Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fun ways to save money on DL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Fun ways to save money on DL

I enjoy traveling, even IROPS, so I sometimes do things that are crazy to most people, but I travel more and spend less (which is a combination I like as much as chocolate and peanut butter).

So, today when I booked my flight CHA-ATL-PIT r/t to save money over the ATL-PIT route I wondered what are some of the other oddities that people experience?

I'll save about $200 and get an extra 1000 MQMs for an extra 45 minutes (or so) on the road early in the morning and again late at night, and its all worth it because I get to experience CHA for the first time.

What are some fun ways you save money on DL?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Sometimes the airfares from the US to the major Scandinavian cities are considerable less than those to AMS and CDG. Three or four years ago I planned a two-week trip to Paris but booked MSP-CPH-MSP, with connections in AMS on the outbound and CDG on the return. IIRC, the fare difference was around $800, half of which bought me a rail pass. I enjoyed a couple of days in Copenhagen, then took the train, my favorite kind of transportation, to and from Paris. I probably could have saved more with budget flights, but the train travel was part of the fun.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Sometimes the airfares from the US to the major Scandinavian cities are considerable less than those to AMS and CDG. Three or four years ago I planned a two-week trip to Paris but booked MSP-CPH-MSP, with connections in AMS on the outbound and CDG on the return. IIRC, the fare difference was around $800, half of which bought me a rail pass. I enjoyed a couple of days in Copenhagen, then took the train, my favorite kind of transportation, to and from Paris. I probably could have saved more with budget flights, but the train travel was part of the fun.
Oh that is a fantastic idea. I'll have to look into that later this summer.

Usually I fly ATL-LAX and then LAX-AMS for about the same price as ATL-AMS, but I do love the European train system.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:54 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I love IROPS because I got travel insurance and free time
DiverDave and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Sometimes the airfares from the US to the major Scandinavian cities are considerable less than those to AMS and CDG.
Like now - I’m flying RDU-PRG/ARN-RDU for about $2300 in D1 mid-Aug-Sept. But I think this may be an RDU special.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wimsta
I enjoy traveling, even IROPS, so I sometimes do things that are crazy to most people, but I travel more and spend less (which is a combination I like as much as chocolate and peanut butter).

So, today when I booked my flight CHA-ATL-PIT r/t to save money over the ATL-PIT route I wondered what are some of the other oddities that people experience?

I'll save about $200 and get an extra 1000 MQMs for an extra 45 minutes (or so) on the road early in the morning and again late at night, and its all worth it because I get to experience CHA for the first time.

What are some fun ways you save money on DL?
I am like you and take extra flights wherever it is cheaper or even the same price. Connections are fun, so count me in the crazy category.

I did this scenario a while back:
YVR>MSP>DTW>BNA
because it was a little cheaper than
YVR>MSP(or SEA)>BNA

I thought it was fun. Although now my segment count is an odd number, which is weird.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I look at weather patterns for the year and book when I think there is most likely to be a weather waiver. It has saved me and made me money as at my destination SDQ when there is overbooking a lot of people don't volunteer and I've got 800 dollars four times in the past year.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I had a blast in Copenhagen for 2 days. I’ll remember this next time I book to Europe. Wouldn’t mind a couple more days there.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
I am doing BHX-AMS-BRU-JFK r/t (EU with KL, TATL with DL) with a 12+ hr stopover in schiphol on both ways. This wouldn't appeal to most people when you can do a direct flight in 7 hours... but:

Firstly I saved $500+ compared to direct flights.

Secondly I get buckloads of flying blue XP, with just 1 trip.

And finally, I have friends to visit in holland and belgium so I actually benefit from the long stopovers.

Even better than win/win, this is win/win/win!
apodo77 and Thysk like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by apodo77

I had a blast in Copenhagen for 2 days. I’ll remember this next time I book to Europe. Wouldn’t mind a couple more days there.
Did you go to Pusher Street before or after you visited the Little Mermaid?

Also hope you went to Tivoli Gardens in the evening.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
Originally Posted by Wimsta
Oh that is a fantastic idea. I'll have to look into that later this summer.

Usually I fly ATL-LAX and then LAX-AMS for about the same price as ATL-AMS, but I do love the European train system.
Seems like just about any kind of routine that involves a TATL leg NOT originating out of ATL is going to save hundreds. I always look at ex-JFK but LAX is a whole new level of saving + mileage running.

Also, I have used CHA as my origin on a couple of trips to save at least $200-300 and add a couple segments + 1000 MQM. It’s a nice little airport, but the risk is your CRJ flight gets cancelled and the delays can turn into easily a day lost out of your trip.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:51 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by GlobeTrttr83

Seems like just about any kind of routine that involves a TATL leg NOT originating out of ATL is going to save hundreds. I always look at ex-JFK but LAX is a whole new level of saving + mileage running.

Also, I have used CHA as my origin on a couple of trips to save at least $200-300 and add a couple segments + 1000 MQM. It’s a nice little airport, but the risk is your CRJ flight gets cancelled and the delays can turn into easily a day lost out of your trip.
The great thing about Delta is they would probably be willing to let you drive down to ATL and hop on a nonstop flight if you ask nicely. They've let me do this with other airports before.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:01 am

In November 2001 I was flying from my home in the Midwest US to Eastern Europe. I usually flew from my little local airport to MSP, then either AMS-DESTINATION or DTW-AMS-DESTINATION. One year I was very close to hitting the gold level of Northwest Airlines' frequent flier status. I needed only a couple thousand miles more than this trip would give me. I played around with routes, and I discovered that I could book it as a multi-city trip including ANC for no extra cost. In fact, it was a few dollars cheaper! I don't remember the exact price, but I ended up paying $500-something for the entire trip: Home-ANC-Eastern Europe-Home.

I ended up flying HOME-MSP-ANC-MSP-DTW-AMS-DESTINATION. My layover in Anchorage was about 8 hours. I didn't even have to stay at the airport. I have relatives who lived about an hour away at the time, so my cousin picked me up and showed me around. It was a great little diversion!

I didn't do this to save money, although it was a bit cheaper. I did it for the extra miles.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
As a few others have said, it's not always just about saving money, but making those most of the flights without blowing your budget. So if you can save a few bucks and get a few extra MQMs (or whatever you're trying to earn) while your at it or fly a different airline,plane,product, etc... than normal, then why not? If I've got the time, I will certainly look at alternative bookings just to spice it up a little bit.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TuxTom
As a few others have said, it's not always just about saving money, but making those most of the flights without blowing your budget. So if you can save a few bucks and get a few extra MQMs (or whatever you're trying to earn) while your at it or fly a different airline,plane,product, etc... than normal, then why not? If I've got the time, I will certainly look at alternative bookings just to spice it up a little bit.
A while back I tried to "spice it up" by flying non stop on Southwest instead of Delta connecting.... get home sooner I figured. Well spiced it up I did, delayed so much I would have got home sooner on Delta with the connection. And this was before they grounded their MAX planes. I am all for spicing it up, but the try a different airline thing was a fail for me. YMMV
ACCDraw and MEABFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.