking. However, that was over a month ago and we have not tried again. We will keep trying for SYD and JNB.

Are there any long haul alternative destinations that have high likelihood of success? My wife frequently (3 - 5 times a year) flew up front to Asia and Europe for work but I never have. It is the D1 experience that is the higher priority for us on this trip. We will make an adventure out of most destinations except China. She traveled there for work yearly and is not on her vacation list.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:14 am

LAX>HND on the new A359 is usually pretty successful. I just flew in March and was able to successfully apply GUCs at booking both ways even though I booked inside 7 days from departure.

ETA: My return was HND>MSP>LAX on a 77L, I believe.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If OP and spouse are traveling together, they might prefer seats where they can converse rather than the suites for D1. The A330 or even a 767 might work better for them.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If OP and spouse are traveling together, they might prefer seats where they can converse rather than the suites for D1. The A330 or even a 767 might work better for them.
Pffft! That’s girl-talk. Don’t confuse him.

Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. We will get on the phone this afternoon to work a SYD or JNB trip. If no success, we will research what our plan C & D trip will be.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:23 am

Check the rules for your vouchers carefully. You might need to complete all travel before they expire, which might be a year after the original ticket was issued.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
LOL We would choose D1. We can talk about it when we get there. Moreover, two or three times a year we are 1 & 2 on the upgrade list with 1 seat left. The only thing she loves more than me is sitting up front.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by PhoneyPersona
LOL We would choose D1. We can talk about it when we get there. Moreover, two or three times a year we are 1 & 2 on the upgrade list with 1 seat left. The only thing she loves more than me is sitting up front.
She’s a keeper!

btonkid12345 and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
There are numerous threads about GUCs to JNB and SYD.

Here is one of my last ones where I looked at routing through PVG then using MU to reach SYD:

Buy 2 one-ways to SYD to capture OP early?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.