Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How do you decide when to pay the Medallion Tax?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you decide when to pay the Medallion Tax?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by bsagator
I'm 6'6 with a shaky lower back who mainly flies LAX-MCO-LAX 1-2x/month. I've never purchased a BE ticket, and I pay for the tickets out of pocket. It's not worth the risk.
That's a five hour flight! On a sample booking, the medallion tax is $20 each way. You're a Diamond. I hope you are getting the first class upgrades at least sometimes!
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:26 pm

The funny thing about BE is I always check in at exactly T-24 and I am surprised to usually get a preferred window seat. Once I even got Comfort. I have yet to receive a middle seat. I think there is something in their seat allocation software to still give preferred seats to medallions as opposed to status being irrelevant for BE seat assignments.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bowgie
That's a five hour flight! On a sample booking, the medallion tax is $20 each way. You're a Diamond. I hope you are getting the first class upgrades at least sometimes!
It's interesting how the Medallion tax is calculated. It's basically a fixed fee that is applied to each city-pair. Sometimes there is some variation beyond this, but it is pretty typical.

There is a small correlation to distance, but that correlation is not that great. City pair and the likely nature of travel (business vs. leisure) is likely the more significant driver.

For example, the ATL-BNA premium is usually $70 difference round trip. This is less than a 30 minute flight from wheels up to wheels down. Compare this to ATL-PDX- obviously a much, much longer flight - where the difference is also $70. Compare this to ATL-MCO where the difference is only $30 (which is a noticeably longer flight than ATL-BNA, while still much shorter than ATL-PDX) but the "base flow" is almost 100% leisure rather than a business/leisure mix like an ATL-LAX or even ATL-BNA would be.

While I would probably drive ATL-BNA anyways, that would be a no brainer to pick BE unless I really wanted a SDC.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Sometimes it’s even less, only $15 I’ve never seen it more than $20 on MCO-LAX. Yet a short 2 segment flight from MCO-ATL-BNA is typically $40-$45? Where did DL get the algorithms for these BE fares from?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
SAN-LAS is an EMB-170/175 with no middle seat. OP says IAD-LGA is an A220 with a middle seat on one side. I haven't flown the A220, but the middle seat couldn't be all that bad -- and only 20% odds with five seats per row.
20% odds if all seats were available at the time seats were assigned at the same time. But people are selecting seats in advance and depleting the number of available window and aisle seats. The statistic to determine your odds of getting a middle seat are number of passengers needing a seat assignment and middle seats versus other seats at the time those with a BE ticket are assigned a seat. If more window/aisle seats remain than people needing a seat, your odds og getting a middle seat are likely pretty low. If the only seats remaining are middle seats, then you're odds of getting a middle seat are more like 100%.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 2:40 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
On the other hand did the medallion tax increase upgrades? since a decent percentage of medallions can't get upgrades
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
The funny thing about BE is I always check in at exactly T-24 and I am surprised to usually get a preferred window seat. Once I even got Comfort. I have yet to receive a middle seat. I think there is something in their seat allocation software to still give preferred seats to medallions as opposed to status being irrelevant for BE seat assignments.
Software definitely prioritizes Medallions at check-in. Before I knew that the last rows could be unblocked in advance, I used to always wait until check-in to get a seat automatically assigned when there were only middle seats available to select (which is quite frequent on some routes) - I'd almost always end up with one of the blocked aisle or window seats. I only got a middle once, and that is when the entire row 36 was filled with Diamonds.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by hotturnip
I've gotten exit row/Preferred seats on Basic Economy before. Just selected one at checkin. So you can take that one off the list.
Definitely not always the case. A lot of the standbys at the gate are BE passengers that weren't able to select a seat during check-in. I've seen plenty of seat maps completely full before check-in.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by defrosted
Don't get me wrong, I hate BE as much as the next poster... but isn't that choice pretty normal in our day to day lives?
I didn't address this in my post because it's a bit OT, but in short: in a proper free market competition would reduce prices or increase the quality of the product. When prices go up or quality is reduced (as is the case with BE), it could be because of a natural scarcity, or it could be because the market is not truly free and competition is not properly functioning. (Or I'm sure some would argue here: the consumer has spoken and wants to pay the same for a worse product, but I struggle to believe that most people, given the choice, would pay more for a worse product.)
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:16 pm

If one is willing to connect then there are plenty of choices. But DL has a monopoly on many nonstop routes.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethernal
The fact that so many people have said they will never purchase a BE ticket is proof that it has been effective.
Well....I’ve been known to just purchase on JetBlue for the same price as DL’s BE, and I get my seat assignment, extra legroom, and snack basket!
(But I suppose this won’t last forever.)
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well....I’ve been known to just purchase on JetBlue for the same price as DL’s BE, and I get my seat assignment, extra legroom, and snack basket!
(But I suppose this won’t last forever.)
Minus questionable ops, Jetblue is dreamy (new densification efforts aside).
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bennos
I didn't address this in my post because it's a bit OT, but in short: in a proper free market competition would reduce prices or increase the quality of the product. When prices go up or quality is reduced (as is the case with BE), it could be because of a natural scarcity, or it could be because the market is not truly free and competition is not properly functioning. (Or I'm sure some would argue here: the consumer has spoken and wants to pay the same for a worse product, but I struggle to believe that most people, given the choice, would pay more for a worse product.)
Yes, let's bring back the CAB so we can have a "proper" free market. There's a clear shift going on from the legacy to ULCC/LCC model. It may be going on in fits and starts, but it is going on. In the end, there will probably still be a place for the legacy airlines for those who are willing to pay a premium. In the end, I trust the market more than know-it-all, all-powerful regulators who often end up just creating some form of crony-capitalism instead of creating a "proper" free market.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
On the other hand did the medallion tax increase upgrades? since a decent percentage of medallions can't get upgrades
My guess is that most frequent travelers and especially medallions tend to avoid BE tickets. This would be especially true of those on corporate travel accounts which would generally not require (or even permit) the purchase of such restrictive tickets.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by xliioper
Yes, let's bring back the CAB so we can have a "proper" free market. There's a clear shift going on from the legacy to ULCC/LCC model. It may be going on in fits and starts, but it is going on. In the end, there will probably still be a place for the legacy airlines for those who are willing to pay a premium. In the end, I trust the market more than know-it-all, all-powerful regulators who often end up just creating some form of crony-capitalism instead of creating a "proper" free market.
I didn't say anything about bringing back CAB or "all-powerful regulators", but this is OT and we can take it to OMNI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.