Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy for family

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jebr
...or to simply ban bookings of basic economy tickets for at least one adult and any children under the age where they could travel alone
Agreed. One could argue on the exact age they cut it off, but they know the DOB of the passengers they should not allow BE in that context. We all know it is going to cause a situation... Sadly they won't do it because the whole point is going after Southwest, and the like, customers with the low fares.

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
I don’t know why people think the airline should be responsible for making sure your child is Sakely Cedar. They did not tell you to have the child, they are not raising the child for you. You need to make a decision based on your wrist tolerance as to whether you could handle your child being seat away from you. If you can’t buy the more expensive ticket. I was flying back-and-forth to places at that age on my own, so I could’ve been said anywhere on the plane and been just fine.

But clams the airlines discriminate against person by offering you an option they don’t like just makes no sense. They are not the ones who forced you to Reproduce. . You made that decision when you had the kid . Do you get free groceries because you have to buy more food than you did when you didn’t have a kid? Is the grocery store discriminating against you by making you pay more to feed the child? I don’t understand the entitlement that appears to be an existing with airline seats.
Agreed. I have kids and I won't buy BE and we pay extra for seat selection on airlines that do it that way. The onus is on the parents. Calling it discrimination is silly. Are child tax credits discrimination against those without kids? You already get extra money because you have kids, spend it on Main Cabin over BE.
altabello likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Furthermore, because DL apparently has a legal obligation to seat them together
Actually if you read the whole context, there's an exception for peeps seated in different cabin classes (i.e. BE and Y). The easy solution would be for airlines to not allow <13 kids on BE fares.

From WaPo:
"There is an exception for when such a seat assignment would require an upgrade to another cabin class or a seat with extra legroom or seat pitch, for which additional fees generally are required."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...517_story.html
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes they will almost certainly be seated together. Dont have info for delta but many airlines (including lcc) have policies requiring it and in years of flying with or without kids i have never seen a young kid seated separately involuntarily. Airlines do not want any liability possibly associated with that.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by HDQDD
The easy solution would be for airlines to not allow <13 kids on BE fares.
Except that harms Delta. There are people that are THAT price sensitive and they just wouldn't go if they had to pay the higher fare.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
People want cheap fares which led to a huge unbundling of fare attributes. The problem is that some people think there is always a special case that shouldn't count.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by indufan
Except that harms Delta. There are people that are THAT price sensitive and they just wouldn't go if they had to pay the higher fare.
I'm not advocating for that, but it would be a quick and dirty way to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Actually found the text from the bill (below). It's rather vague. "To the maximum extent possible" could include asking pax to swap onboard. If they won't/don't then I suppose it rises to the "Maximum extent possible" test.

I wonder if the secretary reviewed it and found it "appropriate"?! Nothing like making a decree as long as someone reviews it and finds it "appropriate"...
(d) Family Seating.--Not later than 1 year after the date
of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall review and,
if appropriate, establish a policy directing all air carriers
to ensure that, if a family is traveling on a reservation
with a child under the age of 13, that child is able to sit
in a seat adjacent to the seat of an accompanying family
member over the age of 13, to the maximum extent practicable,
at no additional cost.
https://www.congress.gov/crec/2016/0...-PgS1876-3.htm
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by defrosted
Agreed. I have kids and I won't buy BE and we pay extra for seat selection on airlines that do it that way. The onus is on the parents. Calling it discrimination is silly.
I also don't buy BE seats and never would. However, I'm thinking about the family of five who takes the once a year trip to see grandma. Buying main cabin seats instead of BE for five people could easily be a $300-$400 difference, or more. If you are a family who is strapped for cash, as so many American families are, that's a pretty crappy choice that the airline has just presented you with, especially if your kids are really young.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I'm not advocating for that, but it would be a quick and dirty way to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Actually found the text from the bill (below). It's rather vague. "To the maximum extent possible" could include asking pax to swap onboard. If they won't/don't then I suppose it rises to the "Maximum extent possible" test.

I wonder if the secretary reviewed it and found it "appropriate"?! Nothing like making a decree as long as someone reviews it and finds it "appropriate"...

https://www.congress.gov/crec/2016/0...-PgS1876-3.htm
You left out one minor detail. The legislative proposal never passed and it was not and is not law!

There are all manner of proposals floating out there regarding family seating, but they are not law and the fact that some Senator proposed something means absolutely nothing.

For those who suggest that DL should not sell BE fares for those <13, that is simply silly. Plenty of 12 YOA and a good deal younger are capable of and want to be seated "alone" (not fly alone, but simply not be seated immediately next to a parent).
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I also don't buy BE seats and never would. However, I'm thinking about the family of five who takes the once a year trip to see grandma. Buying main cabin seats instead of BE for five people could easily be a $300-$400 difference, or more. If you are a family who is strapped for cash, as so many American families are, that's a pretty crappy choice that the airline has just presented you with, especially if your kids are really young.
Not a crappy choice at all — in fact, just the opposite. It gives you a choice, where before BE you had no choice at all. But now it seems so many people want to pay BE fares and get regular economy perqs (and I realize "basic economy perqs" is a contradiction in terms).

Should I be entitled to a FC seat at a regular economy fare? Of course not. There's a reason one is cheaper and the other more expensive.
Newman55 and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Shombolar
Not a crappy choice at all — in fact, just the opposite. It gives you a choice, where before BE you had no choice at all. But now it seems so many people want to pay BE fares and get regular economy perqs .

Wrong. As countless FTers regularly point out, BE fares use to be just the lowest regular economy fares. Delta did not introduce a cheaper fare. Delta removed amenities that they used to provide for that price point.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Buy the fare you want. If you want an assigned seat, please DON’T buy BE. Don’t make me give up my seat for your kid because you were too cheap to pay the extra $20, fly southwest, take Amtrak, drive, use a dromedary, etc. Not my problem.
OHDL1, Shombolar and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by DCLoppy
Every kid is different, but MOST 9 year olds would be just fine sitting alone. If the parent is within a few rows, especially so. And if there are special needs that make that not the case, then pick a different flight or fare.
BS. 9 year olds should be seated next to at least one parent. Period.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta doesn’t allow Passengers of Size to purchase BE fares because they can’t guarantee adjacent seating. Same should go for kids. Or they should allow EXST purchases of BE fares and guarantee 2 seats together.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Delta doesn’t allow Passengers of Size to purchase BE fares because they can’t guarantee adjacent seating. Same should go for kids. Or they should allow EXST purchases of BE fares and guarantee 2 seats together.
This is AA’s policy. (Under 15 seated next to one adult).
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ic-economy.jsp
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I agree with your first statement. BE customers should assume that they will be assigned middle seats. This is what not being entitled to pick or change seats means......Alternatively families using BE fares could be required at purchase to check a box saying that they understand that kids can have seats alone and the parent(s) vouch that this is acceptable as the kid is mature enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.