Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How do you decide when to pay the Medallion Tax?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you decide when to pay the Medallion Tax?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
The funny thing about BE is I always check in at exactly T-24 and I am surprised to usually get a preferred window seat. Once I even got Comfort. I have yet to receive a middle seat. I think there is something in their seat allocation software to still give preferred seats to medallions as opposed to status being irrelevant for BE seat assignments.
I notice the same.

I will also check EF a little before T-24 and compare the flight load for Y vs the seat-map. If the seat-map is pretty full (with the exception of the preferred seats) and there is a decent amount of C+ open compared to how many Y tickets are still being sold, I will actually delay checking in the hopes I do not get an automatic seat assignment. Then I hope for the gate assignment to C+ as GM. Small sample size, but appeared to work twice for me over the weekend.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Bowgie
That's a five hour flight! On a sample booking, the medallion tax is $20 each way. You're a Diamond. I hope you are getting the first class upgrades at least sometimes!
Yes, 7/10 so far this year, and I buy cheapest main cabin fare.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
DL was the first US carrier to offer BE. It's been 5+ years.

Just like people who still bemoan NW, it's time to move on.

Choose the cabin and fare basis which suits your needs. If you choose to be a captive to DL, that is also a choice.
While the fares have existed for that long, the fare difference has continually crept up - $70 or more is not uncommon these days, when it was more like $20 originally. I think if they keep changing the program, it’s appropriate to keep complaining about it.
Spiff and MCO Flyer like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I won't fly Basic Economy. I'm the sucker that Delta and the other airlines want, I'm too attached to my status and the benefits that come with it. I want the flexibility of SDC or stand by, I want the extra MQD to requalify. So I always pay the medallion tax.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I will never, for any reason, select a BE ticket.
I don't call it medallion tax, I call it paid seat selection. I check whether the flight is available on AF or KLM for the BE price. A lot of times it is. As a Delta PM I can select seats on AF for free. It doesn't give me access to C+, but I have enough drink coupons to knock me out.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by BenA

While the fares have existed for that long, the fare difference has continually crept up - $70 or more is not uncommon these days, when it was more like $20 originally. I think if they keep changing the program, it’s appropriate to keep complaining about it.
The fare differential will continue to increase so long as DL is able to find willing purchasers. While that data is, of course, proprietary, one would presume that DL is finding willing buyers.

There is only one way to affect pricing and that is for a sufficient number of passengers not to fly. The opposite is apparently happening.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
I’ll do Basic on flights less than 500 miles, and if traveling alone. I’ll never do basic when traveling with my kids.
bloc0102 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Life Diamond, Hertz Presidents, former US former Charimans
Originally Posted by Bowgie
I'm a Diamond, but Delta can go take a hike if they think I'll pay the medallion tax for a crap upgrade.
I would thumbs down this kind of sentiment if I had the option. Nobody is sitting at a desk trying to mess with you. Also this whole concept of Basic Economy being invented as a "medallion tax", that description is wrong. It was invented to compete with Spirit and Allegiant in search results on Travelocity and Kayak. There are real human factors at play with price sensitive consumers seeing a list of possible flights on meta-engine search results. If your flights don't show up on the first page, you aren't making that sale. It's Delta's flavor of a bare bones offering to show up lower in the "sort by price" on booking sites, and they had to strip out everything they could to meet that price point internally.

Describing the price difference between Basic Economy (E) and V Main Cabin as "medallion tax" completely gets the point of it wrong and implies the wrong genesis of the product. Plus it's a term meant to be intentionally shocking or as someone else wrote "clickbait". The title of this post could have been "how do you decide when it is worth saving $ with basic economy or paying for regular main cabin tickets?", and been a better, happier, question.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by brillb
Describing the price difference between Basic Economy (E) and V Main Cabin as "medallion tax" completely gets the point of it wrong and implies the wrong genesis of the product.
No. The genesis of the product was to turn the previously lowest main cabin fares into basic fares, and extract additional revenue from those "choosing away" from basic. For Delta at least.

For AA and United, it may have been more about what you're referring to, as they did strip their product itself down...but for DL, it was all about the revenue potential.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by brillb
I would thumbs down this kind of sentiment if I had the option. Nobody is sitting at a desk trying to mess with you. Also this whole concept of Basic Economy being invented as a "medallion tax", that description is wrong. It was invented to compete with Spirit and Allegiant in search results on Travelocity and Kayak. There are real human factors at play with price sensitive consumers seeing a list of possible flights on meta-engine search results. If your flights don't show up on the first page, you aren't making that sale. It's Delta's flavor of a bare bones offering to show up lower in the "sort by price" on booking sites, and they had to strip out everything they could to meet that price point internally.

Describing the price difference between Basic Economy (E) and V Main Cabin as "medallion tax" completely gets the point of it wrong and implies the wrong genesis of the product. Plus it's a term meant to be intentionally shocking or as someone else wrote "clickbait". The title of this post could have been "how do you decide when it is worth saving $ with basic economy or paying for regular main cabin tickets?", and been a better, happier, question.
The marketing and press releases appear to have really worked on you. When I fly from small City A to small City B and "main cabin" is $70 more than it used to be in a pre-BE world with no LCC in site anywhere near these city pairs...it is hard not to see it as a simple arbitrary increase in revenue for DL for the same thing I used to get.
Spiff, btonkid12345 and J0lt_C0la like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.